Aliner Skylight Restoration Question

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by HEATHEN0042, Sep 6, 2018.

1. HEATHEN0042

HEATHEN0042 New Member

Hello everyone,
    I recently purchased a 2000 Aliner. This is a pretty straight forward question. The skylights are pretty oxidized. I would like to remove the oxidation. I have some rubbing compound for headlights. I did a small test spot and it seemed to be alright. Would this be suitable or is there a better method to restore the windows without causing damage or ruining them? Thanks for your input in advance.

Rik Peery likes this.
  2. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

They're made of polycarbonate, wife's glasses are of the same material; think you have to be careful what/how you clean 'em, might call & ask a company rep... 1-724-237-5227, hope this helps...

HEATHEN0042 likes this.
  3. HEATHEN0042

HEATHEN0042 New Member

Thanks for the input. I already have an email into the company but haven't heard anything back yet. Ill give them a call tomorrow.

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. Rik Peery

They should be back in touch, no probs when I had a few questions back in June; wife cleans her glasses w/ dawn detergent, but it sounds like that wouldn't do cut it in your case; post when you find out something if you would for future reference...

HEATHEN0042 likes this.
  5. HEATHEN0042

HEATHEN0042 New Member

Absolutely it's a handy bit of information to have. Especially for older Aliners.

Rik Peery likes this.
  6. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

Novus plastic polish is the recommended thing. Be very careful and don't push hard.

7. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Active Member

NOVUS is recommended by Aliner reps. I called them a few years ago. It’s also in the owner’s manual.

Work in small areas at a time. It’s hard to rub off once dried. Don’t use any power tools. You don’t want to rub off the protective coating with a power tool.

It’s also recommended as annual maintenance. We do our polycarbonate windows each year so it won’t build up and become harder to remove later.

https://www.amazon.com/Novus-7100-P...leaner+kit&dpPl=1&dpID=51My7fn8qlL&ref=plSrch

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

Rik Peery and HEATHEN0042 like this.
  8. DiamondGirl

You’ll get a quicker response by calling ColumbiaNorthWest than email.

They’re really good about answering phone calls. Great customer service.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

HEATHEN0042 likes this.
  9. HEATHEN0042

HEATHEN0042 New Member

Thank you all for your input! I will go with the Novus polish. I will let you all know how it comes out!

Rik Peery likes this.
  10. Rik Peery

I use OFF bug repellent on my old '98 Tacoma headlights when they cloud up, spray on, then rub & wipe off w/ an old sock, pal told me about it, works for a couple of months, but will use the civilized method for window cleaning...

HEATHEN0042 likes this.
  11. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

I just returned from a trip with other Aliner Owners. When I saw the clear windows of a new Aliner, I realized that I needed to tackle mine. Unfortunately, I was parked under a tree and my rear window was covered in sticky spots.
    Work in progress...using Novus 2. Once the window was clean, I finished with Novus 1 as recommended by the manufacturer.
    Rear window from the outside:
    703B196E-0E42-4CFB-815F-97B95C8F27A2.jpeg

...and from the inside:
    FF1D373F-D356-498F-9787-38197466742E.jpeg

DiamondGirl and Rik Peery like this.
  12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

a suitably fine grade of wet and dry sandpaper will also work - I it used on my daughters Corolla headlights

13. Econ

Econ Active Member

Like 2000 grit?

14. Econ

Econ Active Member

I wonder if storing outside makes the bubble clouded and covering it with something would prevent?

15. Econ

Econ Active Member

Like 2000 grit?

16. OneTruth

OneTruth New Member

I recent tackled my cloudy skylights - an adventure that is still ongoing. Bought Novus as suggested, with amazon 5pack of polishing disks. Tried by hand w included polishing cloth first but takes a lot of effort for a large surface area. Bought a harbor freight polisher w/ 1000 rpm setting as directed - do NOT go faster or will melt polycarbonate into tan splotches that are hard to wear away. Sprayed No 3 droplets all over the place on the polishing process. Hard to control thickness of polish film w curved surface and flat pad, dries quickly. Thin haze removed well w/pad used for application. Thick residue areas were extremely hard to remove (easiest to add more compound and buff, scrubbing w water left scratches that needed retreating). Would grunt it out and do by hand if I had to do it over. Still not done and need to do No 2 and finish w No 1

Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
  17. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

yup

18. DiamondGirl

Be careful with sanding... you’re taking the protective coat off the polycarbonate window. That’s why it’s not recommended to use any type of sand paper. It’s also frowned upon to use a electric buffer for the same reason. CNW manufactures Aliners and they only recommend the Novus kit to be used with hand powered buffing. Novus is listed in the owner’s manual and I called CNW for confirmation and tips.

Novus works but it’s best to apply in small sections at a time. After getting it done the first time, it’s easier after. It’s recommended to be completed annually. The PO of my Aliner didn’t do it so when I got the Aliner, there were a couple of years in build up. I’ve been doing ours each year for the last 5 years.

Happy Camping [ALPU][PUT]