Aliner Skylight Restoration Question

Discussion in 'A-Frame PopUps' started by HEATHEN0042, Sep 6, 2018.

1. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

A quick check of Amazon reviews says it is picky on application, and works best at speed. My opinion is that it's not worth it for us, since unless the wind is howling there would not be enough airflow to move the water off the window. But I could be wrong.

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

our bubbles skylights are not clear and thats ok for privacy

3. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

If I remember correctly, you had to buff your windows once they were quite cloudy the first time. Ours are 3yrs old and I'm trying to decide if we should start buffing them or if it's a "once you start it keeps needing to be done more" type thing. Any opinion? I have noticed they are not as clear anymore but I'm arguing with myself whether I should start buffing them now or wait till they really need it.

4. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

I'd start restoring the windows. They'll keep clouding over regardless. Only needing to do Novus 2 instead of Novus 3 and then Novus 2 will save time and your arms.

And, these windows are hard to buff out by hand. Touching up a few areas took some work. A DA polisher on low speed will work fine without burning the plastic.

Enigmacamper likes this.
  5. Enigmacamper

Enigmacamper Active Member

How much work are we talking here? I mean if they're slightly clouded and you're doing it by hand are we talking like 30 minutes per window or 3 hours?

6. A-Ranger12

A-Ranger12 Active Member

I'd block off 45 minutes per window for doing two passes by hand. It took me an hour per window with the DA polisher.

Tips: get a ladder for the back window any way you tackle it. For the front, I removed the propane tanks and used the platform to stand on. Worked well. Might want to put the roof up if doing it by hand, or the tops of the windows will be difficult to reach.

Hope it goes well!