alittle help please? duo therm cool cat?

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by 40thmustanggt, Mar 17, 2012.

1. 40thmustanggt

40thmustanggt New Member

hello everyone, im new and im trying to get my pop up fixed. i hope this is the right place to post this. so i have a 99 dutchmen 1203 classic and it came with the cool cat ac/heat pump installed in the side of my camper. it recently went out and i can not find anything on it to purchase a new one. can someone please help me out? or should i just go roof unit? how would i close the hole in the side of my camper up and make it look good? someone please give me some tips or point me in the right direction. thanks a bunch!

-John

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

[:D] Welcome from Connecticut, happy camping, enjoy. [CP] Is that like a marine unit or large RV unit? http://www.dometic.com/f0493afb-4b19-459b-9a70-a6532be76248.fodoc
    A photo of the exterior grille, etc of the unit may help us give you suggestions. But before you tear in it out, I would have it checked by a professional if it fits nice and isn't jury rigged.

3. tlgenterprises

tlgenterprises New Member

Somehow, I was under the impression that if the A/C on a camper is not on the rooftop, it was installed by PO.

4. 40thmustanggt

40thmustanggt New Member

5. 40thmustanggt

40thmustanggt New Member

by the way ive also tried calling that number.. yea its no longer in service haha..

6. rabird

rabird Howdy!

7. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Looks pretty cool to me too.

9. 40thmustanggt

40thmustanggt New Member

thats it! any idea on where to get a new one? i already have the old one out.. the little unit is fairly nice my only complant is there loud and they dont distribute air very well nothing a small fan won't fix though

10. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

May want to check with a Chalet dealer or a Jayco Skylark dealer.They both include the Duo Therm Cool Cat's. From what I can see from the Dometic /Duo Therm website they don't even offer them.

11. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

I am very interested in one of these AC units. A two hour internet session and I don't have anything yet. Where can you get one of these?

Phoodieman

12. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

See my posts above...It doesn't appear that you can. Dometic requires installation plans to be submitted and approved before releasing them.Unless you are going to install it in a couple thousand PUPs I don't see them reviewing the plan and selling you one.

13. crusher

crusher New Member

I have one in my 98 Dutchmen 1203 it works great but like you said is a little loud and will blow your curtains around a lot.

14. phoodieman

phoodieman Active Member

Bummer. I found some what of an equiviliant for big coaches, but it was some 35,000 BTU's and ran 3K. Way out of my range or what I need. May be Ebay or Craigs List.

Phoodieman

15. 40thmustanggt

40thmustanggt New Member

thats really stupid they would put a unit like this in. that you cant get a replacement or find parts for. so i guess i'll be going roof unit any thoughts on how i should close the hole in the side of my camper? and what would be a good unit? will my lift handle the added weight of a roof unit? like i said my model is a 99 dutchmen classic 1203.. thanks for the help guys!

16. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

I bet you could get a replacement...you just need to go to an RV dealer that handles Dometic (ie ALL of them) and have them get it for you.In your case the hard part is taken care of,they have already reviewed and approved the installation plan so it shouldn't be a problem. I have to ask though when you say it "went out" what do you mean? It is probably serviceable the only thing that would stop it from being repaired is if it dumped it's refrigerant and even then you may be able to get an hvac guy to find and fix the leak and then recharge it.

17. 40thmustanggt

40thmustanggt New Member

actually it still works. the problem is the plastic cover on the outside of the camper came off and a bird got inside of the ac and made a nest in the fan and fan shroud so its all warped up and won't run. ive tried everything i can to fix it. the only thing that works is a block of 2x4 wedge between the top of the ac frame and cabinet and i don't like rigging things to work i want it right.

if i can buy just the shroud and fan ill be in business. but not being able to find parts or even a unit i figured it would be a loss. we have a camping world near by i'll give them a call in the morning and see what they say. i'll post back with an update. again thanks for all the help guys!

18. 40thmustanggt

40thmustanggt New Member

well no luck so far. ive called camping world and 6 rv places im waiting on two places to call me back now there calling the manufacturers that make my camper and my unit. i was told the best thing to do is just go roof unit. but what do i do about the gapping hole in the side of my unit? and just a thought. would a house hold window unit work in my camper? basicly thats what a coolcat was right?

19. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

A window A/C unit would work but not as well simply because of size. As far as a vent cover you could always go to a siding shop and have a louver unit made.

20. crusher

crusher New Member

You could try an a/c parts place for the fan and a sheetmetal shop should be able to fabricate a shroud as for your roof and lift system being able to handle a roof a/c it should be no problem.My 98 Dutchmen 1203 has the cool cat but also has the two metal a/c supports on each side of the roof vent does yours have these braces?