All composite no wood construction?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Makin moves, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Paul in Nanaimo

Paul in Nanaimo Member

They could build units out of the most modern composites or plastic garbage bags; as long as owners cover the roof with holes for all the "extras", they are going to leak.

Paul in Nanaimo

Makin moves likes this.
  2. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I'm a little sad they haven't come up with a better door yet for their popups. I wouldn't like unzipping the top of the door and unlatching the bottom.

3. nhlakes

nhlakes Well-Known Member

True, having to unzip the door, took extra time on my LL QS10, but they're truly tent trailers rather than popups. The engineer in me loved the simplicity of the design and the all aluminum construction. Just take a look at all the water damage threads on all the camper forums and it's easy to see the value of an all aluminum construction. As I have said before, if LL had an Aframe I would have checked it out prior to buying the Aliner.

[​IMG]

WunFiddy and Makin moves like this.
  4. Makin moves

Makin moves New Member

True but a least it wouldn't rot out.

5. Makin moves

Makin moves New Member

Now that's what I'm talking about! No rot, no mold!

6. tfischer

Just seems like they could add a simple doorframe like my Palomino uses with a half door, and have the tenting hook to that. Would solve my biggest complaint with the QS trailers.

7. KJ Knowles

KJ Knowles Member

The Safari Condo Alto series is all composite and aluminum construction. I really coveted one of the "R" series (still a pop-up of sorts...), but it was about 50% more than the Aliner we eventually decided on and that was already tough on the budget.

http://www.safaricondo.com/en/caravanes

A YouTube video from the "How It's Made" television series showing fabrication of an Alto "R":

Apparently the price isn't hurting sales. I spoke last month with a friend who is considering one and he said the wait time is 8 months. :shocked:

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
    jnc, WunFiddy and Makin moves like this.
  8. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

9. frankvanw1

frankvanw1 London, Ontario, Canada

My brother just bought one and picked it up last month. It was through their few dealers: Can am RV in London, Ontario.
    $30,000 CA plus he purchased a custom made hitch $2,000 for his Honda Accord. Very, very pricey in my opinion.

10. HotelRoyale

HotelRoyale Member

The infamous Coleman ABS roof may have made other manufacturers leery of composite roof reliability? I still think one-piece/no seam plastic roofs are a great idea, but the weakness of ABS plastic to UV rays doesn't mean other materials couldn't be used with better success. PVC maybe?

KJ Knowles likes this.
  11. WunFiddy

WunFiddy Member

The word composite doesn't help, as it doesn't specify anything other than a material made of two or more materials.
    For many, composite brings non wood products to mind.

As far as the fiberglass industry goes, Escape, Casita, Scamp, Oliver all use single or double hull construction, but the design obviously doesn't allow any sort of popping out. As the OP asked though, could a pop up roof be made in a similar fashion?

Where we camp, the opening walls and ends of a pop up are sufficient for AC. I'd personally like nothing but an awning on my roof. No top holes, and preferably the awning mounted to structure. Top mount AC's are popular because they don't eat up interior storage space like in the Livin Lite quicksilvers, and layout doesn't affect the air throw too much.

"The infamous Coleman ABS roof may have made other manufacturers leery of composite roof reliability? I still think one-piece/no seam plastic roofs are a great idea, but the weakness of ABS plastic to UV rays doesn't mean other materials couldn't be used with better success. PVC maybe?"

I know ABS ends up being used for a lot of things ABS isn't good at. For years venting gas appliances with ABS piping was acceptable here. And because its terrible in that application, new rules were put in place to use a specific grade of PVC and CPVC for venting flue gasses on gas/propane fired appliances.
    I don't know if PVC is the ticket, but i am sure something other than a particle board and OSB roof with a plastic panel and some caulk would make a better roof.

12. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

The Somerset campers have a one piece aluminum-skinned roof over an aluminum and steel skeletal framework, bound together with steel bracing, rivets and screws, so barring a tree or rock falling on it and breaking through the skin, it is pretty waterproof.

Whiteycracker likes this.
  13. WunFiddy

WunFiddy Member

The somersets certainly seem to be built with some better ideas in mind. Too bad in my case the closest dealer is 8 hours away, and even then thats in the USA, and i am canadian, so buying gets a hair more complicated.

14. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

maintenance, maintenance, maintenance prevents wood rot.

15. WunFiddy

WunFiddy Member

This forum is hilarious.
    Mention you want a particular product, and half the people come back with "you don't need that just take care of what you have"

Whiteycracker likes this.
  16. Tukee44

Tukee44 Member

Really? The Aliner uses this Perform Max 500 Wood Composite floor now. I like it. Knock on wood.

17. tfischer

Someone else above mentioned that the term "composite" by itself is meaningless, because it can mean too many different things. The "composite" I was thinking of is totally different that the composite in your link above.