Alleviate wife's concerns

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by kcormier19, Feb 1, 2021.

1. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Kyle,

Your biggest issue may actually be finding places to boondock with a popup camper, here in the northeast there is very limited places where dispersed camping is allowed. In Massachusetts there is none I know of, here in New Hampshire, as well as in Vermont there are a few places for dispersed camping, however they are limited and well known. There may be 3 sites along this fire road, or 6 or 7 on that road, etc. They'll be spaced out but you are likely to encounter others.

But you can't just pull over wherever you'd like in a popup and camp, not in this area of the country. I would suggest you might want to consider trying the established state and federal campgrounds in the national forest. The national forest campgrounds especially are well spaced, often separated by enough thick trees you can't see your neighbor.

1380ken likes this.
  2. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

We learned to practice bear/animal safety with properly putting away items that attract wildlife. I carried a camping knife and bear spray in my backpack. A decade after scouting, I still keep my camping knife in my hydration pack when walking through the forest to explore. The bear spray stays inside the trailer while camping with family and friends. Practice bear and animal safety when camping. Keep your campsite clean. Put away food and trash properly.

IMHO: Camping in a campground is more dangerous than in the wilderness. Humans are more WILD than wildlife.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

dbhost, Sherronlee and Susan Premo like this.
  3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I think of it more as: Camping in the wilderness is even safer than camping in a campground - unless you add in the camper's own stupidity.

Neither is really dangerous in a "something's gonna get you" way. But your own stupidity can get you into worse trouble in the wilderness requiring others to come rescue you.

Most problems in campgrounds consist of drunk and/or macho men/boys trying to out Clint Eastwood the other. Leave the Clint Eastwood attitude at home and you won't have a problem.

DiamondGirl likes this.
  4. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ Diamond Supporting Member

@Toedtoes... I know what you mean about the Clint Eastwood syndrome. I live in the AZ Wild West... Everyone’s packing and unfortunately so are the CRAZIES... I’ll take my chances with Yogi the Bear and Wile E. Coyote in the wilderness.

Happy Camping...[ALPU][PUT]

5. Toedtoes

Yeah, I have family that does that. I don't spend a lot of time with because it is always a machofest.

At least the wild animals don't want to have a confrontation with me. Give them an exit route and they will take it.

Susan Premo and DiamondGirl like this.
  6. Lei Zhao

Lei Zhao Member

Nobody tell her 38 is not effective on self defense? Neither to 2 legged nor 4 legged. 9mm at least, or a bear spray. Bear spay is much more effective for a not well trained shooter.

7. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

A bear will not stand and take multiple 22 long rifles rounds to the face. Per one of my hunting guide No you can not pop him a couple of times at close range to the body and turn him. You land 4 or five to the face and you will turn him. This is per one of my hunting guides in Alaska. I am scared to death of bears. I refuse to river fish for salmon when bears can be seen in the area. My buddy said what are you afraid of the guide has a 44 mag. A bear makes greased lightning look slow. A bear charging from 100 yards your pistol in your back pack you are dead or wish you were. You have to be making hits before he is on top of you. I will agree that a 9mm is all but worthless on a crazed dope head human. You better be hitting him in the face and the brain also. People that decide to arm them selves need to do 3 things. 1. Learn how to shoot 2. Never try to bluff with a weapon. A real bad guy is familiar with fire arms. He see's you with a gun he is coming out with his blazing away or he is going to try to take yours away from you and shoot you. 3. Be sure you can live with your self if you kill someone. If you can't answer yes on all of those then don't arm yourself. If you pull is you need to be shooting not yelling stop or you may wind up dead.

8. Toedtoes

Thank you. I am amazed at the number of people who refuse to consider this. They have no idea of the emotional consequences involved with shooting a person - thinking it is no big deal.

kcsa75 likes this.
  9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I spent a week in the wilderness with a guide in the area with the densest grizzly population in the lower 48. The guide has been camping and hunting there for thirty years. All the guides carried sidearms. I asked about that ,if he could stop a charging bear. He laughed. He said no way he would try. A shotgun is what he carries for bear. The pistols are only used if they have to shoot one of the horses. I’ll add that he’s been guiding hunting and fishing trips to this area, the most remote spot in the lower 48 for thirty years and has never had to shoot a bear. Last year when he was riding to his camp he counted 21 grizzlies in one day. I took his word

10. Fish N Farm

A shot gun with no plug and 4/0 buck is the absolute best. 4/0 buck is better than larger shot because it puts more lethal shot in the air. And when you are wetting your pants more shot is good. We are not talking about killing one flat out 2 foot from your feet now. I carry a 45 and a 45 will stop one if you put rounds in him. You have to be able to shoot and shoot fast. Browning made a 338 win mag in their BAR semi auto. I have often thought about buying one of those in a 7 mag and having it rechambered to 338 win mag because I have never seen one in 338 win mag. We want to turn him and wear his behind out some more rounds. You are going to be hard pressed to drop one dead in his tracks with anything if he is in a full on charge at close range. I have seen 2 run 75-100 yards with 325 grain 375 in the chest. One it did not even knock him down until he ran 100 yards and collapse. I am going to call no way on 21 seeing grizzlies bears in the lower 48 or AK for that matter on the way to camp in one day a long stretch of the imagination. TV show guides don't even make statements like that.

11. gladecreekwy

His shotgun was loaded with buckshot first round and slugs after. As for his bear story. We were in the Thorofare just south of Yellowstone in the Teton Wilderness. Nine hours on horseback to his camp. During the fall there are dozens of grizzlies in that area, well documented. Next time you'er in Moran, Wyoming look him up and ask him yourself. Lynn Madsen, Yellowstone Outfitters. Believe me he's no "TV show guide"

kcsa75 likes this.
  12. Fish N Farm

So did you kill one of those 21 bears?

13. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

My wife had never even camped in a primitive campsite before I took her out. We're planning a trip in a few weeks to a very remote campground with possible boondocking as well, and I raised the same question that your wife raised. My wife shrugged and reminded me we have insurance, AAA, and a car that locks tight. It's really hard to get very far from people in the lower 48, and you're unlikely to get very far from towns as well. Be careful with sharp objects and heat sources, don't mash her fingers when you're folding up the camper, think twice about everything, and try to relax.

kcsa75 and gladecreekwy like this.
  14. unclemark

unclemark Overland Park, KS

I'm not sure 21 grizzlies would be an impossible one-day tally in the Greater Yellowstone area, even though there were only 728 there at last count.

https://www.nps.gov/yell/learn/nature/grizzlybear.htm

The estimated Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem grizzly bear population increased from 136 in 1975 to a peak of 757 (estimated) in 2014. The 2019 population estimate is 728 bears. The bears have gradually expanded their occupied habitat by more than 50%.Oct 21, 2020​

15. gladecreekwy

Here’s four at once. Slept in a tent there for a week. Luckily we had 12 horses and 15 mules in camp. Mules will run them off

Indiobravo and unclemark like this.
  16. Toedtoes

I wouldn't be surprised to see 12 grizzlies in one day at Yellowstone on the way to "camp". It is all in where the camp is located. There are camps pretty deep out there.

17. Fish N Farm

Yellow stone has no hunting so they have no pressure there. Yellowstone is basically an open zoo.

18. gladecreekwy

Can’t hunt grizzlies in the lower 48

kcsa75 and unclemark like this.
  19. Fish N Farm

I want to retract my statement on the 21 grizzly's being possible on the way in to camp in the lower 48. I was not thinking about the lower 48 my bad. I had my nephew call the guide he uses in AK and he yes that is possible because they have been protected so long. He also stated that there has been so much pressure from ranchers that he expects to see hunting to open back up on a limited basis on them and the grey wolf. When I get to go to AK I go as a ride along. Someone has backed out or group are paying x amount of slots and my nephew pays my slot. I do not shoot or pay any trophy fees. I am the guy sitting on the bank guarding while they are fishing. 338 win mag, shot gun, 10MM Colt. I actually would not shoot a bear except for defense. I don't like the meat and I don't have a high enough celling for a proper mount anyway. What I would like to kill is a Bison but, there is just too few of them for that. But trust me I have been closer to bears than I like and the fat beer belly SOG's are very fast! I would put them up against almost anything in Africa one on one. A Jumbo or a Cape maybe could kill one. I see video's of people out of their cars in parks around them and think their doctor must have told them they only have a few days to live.

20. Lei Zhao

Lei Zhao Member

I believe we are talking about self defensing, but not hunting. A shotgun or a semi auto rifle is more powerful, but a pistol of revolver is more practical for self-defensing when camping or other outdoor activities. Moreover, bear defensing with a firearm is also unpractical even people may argue with large pistol as 460 rowland, 10mm, or .50ae. I trust bear spray more. For 2 lagged attacker, I choose 9mm or .40 for meaningful power and continuous output. I saw 2 recent videos that a police to an approaching "armed" suspect, about 10 rounds to disarm the suspects. I don't put youtube link here directly. you can search aXpYqjKd8cE and v6QOttGeCKI to watch. That is why I won't choose .38 for self defense.