Alleviate wife's concerns

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by kcormier19, Feb 1, 2021.

1. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

2. Lei Zhao

Lei Zhao Member

Well, I assume the statistics you referee are correct, and I also assume your data from 5 years ago can still apply to nowadays. Between 11 states westside, only 3 states in front of CA, the gambling state, and Mexico border states AZ and NM.
    So proud of CA?
    And the correct statistics not count the number filtered out by the shoplifting law. Nobody knows how many numbers were reduced by that law. in most of US, broking a car window will be a serious police case, but in CA...... The result, you can search news
    “SFPD: Man throws hammer at car burglar, gets arrested”
    so nobody knows how many cases are hidden in CA.

According your observation, CA government issued at least 50% guns to irresponsible people. Maybe CA government can issue less guns to irresponsible people to help the number.

3. Lei Zhao

Lei Zhao Member

Because
    is an serious inappropriate accusation to all gun owners.

If somebody said 50% of your community, or 50% of your family are bad guys. What will you think?

Fish N Farm and firepit like this.
  4. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Okay I agree a little...But when the subject was brought up as a possible option
    for the OP when remote camping...Some portrayed gun owners with a blanket statement
    citing 1/2 of all gun owners they know as not responsible.
    Not telling us how many gun owners they actually know 1,2,10,20,30 etc etc.
    My whole thing is most ( And i don't have a number) are responsible.
    Its like anything else....There are bad eggs out there.
    There is no way of knowing...But I bet people would be shocked if they
    knew how many gun owners they have camp next to.
    I think the debate has been civil by all.
    Point noted...I will not post anymore on this subject.
    everybody else can have their last word.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    Fish N Farm, Eric Webber and Lei Zhao like this.
  5. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

All I know is my old nasty boss's son has conceal and carry, if you knew her, you'd be unhappy about that, hes as dumb as his mother. Otherwise, I've never really had an opinion on the subject. I was surprised when I was in Arizona and a lot of people carried, (in the '80's). And you could buy liquor anywhere. It was just strange, to me, being from Minnesota.

6. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

think its time for this thread to go away. Sorry i even mentioned firearms. Here is not a controversial subject, folks don't talk about guns because we all got em and don't make a big deal of it. They are tools not a political statement. Like religion and politics folks are never going to agree. Let talk about camping

Lei Zhao, firepit and Fish N Farm like this.
  7. Fish N Farm

Fish N Farm Well-Known Member

Toedtoes Would it be safe to assume that you really love your state? And that's good. I don't like the state because of its government. I know a lot of good people out and I still have a relative that lives out there. I would suggest that you arm yourself the lefts and the rights are getting so crazy you may need to protect your self. Those old codgers that wrote the constitution knew more than I ever dreamed men would know back then. an un armed populist will become pheasants.

Lei Zhao and Susan Premo like this.
  8. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

How come you guys can say so much about guns and I say one word and Steve kills the whole thread?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

No apologies needed...you were trying to help.
    Hopefully the OP gets out there with his wife and they have a great time.
    Wont be long till we can all get out there

10. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Well, like I've said in the past and will reiterate here. We have coyotes, wolves and mountain lions here and if we listened to the people who do not camp among them, we wouldn't be camping at all. Some responses to this from the past.

Carry a gun. Don't bring food. Don't camp, etc, etc.

In fact, my theory is :laugh:, the further people reside from all these animals who are about to eat us, the more common they devour anyone in the woods.

We are still camping around all these hungry animals......... [Guitar] But not now, we've been receiving snow daily, for the past 10 days....

11. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

y'all worry too much, about all sorts of things.

Fish N Farm and kcsa75 like this.
  12. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I have really tried to ignore this post, but I can't. This is a blatent threat to kill people of a differing political opinion. This is the type of rhetoric that just caused a national shockwave. And it has been liked.

I know Steve has really tried to keep this site politics-free and I appreciate that. But I will no longer post on this site as long as @Fish N Farm is here. Threatening to kill the people of California is as unAmerican as anyone can get and sick.

Fish N Farm likes this.
  13. Eric Webber

Eric Webber Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I don’t get that from his post, although I do disagree with him. I think that when you have a hammer, lots of things start looking like nails.

Around the world, we are all starting to split into our own little groups- our echo chambers. We filter out messages that we don’t want to hear. We see those outside the bubble as “THEM” and believe we know how they are worse than “US”. I hear it in “office worker vs trades”, I hear it in “left vs right”, in “city vs rural”. We all tell ourselves legends about our group and ghost stories about the others.

A place like this is a good one to be reminded that people from all walks of life can just get together online and talk about camping and campers.

14. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I respectfully asked that this thread go away and was ignored. Hoping admin would step in and turn this off. I regret mentioning firearms.

Eric Webber likes this.
  15. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Those same concerns are ones my wife AND I share at least in regards to theft at camp, but much like everything else in life, there are risks.

A lot of it depends on where you are. There are thieves all over. For me I feel far more confident boondocking than at a park campground as I am WAY more likely to have thieves come accross me or my stuff in a park campground.

If you want more confidence against theives and other bad actors, you will want hard sides isolating you from the risks of the outside world. But then again a jet flying overhead could lose an engine, plummet through your roof and crush you to death at any given moment. Again. Measure the risk vs. reward.

Hopefully my intent is coming through here in a somewhat tongue in cheek fashion. But let's boil it down to the basics of the matter. If you want to experience life, you have to take risks. If you stay wrapped up in a coccoon you never break out and experience what life has to offer. The good and the bad, the beautiful and the ugly.

I wouldn't advise trying to boondock in a pop up say in Queens, or the inner loop in Houston Texas for example, but at least on the Houston standpoint, spend an hour and a half down the gulf freeway and turn right at Sewall in Galveston and some Boondocking at San Louis Pass is hard to beat!

Pick your spot, give life a good go and enjoy the ride!

16. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Being just due east of you, I am more than curious about the comments about Meth cooking going on in the Sam Houston National Forest. I have heard about certain deep east Texas small towns having a meth problem, Vidor is specific, but don't know enough about it...

The same sorts of rumors persisted when I was in Arizona about Pot growers in the Rincon mountains. Never ran across anything, minded my own business, and kept my ability to defend myself within reach. Only issue I ever had was a Javalina that decided it didn't like me and ran me up a tree. Close enough range and I ended up with wild bacon in the freezer...

Susan Premo likes this.
  17. Fish N Farm

I have a friend who is a warrant officer for the DA's office in Conroe and he has some crazy arrest stories and it is happening on both sides of I-45 The people may not be in the woods but they are very close because the cops go in thru the NF at times. My friend says that meth cookers are much more dangerous that pot farmers.

Susan Premo likes this.
  18. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

In all fairness, there are some of the smaller towns along I45 up in that area that are pretty sketchy. Some of the locals just LOOK like they are doing meth, so no doubt.

I would much rather deal with pot farmers, or pot heads than anyone involved iwth Meth. That stuff is a real, uh... female dog...

Susan Premo likes this.
  19. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

Well that makes sense, their a just laid back sort.

20. Fish N Farm

It's like everything else. Stay alert to your surroundings, don't say anything and if things make you nervous pack up and leave. You could get car jacked going to the store in your neighborhood. The main reason I would not go boon docking that close to Houston is the trash. When I ran with one of the 4WD clubs around here we went on several trash clean up trips in the SHF and it was incredible nasty. We had at least 20 trucks with 2-3 people and we never made a real dent in the mess. That is one of the reasons I started running west rock crawling. Even the NF around Hot Springs was pristine compared to the stuff just north of Houston. I ran several day and night runs up HWY 59 and did not see much trash in the area. Those were fun with the SWFWD. WE even saw a few folks camping in the woods on those trips. Avoid deer season and spring turkey hunting like the plague. The locals don't like you being there at all during those times. We took about 3o jeeps to Hot Springs and ran a mini Easter Safari for all of those that could not go to the real Easter Safari at Moab. The turkey hunters were not happy we were there.