Almost went gray today...

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Rusty2192, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Well, I came within mere inches of going Gray today. I hadn’t woken up planning on buying and yet somehow ended up agreeing on a price on a small hybrid, only to back out at the last second.

I spend way too much time on Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace and this morning saw an ad for a 2005 Aerolite Cub 160 hybrid for a crazy low $2,250 within a few miles of the house. I figured it couldn’t hurt to go take a look. Long story short, he accepted my offer of $1,500 after finding a fair amount of rot. Then I immediately started getting buyer’s remorse as he went inside to ask his wife to take down the ad since they were getting bombarded by people asking about it.

Our little pup works great for what it is. I know it inside and out and its issues. The van tows it great and most importantly, it fits in the garage at home. We hadn’t been budgeting for a new camper, though with such a low price it would have been doable, though I would have needed to get a WDH. The repairs were a big question mark. It had some soft spots in the floor I probably could have just shored up some bracing, but the rear bunk was showing early signs of rot at the bottom near the hinge and that is a huge mystery to me considering the fiberglass skin is attached directly to it. The biggest potential for pain though is storage. I can’t keep it at the house due to HOA, so I would need to keep it 70 miles away at my Parents’ house. Or pay crazy storage fees.

In the end, when he came out I apologized profusely and said I needed to back out. He was actually relieved himself. Apparently his wife wasn’t happy with him accepting such a low offer when there were tons of other people interested. So in the end, we both came out better by backing out on the deal. I apologized for wasting his time and wished him luck. I’m sure he will be able get close to, if not all of, his asking price with the way the market is around here.

We’ll move on from the pup eventually, but today was just too soon and probably not the right trailer. There are too many fish in the sea to take a huge risk when not prepared for it. When we do decide to take the plunge, we’ll be ready.

F4156C85-E135-496D-9403-88ECF94C6356.jpeg

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We own this same trailer ...... love it ....it has a full bath ....... it has a BIG refrigerator ....... its eight feet wide.
    This is our second year and have made it just about how we want it. Yes it did replace the floor, but wasn't a big deal. Just replaced the galley cabinet (boy was it made cheap ...... almost as thin as cardboard) with nice plywood cabinets with a smaller sink and cooktop for more counter space.

3. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

Yes, the fridge is huge! I actually said that when he opened it. I think this will make a great camper for the right person. It just wasn’t the right time for me. I was thinking too much with my heart than my brain.

Milemaker13 likes this.
  4. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

sounds like you made the right decision for you and the family. Which is a lot smarter than buying something then deciding it will probably not be your best decision. Good Luck and happy camping

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, at least im not the olny one looking for deals. It seams every 2 weeks i see something like that i like. Then , i talk myself out of it, i want to go dark , but the reality is there is not much room gained, thats after its all set up. Yes probably easier, yes , more storeage, etc. I do love my pup, and hope to have it untill i cant, but man its tempting sometimes.

Rik Peery and neighbormike like this.
  6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Wise move dude on the back out, dang hard to sometimes...finding deals must be in our DNA, find myself glued to the various outdoor stuff for sale sections on the net, & oft times I wonder what the hay I'm doing; wife is afraid to leave me home alone lol...glad it worked out for you, I bought a new Aliner last June & a new Sylvansport Go this spring & need to store one of 'em, wife said once my retirement $$ is gone, I'll be on my own...the struggle is real...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  7. NEKPOPUP

NEKPOPUP Member

What is an HOA?

Never mind, just realized what that stands for