Aloha!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Steven Durand, Nov 24, 2021.

1. Steven Durand

Steven Durand New Member

Hello everyone,
    First time posting here. I've been a pop up owner since 2018, we currently have a 2012 Flagstaff MAC 176. We love it, but are looking for something with a little more space and more amenities. I've really been looking at pop ups with the toilet shower combo and also a slide for the dinette. Also have been thinking about a used high wall pop up. My concern with the high walls is the weight. Our tow vehicle is a 2015 Toyota SR5 Premium with a towing capacity of 4,700lbs. I've noticed that a lot of the dual axle high walls have a dry weight of around 3,500lbs so I've been looking at single axle High walls that seem to be around 2,800lbs. My questions would be, does anyone here tow a high wall camper with a Toyota 4runner? If so, is it single or dual axle? Do you use a weight distribution hitch? How does the 4runner handle towing the camper?

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

You also need to consider the larger "sail area" of the high wall. Although not as great as going to a travel trailer, it may well be a factor.
    Our own experience: We have an '05 4 Runner, rated for 5000# towing capacity. it did great with our sub-800# and 2500# standard-wall popups.On paper, it should have done well with our 3500# Retro travel trailer. The TT is taller than a high wall, although not as much as I expected; and it does have a rounded front. (It is higher now than when we towed with the 4Runner, since we had it lifted a bit more than it was originally.) In fact, it did do OK, until stressful situations, such as high winds, long climbs.
    If you are looking to stay under the 80% of tow weight often suggested, you'd be needing to stay under 3760#

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Aloha. Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. The greater the difference between tow capacity and towed weight, the lower the pucker factor.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  4. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota!

If I had a tow capacity of 4,700 lbs., I would not get a highwall.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. LilRed

LilRed Well-Known Member

Welcome from NY. Best to you in your adventures! I do have a wdh with my highwall. Factory tow at 6200 w my Durango, sorry I can’t help w your tv question.

6. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Welcome.png

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Happy Thanksgiving! Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I have a Toyota 4 runner and tow a Fleetwood Utah it's a step down from a high wall and personally I'm not sure it could handle the high wall especially if I was to camp in the mountains. My camper is 3000 weighed on the scales with my camping gear, if I have to tow with water in the tanks even more, camper has GVWR of 3600. In the mountains my Runner is working very hard and often the AC quits working as the engine is taking the power to use it where it needs it. I have a slide out and a toilet and an outside shower. I have a front trunk and double propane tanks and even added a larger battery so I'm now close to max on my hitch. I personally chose a camper without an onboard shower as I knew the kiddo who would try and make it "rain" in the camper. Besides I like the foot space without a shower. Just my opinion. I looked at a single axle high wall but discovered you are not given much carry capacity for gear if you were to weigh the camper on scales. If I had to add water the camper would already be over max. At least the one I was looking at. I also didn't like how the bunk end was above my head if I was on uneven ground. 99% of my campsites are uneven and would need a stool to get a bunk out. I love my runner but it does lack when it comes to towing.

9. megcabra

megcabra Well-Known Member

Welcome and greetings from North Carolina to the portal!

10. Steven Durand

Steven Durand New Member

The highwall that I'm looking at has a dry weight of 2,800lbs, hitch weight of 296. We never carry water in the holding tanks as every campsite we stay at has city water hook ups. We do not have kids, it's just me, my lady and my wiener dog. We really don't bring much gear with us at all, just bring a few chairs, some firewood, a very small bbq pit and an ice chest that goes in the back of the 4runner. We live in Louisiana, so we are pretty much on flat land 98% of the time. I'm 100% confident that the 4runner will pull the high wall camper without a problem, my main concern really is if I need to use a weight distribution hitch or not.

11. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

. Read your manual carefully regarding the WDH with your 4 Runner. On my 4 Runner the manual specifically said do not use WDH. However on my dad's 4 runner '06 V8 model he is allowed to use it. I honestly don't know what the difference is between his model and mine other than the engine. With my current setup I only use a sway bar and had few problems although my tongue weight is within limits.

12. Steven Durand

Steven Durand New Member

The only thing my manual says about any towing equipment is to use brakes after 1,600lbs and use sway control after 2,000lbs. I've never had any issues with sway with my current rig and don't really see me having any issues with sway even with the High Wall.

13. Steven Durand

Steven Durand New Member

A buddy of mine and myself stood on the back bumper of my runner and combined we weigh 380lbs and the runner only sagged about 7/8". Tongue weight of the High Wall I'm looking at is 290lbs, so I highly doubt I'll be sagging lower than the front end. So to me, the weight distribution hitch would be pointless.

kcsa75 likes this.