Already broke something, water inlet check valve

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Ralph Mccoy, Nov 2, 2021.

1. Ralph Mccoy

Ralph Mccoy New Member

I bought a 2021 clipper 107ls. I've not taken it out yet but already have to winterize it.
    I don't have a air compressor so I just used antifreeze in tank and I stuck my finger in the city water inlet and pushed the check valve until pink came out. I thought that was fine but now it sputters and spits out "water" when I use the pump and water tank. To be clear, it's anti freeze not water.
    Did I break the thing? What did I do wrong?
    What do I do now?

It's probably no big deal but I'm in-between heart broken and white hot rage.

Just like me to tear something up trying to keep it from being broken.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Push it in again a few times. It'd probably just partially stuck.

kcsa75, Ralph Mccoy and Raycfe like this.
  3. Ralph Mccoy

Ralph Mccoy New Member

I fiddled with it a bunch trying to get it to reset but it still sputters.

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

You can either replace it or get a plug from the hardware store to seal it when not using city water.

Ralph Mccoy likes this.
  5. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Do you have a way to pump antifreeze back the other way (normal flow)? Maybe it will reseat the check valve.

Dont let it get you down, there will be lots of other stuff to break later on.

Ralph Mccoy likes this.
  6. Ralph Mccoy

Ralph Mccoy New Member

7. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I wouldn't worry about it. I did the same thing with the same result a couple years ago. Miraculously, the next time we used the camper it had fixed itself.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Ralph Mccoy

Ralph Mccoy New Member

I didn't even have a funnel, lol.
    I did ok until I thought about the city water inlet. The "manual" didn't mention it. I thought "I'll just push that button in. Worst thing that'll happen is I'll get wet". Ugh.

9. Ralph Mccoy

Ralph Mccoy New Member

I hope that's the case here. Thanks for at least giving me hope.
    I know things are going to fail but I've yet to camp in the thing

10. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately thats how these things dont work. If thats the worst that happens you be ok.

kcsa75 likes this.
  11. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Oh man you went and pushed the check valve when there was pressure in the system still... Now you've done it...

From having done the samething almost annually for over 10 years with my TT.. it is an easy fix well easy is a relative term, more likes its as hard to fix as it is to reach the retainer nut on the back side of the City water connection as well as to remove the clamp and water line.. On my trailer it's easy..

The oring has rolled off the check valve, disassemble like I said above and seperate the connection.. BECAREFUL NOT TO LOOSE THE SPRING!!!.. Re seat the oring and reassemble everything...

In the mean time, go buy a plastic plug from your local RV place and screw it in.. thud has been my short term fix or the past 4 years...

12. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Good idea to keep a plug with you anytime you boondock anyway. I've learned they can fail without warning at the most inconvenient time. I used one for a whole season before finally replacing the check valve. You can get the in brass or plastic. I only ever seen one plastic one. I helped the guy on the site next to me replace it with a brass one after it broke and flooded his floor.

13. RV Satman

RV Satman New Member Gold Supporting Member

Just winterized my water supply lines a few days ago. No electric pump, no water heater, but I do have a few check valves. Found a great tool that allows you to fill city water line, keeping the flow working in the right direction. No holding the valve open, quick and easy. Hand pump, or city water hand pump. Coleman popup parts. About $25. Has two hoses that attach to the pump. One screws onto city water hook up, the other sticks into the rv antifreeze, pink stuff. Open your faucet, or faucets, one at a time. A few pumps till you see pink at the faucet and you're done. I also used the same hoses to put antifreeze in holding tank. No funnel needed.. Operated the hand pump on the sink till I saw pink, done.
    Took me 5 minutes for the whole job. 9(not including opening the pup up.)

14. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Active Member

Look at the bright side...things are falling apart in the driveway where they can be more easily fixed.