Aluminum boat transportation

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by Marioleos01, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Marioleos01

Marioleos01 New Member

I am looking to see if anyone takes a small aluminium fishing boat on the roof racks.
    I would really like to do this vs a Kayak. I am getting old and a small gas motor or electric trolling motor to get around vs kayak pedals.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

How heavy is the boat?

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I used to haul a 10' job boat on top of the pup. I used wood under it to spread the load across the roof.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Weight is going to be your limiting factor. That and if you have an AC on your pup roof. You will also have to be concerned about how tight you tie it down. I agree about spreading the load so you don't get pressure cracks. All that and still need to make sure you don't go over your pup's GVWR. It's doable. Something a friend of mine does is he bought an inflatable fishing boat that sits four and uses a small electric motor. It's the only way he can get his wife on the water as she refuses to touch a kayak.

5. Marioleos01

Marioleos01 New Member

200 lbs

6. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Somewhere there is a thread where someone built a frame mounted boat rack. It was mounted to the tongue and bumper and carried the weight just above the roof.