Alumititite roof factory replacement

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Gravelguy, Jun 30, 2020 at 12:49 AM.

1. Gravelguy

Gravelguy New Member

Hi all, first post. So, I’ve read all the info regarding how bad alumitite roofs have been for folks. We recently purchased a 2004 Coleman by Fleetwood Grand Tour Monterey with said roof. I went into it assuming the worst, but within a minute of looking at it, the original owner told me that the roof had been replaced in 2009 under warranty. As such, there are no screws holding the accessory rails down (no screw holes in the rails either).

From what I can tell, there is no water damage in this 16 year old pup, but I have not heard any success stories with this roof configuration either. We got this thing for what I believe to be a steal for its overall condition, but I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop. I know I need to do some preventative maintenance on the the seam sealing, but what else should I be looking for....or did I actually get a good one?

thanks in advance!

2. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Hard to say exactly what maintenance routine you should follow with this replacement roof as you haven't told us just what roof you now have - Filon? or seamless aluminum? or conventional aluminum with a centre seam? [?:~{] Most often a pic is worth a 1000 words. ;)

3. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Grey Fox. ...he mentions he has the replacement with rails. Just not screwed down. Probably the 3 piece with glues down rails.

If it shows no intrusion after 11 years I'd think just keep an eye on the rails and regular sealing/maintenance.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Gravelguy

Gravelguy New Member

Sorry, it has had an entire alumitite replacement roof installed in 09. I only ever hear horror stories, and I can’t find any evidence of others getting an entirely new roof (like ours appears to have). Nor can I find stories of folks having zero problems with theirs. Did the later alumitite roofs have roof tracks mounted with adhesive vs screws?

I have read all about the history of Fleetwood/Coleman, but there is little to no mention of how or if these alumitite roofs changed over the years.

I have to think that, like cars, you only hear about bad ones and not about the good?

5. myride

myride Well-Known Member

My understand yes to adhesive rather than screws....mine was dealer repaired in '08 (according ro PO) and hasn't had a problem since. I've owned it for 4 years and the only intusion I ever found was front corner cap and a reseal of that area stopped it.

6. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

I've not had a leak problem with my alumatite roof in the 5 years i've had it. The rails were screwed down and glued. I did, however, coat the whole roof in Henry's elastometric paint (589 is the name i think). I did that because the aluminum was starting to flake and corrode. Looks great now!

7. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

I had a 2004 Carmel that had the Alumitite roof for about 2 years, from '14 to '16. I was the third owner- zero water intrusion. Of course, this unit spent it's entire life in California- from Salinas to Bakersfield to Thousand Oaks, and then I sold it to a family in San Diego.
    Had I kept it, I was planning on taking off the rails, sealing the seams, and replacing the rails. I advised the new owner to do the same.

myride likes this.
  8. GreyFox

Fleetwood's Filon roof also had rails. ;) Odd that a replacement roof installed in 2009 would have been an AlumiTite which by that time had been discontinued for several years in favour of the Filon roof. A pic of the OP's roof would tell the tale.

9. Gravelguy

Gravelguy New Member

Here’s a shot of part of the roof anyway 40898F24-6BA8-4F60-8FF3-99AAA97BEA8D.jpeg

10. GreyFox

Yep, that's an AlumiTite roof - best keep an eye on it! ;) I think if it were mine I'd probably want to park the trailer either in the garage or under a protective shelter so it's only exposure to rain would be those times the camper was actually being used.

myride likes this.
  11. Gravelguy

Gravelguy New Member

For what it’s worth, the original owner said that it has only ever been stored outside, uncovered! I’m probably on borrowed time with roof maintenance. It’s high on the list!

myride likes this.