Alumnitite, rebuild or fix rails?

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by Jessiespense, Sep 6, 2021.

1. undara12

undara12 Member

I replaced the AC gasket before removing the rail. The cross section of the roof that I could see looked good and the gasket probably did not need replacing. The leak under the rail was found due to testing the new AC gasket in a rain.

I am still in the process of cleaning the Geocel from the roof and deciding what product to use for filling the holes.

Jessiespense likes this.
  2. undara12

undara12 Member

Found about 20 pin holes near the larger hole. I think I have some serious corrosion going on. I'm thinking about the 3M marine sealant for the pinholes but the label says "permanent." After removing the Proflex, I am a bit hesitant to use anything that is permanent.

3. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

The eternabond is more or less permanent. You need to fill the holes and get it sealed up.

You could cut a piece of aluminum and rivet it over the bad area. Cover the edges and rivets with eternabond. Just an idea…

4. Jessiespense

Jessiespense New Member

What ends up causing the corrosion? Is it that water gets in somewhere and the wet wood under the aluminum start the corrosion? If so I guess we both need to really make sure that the wood underneath is dry as well as all the holes being patched.