$alvaging a Coleman 413G Stove

Discussion in 'Pots, Pans, Grills, Other Cookware / Cleaning & Fo' started by WrkrBee, Sep 5, 2019.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Unintentionally, I had hijacked another thread and thought I should start a separate one. So, I got this at a church garage sale I was helping with. Tank still was in the shipping cardboard. It had been used just a little, but fuel left in the tank for years. Date code on tank bracket is 867. It sat there the whole time at $15 and did not move. Here's why. Rust. So it came home with me instead of letting it get trashed. (Rust pic)

I tried vinegar and was looking for advice. Sjm9911 helped me settle on Krud Kutter "Must for Rust" to clean the tank out with. All I could find was the Gel, which worked out well. I poured all 32 ounces in, plugged the generator port with a dowel, and put the cap on. Every hour or two I would roll the tank around to recoat the tank. After soaking for 9 hours today, this is looking down the fill neck to the tank bottom. (Tank pic)

Ran a borescope inside the fill port. This is looking at the bottom of the generator fitting port. (Port pic)

This is looking down the generator port. The light is reflecting off the pressure tube in the top left. (Tube pic)

This is what flushed out. (Trash pic)

I may try to give it a couple more hours to soak tomorrow, if I get a chance.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  2. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Looking good I think.... no pics.

Be-Ce likes this.
  3. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Your photo links are dead.

I'm not sure if the 413G and 425E use the same tank, but it might be possible to dredge up a replacement.

FWIW, I sourced up a bottom dollar 425F from an estate sale this past week. $19.99 MFG in 1985.

It took a tiny bit of spray paint, some oil in the pump, clean fuel and running the fuel control knob full on / off a few times. Works like a brand new stove now... And makes yummy breakfast on the weekend!

4. WrkrBee

Finally figured pictures out. I thought cut and pasting worked, but obviously not.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. WrkrBee

Photos should be fixed. Are there certain paint brands, color codes or names, paint types that Coleman gurus use to refurbish units?

J Starsky likes this.
  6. Bowman3d

Hunter green and I think banner red but I'll have to double check the red.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  7. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I bought a 413 for $5 years ago, at a yard sale. It was in good shape, only needing cleaning, oiling, and eventually a couple new parts. It was very handy when we did some group trips, since large pots fit on it better than on our 425 stoves.

8. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

The tank is starting to look a LOT better. It's kind of shocking how nasty old fuel can make a tank... I would be concerned though, I know coleman coats the insides of the tanks, with heaven only knows what, to prevent corrosion. Obviously the old fuel has eaten that protection away. The cleaning you are doing will go a long way, but I would be curious to know what you can use to recoat the inside of the tank to restore that protective layer.

Not calling myself a guru by any means, but I have refurbished a couple of CF stoves. A 424 and 425. My 424 was bought new and the factory paint was so bad I could watch it rust in my attic, the 425 I just got and touched up...

Coleman has over the years, and even within a given year, widely varied the particular tints of their paints, to the point that color matching them with anything off the shelf is going to be impossible. Coleman doesn't even know what they did when color wise.

Given that tidy little bit of information, I have settled on these colors.

For the green, I am using Rustoleum Hunter Green. I use the Rustoleum Universal Paint and Primer in one to help with adhesion.
    For the red, I am using Rustoleum Sunrise red.
    If you are repainting the tank on a dual fuel, I don't see anywhere that lists a reasonable color, I would probably go with the Rustoleum hammered silver. Might not look OEM, but it looks good.

Here is a pic showing variation in Coleman green between two different vintage stoves.

[​IMG]
    https://classiccampstoves.com/threads/coleman-424-manufactured-in-2006.30794/

The 424 shown has a factory color closer to the OEM color of my 1985 425 than of my 2005 424.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    WrkrBee likes this.
  9. WrkrBee

Krud Kutter is suppose to leave some protection from future rust. Not sure how long it last when flooded with gas.

ABOUT THE MUST FOR RUST GEL – RUST REMOVER & INHIBITOR
    The unique gel formula clings to metal surfaces for added convenience. The Must for Rust Gel quickly penetrates into every void of the surface to dissolve rust through chemical action. Then, it leaves behind rust-inhibiting crystals to resist future rusting.

FEATURES
    • Removes and prevents rust in one step
    • Unique gel formula clings to metal surfaces
    • Creates an ideal surface for painting / priming
    • Works Fast
    • Protects bare metal for up to 12 months
    • Water-based

Removes and prevents rust in one step
    • Unique gel formula clings to metal surfaces
    • Creates an ideal surface for painting / priming
    • Works Fast
    • Protects bare metal for up to 12 months
    • Water-based

10. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Awesome! Never knew that. FWIW, I am a little bit jealous as those 413s have a much more usable surface area compared to my little 424 and 425...

Honestly, had I known what I know now when I bought my 424 new, I would have cruised estate sales for 413s or a 425. They are super easy to get going even with some gunk, and at a tiny fraction of the new cost...

My latest is a 425 I got on Ebay for $19.99 + Shipping, which was less than $10.00, so $30.00. Considering I have never once used regular unleaded gas in my 424, and the generator gumming that RUG causes can be reduced massively using a tiny bit of fuel injector cleaner in your gas and you CAN run regular unleaded in a 425. New the 424 goes for about $100.00, which is about what I paid in 2005, the 425 is still available. For $135.00 from either Walmart or Amazon. Not going to pay that much! Plus I would have had to pay tax for an additional $10.00, so figure my shipping was a wash... So let's look at the numbers...

Coleman 425 stove, used. $20.00
    Rustoleum Sunrise Red $5.79 at my local Walmart. Done, sort of. Imperfect match, but it doesn't need to be perfect.
    Rustoleum Hunter Green $5.79 at my local Walmart. Not done yet. The OE paint isn't bad enough to worry...

I got lucky though. My tank had no rust, just a scrape mark where it looked like they dragged it over concrete like on a picnic table.

A fill of fresh Coleman Fuel, snug down the packing nut a hair, and run the fuel control knob in and out a few times, works good as new.

If you see in the video, the left upper corner of the tank is a different color of red. That is as close as I can get with it.

11. Bowman3d

I don't believe the stoves mafe in '67 had the coating in the tank.once clean fill it with Coleman fuel as it has a rust inhibitor in it. Also Wal-Mart brand ColorPlace Kelly Green is almost a dead ringer match for that year 413. I'll do a quick search on the Coleman forum to check for the red. I believe that yr 413g a 426d tank will fit if you need to search for a new one.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  12. Bowman3d

Ok after searching CCF I found tons of different colors but the ones that pop up most is Krylon hunter green, Krylon Kelly green and Duplicolor hunter green. For the tank too many too list but seeing it’s a tank I suggest you use a high temp paint that is fuel resistant ie; VHT safety red or paint with a red that matches and give it a high temp clear coat.