Always something... blown tire

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Balthisar, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

On the way home from Covenant Hills in Michigan, on our first trip there to join my cousin for some Halloween shenanigans for our daughter and her granddaughter, we finally blew tire.

I did everything wrong, and I knew it. I deserved the issue.

• The tires are rated at 65, and I was regularly doing 80+
    • The tires are old. I don't even know how old. They predate DOT date requirements. But they've been stored indoors, no cracks, plenty of tread. I knew they were a ticking time bomb, but, you know: short distance.
    • My current truck tracks trailer mileage: wow!, 600+ miles, even with my knowledge that my tires were about to expire!

If you were on S.B. US-23 today and you saw someone changing a tire, that was probably me at 3:45 pm or so. For those changing lanes, thank you! It was the street side tire, so damned scary with 85 mph traffic passing you while changing a tire.

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

What can we say. You knew better.

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Most times you can call the police (use a non emergency number ) and they will gladly send a car out to block traffic for you while you change a flat.. Some officers may even help or change it for you.. They all know it is safer if they block for you and most times have no issues doing it.. it's better then them having to show up to a mushy puddle that got side swiped..

4. davekro

davekro Active Member

This is a good reminder to me to put on my buy list some Safety triangle reflectors. OH, and to dig out that car safety kit now buried in the garage (somewhere) and put it in the TV...
    Anyone want to share the roadside safety devices/ kits they keep in the TV?

Sjm9911 likes this.
  5. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Yup. I own this one. I was even asking around here prior to my previous trip where I might purchase wheels and tires locally. Procrastination, and all.

I actually have one of these kits, in my other (older) Expedition. It's a Mexico mandatory safety kit from a 2004 Mondeo, and includes triangles, jumper cables, and a few other mandatory safety items for that market. My other Expedition also has my air pump. I'm really, really glad that I remembered to fill the spare before leaving home on Friday.

6. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wow. Tbh never thought of triangles or flares for the TT. Im usally the guy taking care of the accident not the other way around. Something else to go buy. Dam.

7. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

We have a floor jack, shovel, chains and a box with some tools and other doohickies that we can use for minor repairs in order to get us home or to the closest service station.

However, the best roadside safety devices that I've found are our cell phones and a roadside assistance subscription. Though both of us can change a tire without too much trouble, neither one of us wish to do so at the side of a busy road. :)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I just got the good sam roadside assistance. It was half price for a year. ( reacuring billing) but they say they will tow your TT if needed to the nearest repair place. Normal price is like 120 usd? I figure finding someone to tow a pop up or simmile would be $$$$$. Better to have and not need then to need and not have!

9. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

I actually have the RV rider on my AAA, but in my experience they take a long, long time to respond. If it had been raining and I were in a muddy spot, then maybe I'd've called them, but changing the tire in 20 minutes seemed like a better option than waiting 45 minutes for AAA, and 20 minutes for them to change the tire. If they travel with pneumatic tools, I suppose it would only be a 5 minute job. The TV's scissor jack also slowed things down a lot.

10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I carry a floor jack, a piece of plywood to use under it, a long 4 way lug wrench, and a new spare tire,I also stay within the limits stated on the tire, and use an infrared thermometer, I check the air prior to leaving (cold tires) and add if needed.