Am I being realistic?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Lenny, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

I guess my pics are too large or something, if I try to post more than one per post, it goes all goofy. Last pic, unless someone wants more..[​IMG]

2. robpedersen

robpedersen Member

Quite the list....

My 2006 4100 Palamino has the following:

- outside shower
    - inside/outside stove
    - one double/one queen bed
    - U shaped eating area
    - dinette eating table
    - 3 way fridge
    - awning with screen house (still have not used it)
    - electric vent in roof
    - furnace with thermostat
    - hot water tank

I got all this for the same $ figure you are hoping to pay - but in Canadian funds....

Good luck with your search!!

3. sk91709

sk91709 Chino Hills, CA

As others have said, finding the right PUP at that price will probably mean an older unit.

On another note, you can probably save $600 off the price of having the Honda dealer do the cooler and hitch install if you go with aftermarket components. I bought a new Odyssey in 2008 and had the dealer do the install for me, but did it mostly for peace of mind while it's under warranty.

If your 2006 is out of warranty, you will save a bunch of money by going to any reputable towing place (Uhaul, etc.) and having them set you up. Also, I've read that the Honda tranny coolers prior to the 2008 year were pretty poor in terms of capacity and function. So, you'll probably get better equipment too.

Also, the Ody has a pretty soft rear end, so a WDH is required by my manual for any trailer > 1,500 lbs.

My Sun Valley (12 ft box) has all your requirements except A/C, the storage trunk, and the toilet (we carry a porta potty). It weighs about 2,300 lbs loaded (with empty fresh water tank).

4. sk91709

sk91709 Chino Hills, CA

Another thought: I've read here the some people do overnighter trips in their PUP.

I've been out about 6 times so far - we're pretty noob to the PUP party. But I can tell you that I would not consider doing all the setup and take-down for overnight stays. It has to be two or three night minimum for me to do all the work.

So, depending on your drive/stop schedule, you just might be crazy to try it in a PUP... [;)]

5. Lenny

Lenny New Member

Good point. I may end up making less stops and driving for longer periods so as to make every stop at least two nights.

We recently purchased the van certified and under warranty (although this trip will probably bring the miles over the warranty limit)

Greywuff... I like your hardside. If I came across one I would definitely give it a close look.

Part of what we want to do with the pup is to share the experience with family members that would not typically be caught dead camping. We've gotten verbal commitments from my folks and the in-laws to come out with us. They will not be sleeping in a tent. [A] That said, the long trip next summer will just be the four of us.

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

I have done stops for just overnight. The key is only setup the bare minimum. For example, I just pop-up, throw the sleepingbags on the beds, and hit the sack. I don't set up the kitchen, awning, or table or hook up water...

7. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We do the same for overnight stops. Only set up what you need, get some rest and get back on the road. On the other hand my full blown set up from backing into the site until I am sitting by the fire enjoying a beverage is less than 30 minutes. I have never understood when people say that set up is too much work. What are they doing that I am missing? I just don't know.

8. jtuc1

jtuc1 Northeast Alabama

I bought a 2005 Fleetwood Victory in October of 2007. I gave $4000 for it. It was in good shape except the the original owner didn't winterize, and the pump leaks. I just bypassed it because we always camp where there is city water anyway. I know that the deal I got is not typical, but if you search diligently, and wait for the right deal, you can get the popup you desire for the price you are willing to pay.

9. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

agreed, it is usually 45 minutes for me but that is because I am still new to it... this last trip (our second) was a bit quicker as I know what to expect and to do now... we also just bring the bare minimum so its nit like we are setting up home away from home, just camping.

10. sk91709

sk91709 Chino Hills, CA

If we weren't setting up the dining table, water hookups, and all that, we could hit the rack in under 30 minutes too. Still seems like a lot of work at the end of a long day on the road, just to get up the next morning tear it all down and do it again. To each, his own, I guess...

I suppose if you had a few overnighter stops like this on long-haul segments of the trip interspersed with longer stays that would be more relaxing, it'd be fine.

Good luck with your search, and eventual trip!

11. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Not crazy at all. I got most of the things on that list with my pup. It was 9 years old, but I only paid $1750. Quite frankly, I think I stole it.

Of course, I've dumped a bunch more than that into it, but most of that was for fun, not necessity.

12. Csea

Csea New Member

One thing in reading the posts I dont think I saw... you have to also be concious of what you are taking with you. everything you take adds weight and takes up room.
    A little tip I have for you though which I find cuts some stress. Those rubbermaid containers are handy. Put everything you need that involves cooking in one. In another one you can put ... tarps ropes flashlights batteries... just to keep things organized and in a place easily accessable. And Do make a list. Believe me flipping a burger with a bic pen is not fun (we forgot everything needed to cook with).

13. screwballl

valid points across the board here... something else that may be worth looking into is picking up and extra spare tire+rim or 2 before leaving. Many of these tires are notorious for blowing at the most inopportune time.

May help to bring a spare set of bearings and grease in case one decides to go out. Also make sure you have plenty of extra light bulbs for the outside of the trailer. The external bulbs are usually not made for being on long term if you happen to be driving a portion of the night (unless you happen to jump for the LED bulbs).

I am sure there are a few other things worth mentioning but these were just off the top of my head for a long trip like this.

14. benfrench

benfrench Woodbridge, VA

First off I would like to say that yes, you are crazy, secondly I am jealous that you are able to make that kind of trip. That being said, why is age an issue for you. I camp in a 1990 Coleman. We have had a few issues but nothing major. PU are not like automobiles in tha age perspective. You could find a PU that is 20 years old with a lot of what you want that was used a week a year or so and garaged the rest of the time. You need to look at the PU in person and touch it and make sure that it is something you will be happy with. The year should be one of the last things you look at if you find something that you like. I have a 1990 Coleman Newport that is in very very good shape. The previous owner installed a water heater, changed the faucet over, added a 12V water pump and a cassette toleit. The PU is small but it is just 2 of us so it is not a big deal. I paid $1500 for it and that was about 4 years ago now. It's all about what you really like and not about age, if everything checks out. I have had to do only 2 minor repairs to mine. Good luck in your search and good luck with your trip, I am jealous.

15. screwballl

bah didn't let me edit my previous post... I do agree with benfrench, I was going to also say that the year is not really a factor... we have an 87 that everything works very well and with a little clean up could look new. No wood rot, no crank or cable issues, small tears less than 1/2" in the canvas, nothing that could not be fixed with a little duct tape [:D]

16. Frances

Frances New Member

At a fellow Florida camper, the longer you wait to purchase into the fall, the harder it will be. Our prime camping season here is the winter! In fact, after a less-than-optimal trip in June, we packed it in for the summer and aren't going out again until October. But I digress...

Make sure you get A/C. You will be miserable camping/sleeping in Florida (even on some "winter" nights) without it. Also, we (no kids) have managed just fine at night with our little porta-potti. I don't mind making the trek to the campground shower -- we always go to state parks and they are wonderful.

Remember -- the weight of the camper is the only weight to consider. As others have mentioned, you will quickly buy/add other things that will add weight! Kitchen gear, outdoor mats, dining tents, etc. etc. All that weight -- anything you plan to stow inside the camper -- needs to be factored into your tow weight.

But have fun. You can't start having fun until you buy the camper!

17. sd102

sd102 New Member

My pup has everything you wanted except the toilet and I paid what you are wanting to pay, $5K, BUT...it's 8 years old and has a dry weight of 2600 lbs.

And the one time we had 7 people sleeping in the pup, it was VERY crowded. We have two king size beds, dinette bed, and couch that folds down into a bed. I just don't think it would be very comfortable for that many people to squeeze in to a pup for a long trip. Especially if most of them are adults.

18. Hardee5

Hardee5 New Member

I picked up our '01 Mesa for $4600. We have an '07 Odyssey with the tow pkg and self installed brake controller, and it pulls it just fine. We have purchased a porta potty and shower tent for the outside shower.
    Check out this Craigslist search program that rrue created. It should help in catching that great deal before it gets away.

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=29734.0;topicseen/%22

19. kjmpdm

kjmpdm New Member

We feel like we are at our limit with our 12' Colemen Westlake and our 2003 Odyssey. We were very weight conscious when we were searching. One thing I noticed was the older models of the same model were sometimes heavier. Just to be aware if looking at older models. We had the coolers and brake controllers done, added a hitch. So far we have only ventured 2-3 hrs away. We will be looking at anti-sway bars before we head out next year to Disney.

Good luck!

20. Lenny

Lenny New Member

A/C is a must! As far as the shower... The DW and I would be fine with an outside shower. My experiences with state park facilities have also been great. However, I've only been to Florida State Parks so I don't know what it will be like elsewhere... although I assume they will be good as well I like the idea of being able to clean off the kids prior to entering the pup.

You guys are starting to bring me around to your way of thinking. I'm starting to consider older units... assuming I can find one in beautiful shape. When we bought the Odyssey this summer it could almost have passed for brand new and only had 25K thousand miles on it... and we bought it for a very good price. That's the kind of deal I'm looking for in a pup.