Am I being realistic?

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by Lenny, Aug 18, 2009.

1. LifesAGrill

LifesAGrill Raymond, MS

Depending on when you want to take this trip, you may be able to find a camper in your price range. The best time to buy is in the winter, when others don't want to store them. We bought our 01 Westlake in February of this year for 3800. It has all the features you want except for the furnace, which we use a ceramic heater if its that cold anyway.

2. Lenny

Lenny New Member

That sounds like good advice. Thanks!

3. Lenny

Lenny New Member

So here's the latest update:

We had the receiver and the tranny/PS coolers installed last week.

After reading a number of posts here and other material on towing elsewhere I have become more concerned with finding something lighter. I have seen several Westlakes advertised and they really fit the bill... but I'm worried about the weight (2600lb )and have passed on them. I have become less rigid about the year of the unit and have looked at an 01 Coleman and an 03 Jayco. Unfortunately, despite decent looking pics on craigslist and listings that said things like "Great shape" and "Excellent Condition" both units appeared very worn and one had a fair amount of mold.

Despite these setbacks I'm still looking and hope to get something very soon. Tomorrow I'm going to look at a 1994 Coleman Sequoia that has reportedly been garage kept and has a queen/full bed, water heater and outside shower, an awning and screen room, a functioning hydraulic power lift system, A/C, heat strips, a fridge, electric brakes, and an exterior access door to one of the storage areas. It doesn't have the king bed I originally wanted but with just the four of us I think we'll fit just fine. The best part is it's 1715 pounds and possibly half the price I originally budgeted.

Anyone have any thoughts or comments on the auto lift systems?

4. Lenny

Lenny New Member

[:D] Well, we are the proud owners of a new (2us) 1994 Coleman Sequoia. It appears to have been pretty well taken care of and the cleanliness of the tent and interior was what really did it for us. I'll be posting more about it in the new owners section. [:D]

Thank you all for your feedback and support.

It's nice to be a part of the club. [8D]

5. sk91709

sk91709 Chino Hills, CA

Awesome! Just in time for some fall camping to shake out the bugs before the big trip! Great to hear...