Am I crazy?

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Bullfrog Bheer, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

I've been drooling over the prospect of April and a little warmer weather so we could go camping again, and for Christmas, I find out we're going to Disney world in April.
    I've never been to Disney and wouldn't lose a second of sleep if I never went, but it's for the DD's. My wife went there when she was young and wants our girls to experience it.
    I know I will enjoy it for my girls and with my girls, but I can think of better ways to spend that kind of money. The thing I'm looking forward to the most is the plane ride...I've never been on one.
    So am I crazy that I'd rather go camping than go to Disney?

PS. We only have the week off so driving all the way to Florida to camp is kind of out of the question.

2. JayAmyJamy

JayAmyJamy New Member

Yes. Yes you are.

Are you seriously dreading going to the most wonderful place on earth and seeing your kids go nutso? [?:~{]

Dude!

3. Kutseena

Kutseena Running with the wolves

[:)C] I love camping but I really love Disney. We were fortunate and able to visit both parks in one year. It was awesome. You well feel like a kid again. It is exetremely family oreinted. Disney is a magical wonderful place. Go play and have some fun at Disney World.

4. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

I think you should post back here with a follow up AFTER you go and experience it then let us know if you still feel the same way. You might find the inner kid in you come out again and really have fun, or you might not like the crowded conditions and long lines.

My favorite thing there is Captain Nemo's submarine ride. I don't even know if it is still there since I have not been there since I was a kid in the 70's, but to this day I still remember it and a smile creeps up on me when I think about my trip to DisneyWorld that one time 35+ years ago. [A]

5. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

No. For most, money is in short supply. I prefer places that are fun and educational such as aquariums or zoos.

6. Dust Devil

Dust Devil Member

Let's see...the prospect of crowds of people (spring break, no doubt?), spending tons of money (Disney ain't cheap!), standing in lines all day for rides, etc., for what is basically a large amusement park with beloved characters...against the prospect of peace and quiet, relaxing at your pace, doing as much or as little as you wish once set up...afraid I'm with NJGuy on this one...have done the California parks a couple of time for the family and have enjoyed it, but I'm one of those who never really desired to go there in the first place and never would have gone otherwise...the things we do for our kids...

Go, have a great time, take lots of pictures, come back, put it in the "been there, done that" column of the bucket list and go back to camping as soon as possible!!!

7. ILUVTHEBEACH

ILUVTHEBEACH Suburbs of Philly, PA

I don't think you are crazy. We took our kids and to this day they say they weren't impressed with Disney. Like Devil Dust said, a big overpriced amusement park with signature characters, crowds and long lines. We also don't think it is the greatest place on Earth. Just make sure you plan some nice camping trips this season.

8. Bullfrog Bheer

Bullfrog Bheer Active Member

Yeah, I hate crowds too. I just hope I can put the cost in the back of my mind enough to enjoy it, or at least not put a damper on it for everyone else. I just have to keep telling myself, "It's for my kids...it's for my kids...it's for my kids..."

9. Mongo71

Mongo71 Longwood FL

Why not do both? Here is a link to one of many RV rental places here in Orlando. http://www.rvrentalsoforlando.com/
    They rent "A's" "C's" and travel trailers. Others rent pop ups and Hybrids. There are many nice campgrounds around. Actually, Fort Wilderness right on Disney property offers a nice bang for the buck. Yep, it's a lot of cash, but something you and your family will remember for a lifetime. And no, I am not affiliated with Disney in any way.

10. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

There are days you live that a week after you cannot remember one thing about the day. Those days are gone forever. However, there are days that you will remember in detail for the rest of your life. My family was very blessed to be able to do a trip to Disney while the boys were young. I hate those type places and would never go if it was just me. However, those days are now stored in my memory and I can look back on them and get more out of that then all of the money I spent on the trip. I can talk about it with my boys over and over again. Those are the type of things you just do not want to miss. And, those times do not have to be at Disney, but could be at anything special. Bottom line, if you have the opportunity to go, don't miss it. 10 years from now, you will be repaid many times over.

11. gec66

gec66 Member

I think it really depends on your kids (and DW in my case). We had been to Disney when DS was 3, but surprised him (at age 10) with a tag-a-long when I had a January business trip to Orlando on Disney property. Too good to pass up, right? DS had been wanting to go to Denver so that was on his mind when we went to the airport. Sitting at the terminal he was still trying to figure out where we were going and saw Orlando on the gate screen. He started to cry. We explained that we would be staying at Disney and he and DW would spend the days in the parks and I would join them in the evenings. That slowed the tears a little, but didn't completely stop them. Many great photos and memories from that trip. The Lego store at Downtown Disney saved the day. After we got back he said he had fun, but still wanted to go to Denver. Finally doing that this summer.

12. KJcachers

KJcachers Active Member

Do it and have fun!

We went to Florida around the 1st of November for the shuttle launch that still hasn't happened. On 1 of the "delayed launch" days we decided to spend the cash and a day at Disney. We are both in our late 40's so we chose Animal Kingdom over the other parks and loved it! Skipped the water ride and the roller coaster but took the safari tour. Loved the Tree of Life in the center of the park!