Am I Expecting Too Much Out Of My PUP Brakes ??

Ductape

Super Active Member
Jun 12, 2013
OK, trying to figure out if I have a brake problem on our N2U Rockwood PUP. I wired a 7 way plug and brake controller into my wife's Toyota Highlander (our TV for most of our camping trips). Hooked up to the Toyota to make sure everything was working and went for a spin around town. With the brakes turned all the way up I can barely feel the brakes on the PUP.

Came home, checked voltage at the TV plug and it checks out. Pulled the ground on both wheels and both sides the voltage checks out. Pulled the drums to inspect the brakes and everything looks like new.... good shoes, magnets, hardware, magnets clean, no rust on the inside of the drums, etc. I packed the bearings and put them back together and took another test ride.

I'm not exactly new to trailer brakes. I tow a 7000# dump trailer with my F350, and I can stop the truck (albeit not in a short distance) with just the trailer brakes.

Should the PUP brakes lock up when fully applied? Should applying just the PUP brakes hold the Highlander still at an idle in DRIVE ? It feels like the PUP brakes are doing very, very little. Not sure if I'm expecting too much from (7inch?) brakes ??

Hoping to figure this out before our maiden voyage in two weeks....... [?:~{] [?:~{]

sonicblaze

Feb 3, 2013
Is it possible the brakes need adjusting? The might be activating fine,but if they arnt adjusted properly its possible you wouldn't feel them.

If you jack a side off the ground,spin the tire by hand,and activate the brakes,does the tire stop?

Ductape

Super Active Member
Jun 12, 2013
I did adjust the brakes when I put the wheels back on. Spun the wheel by hand and adjusted out until there was a very slight drag, then backed off a click.

sonicblaze

Feb 3, 2013
Hmmm...that sounds right. What kind of voltage did you get at your drums when the controller was fully applied with the manual lever? I have 10" brakes on my PUP,and they can stop my jeep and hold it even aimed downhill ( my driveway is sloped =) )

efehser

Super Active Member
Sep 3, 2012
From 7" brakes you're not gonna get a lot, just enough to keep things under control in a hard stop so no jack-knife.

Ductape

Super Active Member
Jun 12, 2013
I had 11.8 volts @ the brakes. I definitely feel a little something from the brakes...... its hard to quantify in words, but its very little. Hard to imagine brakes would be so weak, even that small.

Blkvoodoo

Aug 21, 2011
efehser said:
From 7" brakes you're not gonna get a lot, just enough to keep things under control in a hard stop so no jack-knife.

^^^ What he said ^^^

Your camper isn't all that heavy ( 7" brakes indicate a 2000-2500lb axle ), locking up the wheels could cause the trailer to swing around, possibly dragging the TV around with it, what the limited braking will do is offer a controlled stop in a "panic" type situation.

It may not seem as though the brakes aren't doing much, try pulling the camper with the controller fuse pulled, and do a few quick stops, then re-install the fuse and repeat. You will see there is a great difference in the way the camper does NOT push the Highlander around.

I was quite pleased with how my 4Runner stopped with our 625D behind it ( 3500lbs loaded ) HUGE difference in the stopping VS my loaded utility trailer with no brakes or even our old Starcraft that had no brakes ( 1800lbs )