Am I getting cranky in my old age?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Pam51, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Luv2ridebikes

Luv2ridebikes New Member

I see some of those signs around the neighborhoods where I ride bicycle. I understand the intent and fully respect it. Unfortunately, the same household will pile all the kids in the car and mom will tear off down the road with cell phone firmly glued to her ear so pedestrians and cyclists beware! The message that sends to me is everyone else needs to watch out for us, but you on the other hand.....

As far as using them in a CG goes - the safety factor at a CG is more dependent upon safe rules and good enforcement. The state park closest to us has a reputation for enforcing the rules. You drive too fast inside the park (and it has several miles of roads) - you will get a ticket. You have more than 2 vehicles at your campsite - you will be told to park the extras at the overflow lot.

And that's why we enjoy camping there and feel very safe cycling there. I've been to parks that let people park as many vehicles as they can jam on their campsite. It looks like a major party zone with cars parked bumper to bumper. Now when kids start darting out from behind those cars, no sign in the world will help. Only very cautious drivers.

So if you want to put your sign out - fine, but there are other far more productive things you can do to keep your children safe.
    1. Obey the rules of the park (and encourage your friends to do the same)
    2. Teach your children how play safely in the park, including riding their bikes/scooters/etc.
    3. Don't let them dart in and out of campsites (and respect other's sites!)
    4. Keep your cell phone out of your own ear while driving and don't even think about texting.
    5. Find out what the park options are for children's activities and get your kids to participate. Those group activities are usually great fun and even educational at the state parks. It beats your bored offspring running through other campsites and darting across the road.

2. jnjsawyer

jnjsawyer New Member

I have one of those signs that I use when the kids are in the driveway. When I first read the post I thought - "YEAH, I need to bring it with me when we camp!" My children are very little and can get away from me while at play. They don't play outside alone. Any idea how fast an 18 mo can get into trouble? I know I am the one responsible for my kids. The sign is just a reminder for drivers in the area to be cautious.

Don't take it negatively. Its probably just parents who know their kids and spent another $5.00 to try to keep them safe!

3. UpandAway

UpandAway New Member

I don't think it is a bad thing, we went camping this past weekend and there are alot of kids on skates/bikes/walking and so on( just having fun) at the campgrounds as they should and there are quite a few people who go way to fast while driving even tho there are speed limit signs posted for 5 mph. you see caution signs on state roads for bicyclist and pedestrians all the time so if its our job to watch out for a full grown adult who wants to ride his bicycle or walk in the road why not have a little caution for the little ones.

just my thoughts about it but then again i have 5 children so anything that helps make them safer i'm all for it

4. James

James New Member

Boy, if a sign warning you of children gets you upset, you really must be old and cranky. I have 2 well behaved children under the age of 5. They know their boundries and will not cross them in normal situations, but chasing a ball some children may not stop in time. RELAX, slow down, your camping.

5. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

You Go James, well said. Just relax and enjoy camping.

6. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

After camping at Three Rivers over the Labor Day weekend, I learned to love CGs with dirt or bumpy roads. Forces drivers to keep a slow speed. Another reason why we plan to return to that CG.

7. The Canning Clan

The Canning Clan New Member

from our experiences I would guess the sign was more for park employees than campers. We have found without a doubt that park employees drive faster than anyone and complaints are always met with "we'll tak to him/her".
    I say if you don't like the sign ignore it, that is your right. But, take stock of things you do that others may dislike. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone likes a curmudgeon.

8. Davylee

Davylee Camping = Life is Good

Hmm..Guess I'm that old or that cranky yet.... No problems with the sign, however no tolerance for people coming thru a campsite or kids chasing things into the campsite 90% of the time or bikes etc.... An occasional accident is fine, but it stops there. I like some others do not camp at places like Knoebels or highly developed campgrounds. I prefer national forests and state parks.

9. planac

planac New Member

After spending this past year going out at least once a month with the new PUP and the three kids (or two, sometimes), I'd like to think we've seen a good slice of campground life- and love it.

That being said, there are good campgrounds for kids, and bad ones. Our best experience so far was at a CG near Mackinaw Island, MI- the place was LOADED with kids. The speed limit was 5mph- and you risked killing someone to go faster. The CG even went so far as to kick someone out who consistently sped- which I hadn't seen before (or since). But, the sense of community- all kids were welcome at everyone's site, and we got more than one walk up asking what we were eating, and could they steal a bite (discouraged, I have cousins with food allergies, but don't carry epinephrin for other people). It reminded me of much simpler times- and that there are truly good people out there, most of whom can be found camping on the weekends.

That being said, we teach our kids respect, politeness, and above all- safety. We saw a number of kids 'driving' the TV in Dad's lap, or riding on the PUP while it was being towed! They were good examples for discussions of 'why you should never do that'. We clicked fast with our neighbors, and it gave us good opportunity to teach the kids how to ask for help- a skill that seems overlooked these days- and the start of how to teach them who can be trusted, and how far. The old timers around us were great at helping show them the proper way to coil a hose, or set a fire- chances are good, I was doing the same thing, but sometimes, Dad is less 'right' than the guy next to us- and it lends a sense of wonder when they come back and say 'Gee, Dad- you WERE right all along.. maybe I should have listened to you'. Plus, it taught me a little patience- being 'first time' PUP owners, sometimes, I get caught up in trying to remember everything, and less inclined to teach- having a lot of kids around helped me remember to keep my less appropriate words in my head, and just take the time to have a little fun.

At the end of the day- I treat every site as if there was a 'caution- kids at play' sign up around it, at most CG's. I'm glad they're there. I don't mind teaching what I know to a stranger, so long as they respect my privacy and rules- and I teach my own kids the same things. Safety at a CG is everyone's responsibility- and help can be found from the least obvious corners.

10. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

OK I'm an old fart too!!!! I've done my raising of kids and I admit, I'm a gumpy old man....for good reason though. When we were growing up .......yes one of these stories again....... kids were taught to look both ways before you crossed the street....and we did. We obeyed adults....we didn't go around screaming our heads off, we respected peoples right to quiet in the neighborhhod. Parents would sit on someones LARGE porch and talk while us kids played hide and seek, rode our bikes IN THE STEET (car was coming we got off the bike, stood on the side of the road, and we made eye contact so the driver knew we knew they were there), tag, etc.... . Now there are millions of kids running around, screaming and yelling, stealing things from neighbors, etc... (we had one five year old boy in a CG trying to get into everyone's vehicles....at 05:00 A.M. and the parents were still in there fifth wheel sleeping. He was also riding his electric Big Wheel in the middle of the roadat that early time also. Park rules strickly says NO electric carts, no golf carts, no mopeds, I was concerned about the safety of this child so I turned them into the park people and they were even shocked. That little boy got chewed out in front of everyone at the campground for leaving the fifth wheel before everyone was awake and was told NOT to ride in the steet......that lasted half a day.

Its not the kids fault, its the parents fault for NOT teaching right from wrong. Kids mimic the parents, so it tells me that his parents break the rules all the time too. What was sad....not once did that little boys parents play with the kids, took them fishing (river right next to their site), play catch or even had anything to do with them...instead they sat in their lawn chairs and drank like if they were in a bar with the neighbors who lived next door to them in Dallas (we know this because when most people drink, they get loud).

If you are a parent and have little kids...take the time to teach them safety first...then respect for others, and to obey. Don't let them get out of control, loud, and inconsiderate....please set the example for them...to many parents are just that way, out of control, loud, rude, and inconsiderate of others, and their kids think it is perfectly ok to act like that.

You can post all the signs you want, call the police, or park ranger, but once those kids learn the bad way...its nearly impossible to teach them the right way.

I teach at a Nature Center here in Wichita Falls. The other day we had an unrully kid, and the teacher even called the school to pick him up. I told her to telll them not to come, that I would take care of it, she did. Are you ready for this parents with unruly kids? No I did not spank or discipline this kid....I made him line leader for our walk in the woods, I even asked him questions and he actually gave me the right answers, all of this made him feel special and important....he thanked me after class that day. I told him if you treat others nicely, they inturn will treat you nicely. It worked, no problem out of this boy all day and the teacher was surprised. I told her most of the time unrully kids just need some encouragement and show them that someone does care about them...even if the parents don't.

Enough said...sorry for rambling on.

Grumpy old man

JJ

11. srds

srds Freeport,Texas

AMEN

12. Red Rebels

Red Rebels New Member

Yep, you are getting old and cranky...
    [​IMG]
    ...you might be turning into Mrs. Gladys Kravitz

13. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

It is the sign ON the road that really gets me..... the sign at the campsite beside the road is a bit irritating, but one time someone put the sign ON the road....like 1/3 of the way in from the curb...ridiculous!

14. ohboy3!

ohboy3! New Member

I don't see a problem with a sign posted BY the road in the cg, warning motorists that a small child might dart out unexpectedly. I have 3 energetic boys under the age of 6. Of course I teach my children to look both ways, watch for cars, not play in the road ets. BUT a wee toddler just doesn't "get it" yet. Anyone who has kids knows how fast they can be. You can watch them like a hawk and they can still dart out quicker than you can catch them. Short of chaining them up to a tree that's just life with kids. That being said, I do think it's inconsiderate to post the sign in the middle of the road....it's not a place for the children to be playing anyway.

Ditto from the above poster "RELAX"!!!

15. lpm

lpm EH?

Amen to the above!

16. Mountainbikecop

Mountainbikecop Death Smiles At Everyone -- Marines Smile Back"

The name of my camper should say it all. I don't mind signs give me something to fuss about. It's the parents of the unruly rug rats that t-ees me off and I'm very vocal on the issues. Usally the camp host and rangers take care of the issues before I have to. May be there should be a grooch loop for us old farts

17. outdoorsnga

outdoorsnga Marietta, Georgia USA

Well said grumpy ol man....
    give the kid a chance and the right attention and it could change their life...
    growing up we got spankings, pushed, popped on the head and even kicked in the rear a couple of times....but when my dad got my attention is when he sat down and talked to me asking me questions as to why I did something.
    I found with my own son that a good talking to in a room by ourselves usually did more good than a spanking with a belt....
    I hated to have to spank him and when he was about 10 had done something and I had to spank him . I gave him the belt (3 licks with the belt was max I would ever do) and told him that I was going to take his licks for him....he stood there a few seconds and whoppped me one time with the belt, then he dropped the belt and we both shed a few tears and that was the last time I ever brought a belt in to a punishment. I guess we were lucky, he grew up to be a fine young man.

18. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

This whole thread is a practical demonstration of why we tend to stay away from campgrounds and camp in the woods or on private property - with the owner's permission, of course. I camp to get away from people (including the neighbor kids,) phones, televisions, radios, signs, etc...

I know I'm a grumpy old poop - I freely admit it. Rather than camping in a crowded campground and constantly finding things that twist my tail, I prefer to truly get away from it all.

Philosophically, I have no problem at all with the sign in and of itself. I may not have a problem with the sign if it's intent is to simply remind some people who need reminding that there is someone else in the campground, and that 45mph just isn't acceptable.

Practically, I do have a problem with it because it's symbolic of this general feeling that we're all absolved of any responsibility for any consequence of anyone's actions simply because we posted a sign. You're still your own person and your own keeper. If you whack your thumb with a hammer, it's not the hammer's fault - and all the warning signs and labels in the world doesn't change that fact.

No, I don't know the intent of the person who posted the sign - I don't think any of us really do, and we can "what if" that to death. I do have to wonder, however, if they put that sign up at the end of their driveway when they got home from camping that weekend. Surely people drive along the road in front of their house...

Told you I was a grumpy old poop... [:D]

19. Bearikens

Bearikens Starlight and firelight ... lighting my way

I think that the best we can do is speculate as to the intention in the use of sign...gentle reminder or a warning. When my DW and I camped at a KOA near Mt Rushmore we were next door to a family that had three children and one of them was named Matthew who appeared to be 4 or 5 years old. We knew the child's name because we could overhear the parents constantly asking where was Matthew and when Matthew was outside he was constantly on the move. The parents were using a leash to restrain the child and it was clear that he had gotten lost several times and was uncontrollable. The other children were well behaved and respectful. We suspected that the child had some type of mental medical issue. In this case I can clearly see the use of a sign meant to warn drivers.

20. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

I love kids and love to see kids enjoying themselves. I have two boys that love being outdoors and love camping. Roads are made for vehicles. I would never want to take any action that might result in a child or adult being injured. I have an obligation to drive safely regardless if a sign is out telling me kids are playing. I as a parent have an obligation to maintain some form of control over my child so that my child is safe. Sticking a sign in the road telling a driver that I am going to allow my child to do something unsafe and that I want the drive to watch out for the unsafe action of my child to me sends the incorrect message to everyone, the driver and the child. I expect folks to drive safely with or without a sign. I think that if the park post a sign to remind everyone of their responsibility is just fine, but for me to post a sign is elevating myself to the point that I am expecting others to be doing what I should be doing, keeping me kids safe. Why am I so much better than everyone else that I can allow my kids to play in the road and expect you to slow down and watch out for them? I just don’t have that right.

Now, I have played ball in the road with my kids. I have also taken my kids bicycle riding on the roads of the park. However, I am responsible to be watching for traffic and getting my kids into a safe situation as traffic passes. For the most part, people that camp are great people and very understanding. They all seem to be very kind and understanding about a little one riding a bike down the road. But in the end, I still need to watch my kids and make sure they are safe.

There are people that live on our street that put those signs out and then let their kids play in the street. I want to drive safe all the time regardless of a sign. However, each time I see that sign, I just think, “Who are these people that can change the use of the street to suit their purpose? Why are they better than the other folks that need to use the street?”

Basically, I don’t like the signs. I don’t get too worked up about it, and it does not mess up my day. But, it always makes me think these folks must really think they are special and have little regard for the rest of us.