Am I missed a part? Stabilizer jack

Discussion in 'Stabilizing Your Camper' started by BadDonkey, Aug 3, 2014.

1. BadDonkey

BadDonkey New Member

Do your stabilizer jack look like this? Am I missed parts? like more of a foot...? looks like they are on stilts when all are down.
    [​IMG][/url] [/im
    http://postimg.org/image/qfew0fj55/

2. gruss

gruss Active Member

You're missing the pad. Do both look like that? Should be something round or square @ the end for surface area on the ground.

3. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

The pads were an option.

5. BadDonkey

BadDonkey New Member

All 4 look like that.

Do I "need" the pads? Do they make it better.. more stable.. etc.. I guess what is the advantage of having them?

6. pasobuff

pasobuff Active Member

We made our own, and used 12x12 pieces of marine grade plywood under each stabilizer.

7. nfisherman

nfisherman Member

You want something on the end of those. If you set those on soft ground they'll sink in and they won't provide much support.

8. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

This

9. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

Yes, you should have something at the end of the stabilizers to spread the pressure out over a larger area. The pads others suggested would work just fine. OR, you could buy a set of Lynx blocks (ten in a set) and put one under each stabilizer (maybe more than one if the ground is uneven and you need a longer reach). The others could be used under the tongue jack or under the low-side tire for leveling.

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The "sand pads" are an option, which we did add to ours. On firm surfaces, they are great. On soft surfaces, we do still use the Lynx blocks and Lynx caps under the sand pads. We learned that on some soft surfaces, the sand pads can still sink when we had a grassy, soft site and only enough Lynx for 3 stabs. After several days, the stab without the Lynx had sunk about a 1/4''.
    we have two sets of Lynx blocks and caps, since we use them to level the pup, and under the stabs and tongue jack. On really uneven sites, such as we had last week, we can use most, if not all, of the Lynx (we had just 2 caps not in use last week).

11. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

I added the same stabilizers to my first PUP, they didn't come with sand pads so I used scraps of plywood. The sand pads are available here for a little less but scraps wood are even cheaper. I still carry the same pieces of plywood in my new PUP that has sand pads on the stabilizers in case of very uneven ground.