Am I overreacting? New JaySport 10SD problems

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by wizards8507, Apr 23, 2018.

1. wizards8507

wizards8507 New Member

Hey everyone, this is my first post. I just came home with my first PUP, a Jayco JaySport 10SD. I camped growing up in my parents' 1992 model, and now I'm diving back into camping with my wife and two daughters.

Unfortunately, once I get the unit set up in the driveway, I notice a number of problems that I hadn't spotted in the walk-through at the dealership.

Problem 1 - The string that supports one of the curtains is snapped. This one is easy to fix if I were so inclined, but it's part of a longer list that indicates sloppy construction.

Problem 2 - There are two cords on opposite corners that indicate when the roof is in its fully open position. When one of the cords is tight, the other cord still is still significantly loose.

Problem 3 - The wheel that helps the second bunk slide out isn't properly sealed, leaving a nice big hole for insects to get in.

Problem 4 - There are two small holes in the canvas above the main bunk.

Problem 5 - The screen on the door is torn along one of the corners.

Album: https://imgur.com/a/kgXU8uK

How big of a deal is all this? I imagine my options are to either get over it, tell the dealer I want it all fixed, demand a brand new unit (which they don't stock so I'd need to wait for an order to come to Connecticut from Indiana) or ask for my money back. These things aren't the most solid construction anyways so I'm very nervous about having them uninstall and reinstall various components.

2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

It's a brand new camper. I would want as close to perfection as possible. Holes in the screen and canvas would be 100% unacceptable.

3. Wecamp04

Wecamp04 Member

I agree it' new, every camper I have bought over the years my dealer always tells me to wright down anything I see not right bring it back they will take care of it, I would make out a list so as you don' forget anything and take it back have it fixed the small holes in the canvas and screen are only going to get bigger over time.

Tracy D. likes this.
  4. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Not expecting too much at all! Keep a list.

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I agree with everyone else, make a list and make the Dealer do the repairs no matter how small the item is. A new unit should be 100% flawless and it is up to the dealer to make it so. If not then call the factory and raise cane. Good Luck and Happy Camping

jnc, Tracy D. and theseus like this.
  6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

The dealer should be able to fix all of these problems. If you bought it new this is what the warranty is for.

Jorja and neighbormike like this.
  7. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome from Minnesota.

I'm sorry to hear you had to start out with the problems on a brand new pup. I agree with the others, you should demand perfection from a brand new pup. The true test of the dealership will come with how the treat you AFTER you game them your money.

Good luck.

8. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I encountered numerous issues with mine and chose to deal with them myself (mainly because it was camping season!) however I did not have holes or tears in the canvas or screens....

9. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

Not too big of a deal....other than the holes in canvas. Try buying a new hybrid for @ 20K and have it delivered from factory to dealer with $5K worth of manufacturing defects, that the manufacturer openly admits and agrees to fix before the unit is even sold. RVs are junk, especially the new ones since 2014 or so.

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

... Granted the factory didn't do the best job. But I would like to think that the dealership would have caught and corrected these items before the unit was released for sale.
    Says a lot about the dealership also. Good luck with getting the issues corrected.