Am I the only one coming home with something broken on every trip so far?

Storm

Jul 5, 2020
Warwick,RI
Every camping trip i have taken this year with my flagstaff , something little has broken or I accidently broke it.

1st trip 1 awning eyelet while folding out

2nd trip 2nd (other side) awning eyelet in the rain while sleeping

3rd trip I decided to put grilling forks in back of the hinge on burners. took about 4 second to Fiqure out why lid woundnt go up all the way( after I kept pushing on it. ) needless to say it closes sideways now.

4th trip. Trying to redirect the drain hose from ice box while frozen. ( now it needs a new drain hose and hardware and some plastic epoxy for the tray it connected too.

Reactions: AMC

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Sadly there is always something. Sometimes simple, sometimes far more complicated. Heck even just sitting over winter break leads to something that needs to be fixed. You look at it funny and I swear something will break. Welcome to the club. :)

davido

Super Active Member
Jul 17, 2014
Before getting into popup camping I sailed a lot (still sail some). Almost every time I go out I discover something that I've broken, that doesn't work quite right, or that is going to need attention soon. And sailboats do tend to be built a lot better than popups. So I expect no better from my popup.

I've replaced bulbs, replaced the flexible drain hose under the swing galley, replaced undersized wood screws all over the place as the originals loosen or pull out, replaced the sail switch in the furnace, replaced plastic fittings at the ends of the awning, replaced the dual propane cutover switch / regulator that failed after just one year, replaced a shower head, should replace the outdoor shower head too, replaced curtain hooks, and many things I have already forgotten about. And I've had the trailer five or six years now, purchased new. Half the repairs were in the first eighteen months. A quarter of them were probably in the first three months.

Tonya Harding

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 15, 2018
Virginia
Pint of gas & a Zippo have solved many a problem over the years if you happen to reach the point of no return [8D]...been fortunate, no major repairs etc, but did have an old '87 Suburban that liked to take up vacation time once in awhile...

tzmartin

Not here for a long time but here for a good time!
Sep 9, 2015
Clayton, Georgia
Well...i just call it a hobby. I don't have repairs everytime but usually have a couple of items that need attention.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Pretty common with just about any RV. The cheaper stuff is worse - lightweight trailers, hybrids and pups. The industry transitioned a while ago to making things cheap and quick. Stuff breaks all the time, or is loose/poorly put together and doesn't become apparent until a couple trips. With so many moving parts I think pups may have a higher chance, but really it is just part of owning an RV. All part of the hobby.

kitphantom

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Dec 26, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Yes, we often end up with something to repair after a trip, sometimes self-inflicted, sometimes not. The first, old, popup needed maintenance often, the second one did well and we didn't do anything major to that. The TT has had its share of stuff - I tapped a huge cottonwood tree with the awning early in the first full season, wrecking the awning and leaving a wrinkle near the door that is still there. Last year, pulling into one of our favorite campsites, we encountered a hidden rock, which wrecked the almost new steps and broke the rear awning support, which swung in an arc and punched a hole in the siding - good thing is the way the Retro is constructed, they could replace just one section of siding. We noticed the tree hiding that rock is no longer there this year.

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
Its just like a house, as soon as you fix something, you move onto the next thing. Yes, maintince and stuff breaking os normal. It will occur less as you fix stuff but will still happen.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
On our way home from our last camping trip of this season I told my wife, "hey, this is the first trip home where I don't have to repair anything." Parked the camper in the driveway, unhitched, and the jack wheel collapsed when I cranked it down.

You know your mistake there, right?

No matter how long ago that eventless trip was, don't brag about it. The Fates will get you.