Am I the only one coming home with something broken on every trip so far?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Storm, Sep 21, 2020.

1. shuang2

shuang2 Well-Known Member

We are lucky not fall in to this scenario. Our little Boston Whaler seldom let us down since we bought it in 2012. Our old Aframe Chalet camper maybe once a while something broken, but is always enjoyable.

Bradley E Dixon likes this.
  2. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

You do realize what you have just done, don't you?

You have drawn the attention of The Fates to your popup... They won't be able to let this slip go uncorrected now. ;)

campfire Joe, AMC, Sjm9911 and 2 others like this.
  3. PathfinderESP

PathfinderESP Member

They are made of cheese...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I will say that even with all the repairs and such, it has never been enough to ruin the enjoyment of using my campers.

On my very first trip in the clipper, the fridge suddenly stopped working. I just called a friend and asked her to bring some ice and I pulled out a soft sided cooler. Finished the trip.

I think that's where a boat and an RV differ. With an RV, most any failure will still allow you to finish your camping trip. If a boat stops running, it's of no use. If an RV stops running, you can still sleep, cook, eat, use the toilet, and/or relax in it. So you finish out your trip and then figure how to get it home. If any of the aplliances break, you work around them and use the rest.

jpCamper and shuang2 like this.
  5. Bradley E Dixon

Bradley E Dixon Member Gold Supporting Member

Doh! [email protected]#!!! Lol

HappyTraveler, Sjm9911 and Toedtoes like this.
  6. PUP Divided

PUP Divided New Member

We haven’t got ours out of the driveway (just bought it) yet and already have to do a minor repair.[LOL] We somehow managed to break one of the window shade cords and now we can’t retract it up. We have also accepted the fact that there will be constant upkeep, which will include repairs.

7. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

The mysterious part is why the list never shrinks.
    Well, maybe it’s not that mysterious.

TheBlurb and neighbormike like this.
  8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Does it count that nothing broke on the TT last trip, but I broke my ankle?
    We don't abuse, but don't baby our campers either, so yes, things happen. I prefer the things that are fixable at home, after the trip, though.
    Our travel tool set has grown as we needed specific tools and supplies for the campers.

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  9. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

This sounds like my experience (or lack thereof) with my boat. I bought an older ski boat three or four years ago to take my grandkids tubing. To call it a PIA would be a vast understatement.

I think it's getting donated this fall.

10. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

I don't seem to break stuff while out camping, but I do constant upgrades to the toys that I own (including 2 boats) so that its in good condition when needed. I'm pretty thorough when looking over used stuff prior to purchase, so I have a decent idea of what needs attention BEFORE its put into use. Case in point: I knew that the tub/shower faucet was defective when I bought my used toyhauler a few months ago, so we didn't use it until it was repaired just yesterday. In making those repairs and testing the whole plumbing system out, I also discovered a cracked shower head and a cracked p-trap in the drain.

11. StormFuel

StormFuel Member

Indeed. For what Amazon doesn’t carry, I’ve found that http://colemanpopupparts.com/ and https://www.hannarv.com/ are lifesavers.

Arlyn Aronson and neighbormike like this.
  12. JMars

JMars New Member

Borrowed my brother in law's 96 Starcraft last week. Heat blew cold and sink leaked worse than a House committee. Fixed both and now other things are catching my eye.

13. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Active Member

Ha! So true.

14. xgromx

xgromx 1984 Sun Valley

I'f I don't come home with something to fix I feel like I am neglecting her. 84 Coleman, Original

15. AMC

AMC Member

Soooo funny....and yet not funny at the same time. LOL Sometimes I miss my tent.

16. 60man

60man Member

@CampingFamily1 said it best, Never force anything.

However, part of camping is channeling your inner MacGyver to rise to the challenge of things going wrong. I know my wife hates things going wrong, but secretly loves it when we figure out a solution together.
    She has the original MacGyver theme song on her phone and it gets used frequently.

neighbormike and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  17. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Even if you are trying to beat the approaching rain packing up or trying to beat the dark setting up.

18. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Never had much trouble with my boat either. People were the problem. If something got broke it was some idiot that didn't listen. Also found that for some reason your circle of friends grows during the summer when you own a boat, unless you happen to be next to a gas pump then you are all alone.

neighbormike likes this.
  19. 60man

60man Member

I have worked at night in the rain, and man will your camp look bad in the early morning sun. You will need to rest much of the work that you spend time on before. But if you can keep from forcing things, that is still my path. Better to change your wet cloths than repair a ripped awning or broken door.