AM I THE ONLY ONE

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by RACERX, Apr 3, 2010.

1. RACERX

RACERX just wanted

am i the only one who gets upset when i see a pop up rotting into the ground. and when i ask if they will sell they say no. or even worse see a newer pup sitting in the drive with low tires knowing that it has not been moved for several years? heres my take stuff happens i understand that but if you know your not going to use your pup sell it. thousands of wide eyed puppers are looking for a new baby. you will have no problem finding a new one if you decide to join the living again. sorry had to vent that i just dont like to see a good pup going to waste.

2. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

No, you're not the only one. I eyeball every pup I see sitting around, and feel pity for the people who purchased them only to have them sit and rot. OTOH, I also feel good for the people who are active with their pup, and ALWAYS envious when I see one getting being prepped for a trip.
    MR

3. Orion

Orion Member

Let me tell you about my NTU pup I'm rebuilding. Last year at this time my bro in law called saying that he opened the pup only to find that it was leaking. I told him bring up here and I would stick it in the garage until he can fix it. He said no I'll get it done. Fast forward a year. He is getting a divorce and didn't fix the camper and let it sit outside leaking for a year. I purchased it from them for 250 bucks. While I work on it all I can think about is how sad the whole situation is. I just got the roof back on it tonight. What a shame....

Orion

4. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

I feel the same way. I'm amazed at the number of times I have seen some really nice PUPs just sitting, and they look awful. There are two that I know of that are 3-4 years old and look far worse than our 98.

I can understand not being able to get out and camp but I cannot understand why someone would fail to keep their investment clean.

My wife and I were only able to get out a few times last year but that didn't stop prevent us from keeping it clean.

5. jenoble99

jenoble99 New Member

I know of three that are in the situation of never being used. A couple are considerably older and on my way to/from work. I have never seen them moved. The third is on a side street close to where I work. It's a relatively new HW Jayco. It sits in it's carport looking all sad and lonely. I think I remember it being gone one time. Although it is kept clean at least. When we were shopping for ours a couple of years ago I started to knock on the door and ask if they would want to sell it, but never did see anyone home.

6. Vernon

Vernon New Member

You are never the only one racerx!!!! Especially on this forum!!

7. ace42

ace42 New Member

That's how we got our pup! I was helping a lady on getting her lawn mower going and she had it on the property. They all went camping many times in the past and the camper that she had was a 2002 Viking. It was a little bigger in the pop-up size that I want (since it will sleep 8) however beggars can't be chooser bigger sometimes is better. There were not leaks after opening it up after it sitting with the first set of plates she got on it when they bought it. It was used once, maybe twice and even had a Coleman propane grill with it as well. The top was just showing signs that the caulking needed to be redone if it sat another year most likely it would have started leaking. Everything needed to be lubricated most of the jacks were froze up. Since it looked like it sat outside most of the time.
    Sometimes you run into people that just want to get rid of them at the right time. Granted that had intentions of going out camping however for whatever reason you have to make time. It's a shame for those that just let them rot away and not sell them to someone who might get alto of use of them.

However there is always Craigslist.org which you can find some sweet deals sometimes on a fix-er-upper.

8. TwoHappyCampers

TwoHappyCampers New Member

There is a Rockwood about 3 houses down from us. I don't think it has been out in the almost 6 years we have lived here. It sits uncovered all year around next to the house. Poor little pup! [:(]

We sold our first pup when ours kids were young teens and DH had to travel frequently for work. It just wasn't working for us to camp. When we could get out it was a hassle to get the kids to go with us and there was no way they were staying home alone. It took 14 years, but we are back camping. [:D]

9. mspontiac

mspontiac Member

I really don't understand it. I can see not having time to use something, or even having the garage space to store it indoors or time to maintain it if it's kept outdoors. But why let it sit and rot? Why not just sell it and get some of your money back out of it if it's not going to be used? [:!] Eventually no one will want it and it just turns into an ugly eyesore.

I'm actually really surprised at how many pups and TT's sit neglected in people's backyards, unused.

10. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

I hear ya on the campers just sitting around.

A guy on the other end of town had an older but still pretty decent looking 5th wheel. 3 years ago he sold his truck and bought a car. The camper just sat there. Last year when I was looking for a TT I went and talked to him about it but he didn't want to sell it. Late this last fall a tree branch fell on it and he sold it for $200 for scrap.

11. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

You guys should come up and beat my dad senseless... His Pup has been sitting on the side of the house for 17 years now! He wants to sell it, but has absolutely no motivation to do anything about it.

12. jwolfe01

jwolfe01 Honeoye, NY

My neighbor across the street has a Coleman sitting next to the house that they apparently used to use, but it hasnt moved or been opened in the last 3 years at least. I may stop over there and talk to her about it, see if maybe she would part with it. Then I could at least get it cleaned up and resell it to someone that would use it.

13. RACERX

RACERX just wanted

HEY WARWGN3,
    I DONT THINK WE WILL HAVE TO BEAT YOUR DAD UP BUT MAYBE JUST A FEW LITE TAPS TO THE BEAN MIGHT WORK. TALK HIM INTO SELLING IT WHAT KIND IS IT?

14. warwgn3

warwgn3 Car Shows are 2nd only to Camping!

It's a 1979 Lionel M-500 that he bought new in 1980, so it's been in the family for 30 years. We still have the original sales recipt, and dealership broshure/

[​IMG][​IMG]

One thing I'm gathering about the size of my Dad's Pup, is that if it was built today, it would probably have tandem axles. It's over all length (coupler to bumper) is 16' 5", Box is 13' 2", popped up, is 20' 3", and dry weight is 1,650 lbs.

The lift cables have broken, which makes it difficult to pop up without the help of 4 people, which is partly why it hasn't been touched in 17 years. Also, My parents have given up camping, and prefer hotels now., and because the trailer hasn't moved in so long, it probably isn't road worthy anymore.

He wants to sell it, but for the condition it's in... aside from it's age... his $2,000 asking price is too steep. If he does sell it, he will probably not get more than $1,000 fixed up, or maybe $500 as is.

15. micbur

micbur Working on "Camp Burton"...Opening Soon!

I work in Carrollton, GA and a few months back I started driving a different way to go to my favorite place for lunch. I read this topic and made me think about the PUP I pass each day. In really bad shape on the outside...not sure about the inside...but did notice today that there is a sign on it. FOR SALE - MAKE AN OFFER

Maybe it will find a home...it is a Starcraft but not sure of the year or model.

[​IMG]

[:!]

16. Hollyhoff

Hollyhoff New Member

I see one in the field across from my house that is a 70's coleman.. my uncle owns it... he would probably sell it if someone wanted to buy it!!

17. joev1555

joev1555 New Member

yea when i was looking for my pop_UP i went to all the places that I've seen them sitting and no one would sell the first two the people didn't want to sell even tho it hasn't moved in about ten years the third place had the best one but still haven't moved in years eather, it was a rockwood but it was old and needed alot of work he wanted 5000 so i laugh and left. so i guess what I'm getting at is that its hard to get rid of something that you have so many good memory's in and when its time to sell you cant sell the memory's

18. stenke1

stenke1 New Member

I feel that way about everything! car, pups, animals, u name it!

19. hanson1522

hanson1522 Belleville, IL

I feel this way too! It seems like such a shame to have something and not use it! Especially something like a pup! My parents have an old '76 Beaver RV that hasn't moved an inch since we borrowed it (pre-pup) in 2006. They pay rent on a space to store it and everything. It could use new tires, and it has a small leak in the gas tank. Other than that...it's in perfect shape! I have to pass right by it on my way out to their house....I sigh every time I pass it. [:!]

There are people up the road from us (also on my way to my parents' house, ironically) who have a late 90's model Coleman that NEVER moves. It just sits there. I think we've seen it gone twice in the five years we've lived here.

Poor little pups!

20. chiefbowes

chiefbowes Member

I have stopped and asked about many when we were looking for our pup. Most are still where they were rotting in the ground. Either they we not for sale or a crazy price. i have never understood that mentality about cars or campers. We all have great intentions but only a few ever follow up.