Amateur Radio Operators?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by rangerover, Jul 28, 2013.

1. rangerover

rangerover Member

Any Ham's out here? Ever use radios in your pup? 73-KD5TSM

2. jeeper88

jeeper88 Let's go Camping and Jeepin

Im working on my ticket and do plan on putting on in my pup. I do search and rescue for the sheriffs dept. The pup has see a couple outings for that reason...

3. CREEPPINGCHARLIE

CREEPPINGCHARLIE CAMPING RECHARGES THE HUMAN MIND

We are out here, KC0HKH VHF/UHF, 2 METER [8D] [PU] [PUT]

4. va3rbz

va3rbz New Member

VA3RBZ, usually have my 70cm HT with me. Did some HF last year before the pup, looking to get back into it next year.

5. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

Hello! D6DDY VHF/UHF 2M/70cm. I am part of the Maricopa County Emergency Communications Group. We do comms for bike races, foot races, and other public events as practice for real disasters that we deploy to upon request from state or local authorities. Nothing is permanently mounted but I always have my 50w dual band portable and my two HT's. My TV has a permanently mounted 50w dual band.

6. stef234237

stef234237 Member

I was working on my ticket until I bought my camper. I will resume after my vaction. 73 yall.

7. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

Had a novice license when I was a kid, but I let it expire.

Could just barely pass the 5wpm requirement.

Now that code isn't required, I should get back in.

Steve

8. candleems

candleems Member

DH is KA3RNU.

9. rangerover

rangerover Member

Howday FJguy, Maricopa! I am sure you have you have your hands full out there!

10. N1BRU

N1BRU New Member

Yup, us Hams are all over....N1BRU (Pop Pop K) I have VHF/UHF/HF in my TV and have capabilities to set up portable with 25 foot mast. My DW doesn't allow me to set up in Pup so I go to my mini shack...the truck. [SNZ]

11. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

N3MQM

My set up in the HTT
    [​IMG]

12. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

This is something I plan on working towards over the winter months. I was interested as a kid, but never had the time to pursue it. It's such an uphill battle to make ends meet nowadays. Just getting back to camping has been an achievement-
    Any advise/resources to get started would be appreciated-

13. Hanvee3

Hanvee3 New Member

VE3OR here.

I have had my license before most portal members were born [LOL]I have a built in 2 meter in the Trail Manor with a permanent mounted antena. I usually take along a VHF/UHF hand held. I plan to get one of those new small HF units but for now I am OK with what I have.

73 -- VE3OR

14. colo-pr

colo-pr New Member

KP4MLF

Have a FT-857 with a Little Tarheel in my TV, a Yaesu VX7 for any emergency operation in the field and recently bought a Elecraft KX3 with a AlexLoop and Buddypole for QRP operations, don't made too much radio yet because in the last times the 10m are death, expect to jump to General the next month and can talk in many bands.

PD: KP4 because obtain my license more than 15 years ago in PR and never change it.

73' and I hope to make some radio when camp but in the last 2 campings with a 11 months baby was impossible have free time without distractions.

15. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

KD0WDL

Technician.

16. CDawg

CDawg Southeastern PA

I operate QRP on HF from the pop-up all the time. Setting up the antenna has become a standard part of our camp set-up routine:

<http://www.qsl.net/wb3gck/puv2.htm>

Actually, this version of my antenna has been recently replaced with a single 31-ft telescopic fiberglass pole from Jackite:

<http://www.jackite.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_44&products_id=132&osCsid=8a0ab76b79c3d3e03edd0dd34de079c5>

Set up now only takes a couple of minutes. I use a couple of velcro straps to secure it to the side of the camper.

I'm usually on the air early in the morning. My mode of choice is CW, since the DW likes to sleep in when we're camping. :)

73, Craig WB3GCK

17. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Just upgraded my license to Extra on 12/14/13! Passed Extra at 96%!

Woo Hoo!

18. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Back in the day, I use to play with radios. I thought about getting the HAM advance licence back in the mid 70's, but I did not want to learn Morse Code to pass the first exam. Does the HAM licence still require Morse Code?

I did get various FCC commercial licences, including a FCC 1st class licence. In the 80's Reagan decided that the government it did not need; well tested professional to operate or manage engineering of large broadcast stations or equipment engineering and manufacturing. He decided to end the very technical 4 hour testing, and go for a non-testing licence that you sent the FCC you application and $13.

I spent 200+ hours studying for the 1st class licence after getting the 3 licences need before testing for the 1st class. The different tests included just about every technical and legal aspect of RF transmission, including designing an antenna farm for a cretin antenna pattern.

I wonder how HAM operators today respond to a Morse S-O-S, if they no longer need to know Morse? Or is Morse considered so obsolete and no one would use Morse to push weak singnal through a noise frequency?

19. rexlxg

rexlxg Member

yes, we are out here. I'm N4LXG I got my first ham ticket just over 40 years ago.
    DW is KI4WIE and DS KI4MOX. Haven't done any operating from the pup, but
    we always have 2 or 3 HT's with us while camping and the dual bander in the TV

Rex

20. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

AK4BM and I operate portable HF often in the camper.