Amateur Radio Operators?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by rangerover, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

w8zip here. North Ridgeville, OH ....73

2. Kim Ciara

Kim Ciara Trout Tickler

Call sign change: NOW: K2CPO

Good to go on QRZ!

FT-847, FT-8800, FT-7900, FT-60 HT, Radio Shack HTX-10, AT-100 Pro II, SEC 1223.

Home-brew 135-foot dipole: good from 10-meters to 80-meters. You'll find me most often on 20-meters and on 2-meters for ARES.

Good with acoustic-coupling for MT-63 2KL on all mobiles.

Arrow OSJ-pole for VHF/UHF, as well as for ECOMM use. Roll-up slim-jim antennas for emergency use.

Learning CW!

Truck/camper is now a virtual mobile radio shack, mostly for ARES use.

Just having too much fun, lately. Great way to pass the winter weather in Colorado. *smile*

3. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

I've done several PA QSO Party contests from rare PA counties in the PU.

4. martykowalski

martykowalski Member

I don't have a HAM license yet, but I did invest in some VHF Motorola Radius commercial grade radios that I run on MURS frequencies for 2 way communication. I have a mobile mounted in my TV and a pair of handhelds that I always bring along on camping trips. Last time I was at Devils Lake on a busy weekend, I set one of my Motorolas alongside one of those little FRS/GMRS talkies and just laughed at the cacophony of jabber and cross-talk clogging up every channel on the little radio but we had the airwaves all to ourselves on my Motorolas. [:D]

5. TwistedElvis

TwistedElvis New Member

KK6BKB
    Dont get on as much as I would like

6. dvendt

dvendt New Member

I used to hold a tech class but let it lapse back in '11. do want to get my general class @ some point in the near future. Yes I would use my rig in my rig. [PU] [TV]

7. Mudfoot

Mudfoot New Member

W9YNE checking in...

Always take my VX-6R to monkey around with in the PUP and have a D700 in the truck.

8. craigbaker

craigbaker Member

KF7LLA up here in the PNW!

Depending on where we head for camp determines how well any radio works and I generally prefer to get away from the noise of cell phones and tech (I am an IT Professional). I have been known to carry a handheld but don't usually get much traffic due to trees and terrain.

9. stef234237

stef234237 Member

Taking the class in June . I have Gordos book . I just read it through . I took the practice test five times last night . I'm passing 32 to33 out of the 35 question pool

10. Twitch22

Twitch22 73 N6DDY

If you are passing that well then don't wait, go get tested now and get it done. :)

11. crockett

crockett New Member

KF7YPJ here.

I know this is an old-ish thread, but had a quick question as I'm a pretty new ham operator, and a brand new PUP owner.

I'll primarily be using an HT in the trailer, and would like to hook up an external antenna. Wondering if I can run the signal right through the existing cable jack for setting up a j-pole outside.

Any thoughts?

12. ka9nyn

ka9nyn Member

If no TV preamp in the line, it'll just give you a SWR bump, due to it being RG-59 or RG-6 coax (75 ohm impedance).
    HTs can handle significant mismatches (look at the rubber coated dummy load...ummm, rubber duck antenna) from the supplied antennas.

I use a Kenwood TM-700A in truck and work vehicle. HT or Icom 706 MkIIG at campsite.

BTW, KA9NYN here.

13. dion

dion Member

It'll probably work, though TV cable is 75 ohm, and amateur radios want 50 ohm coax, so it's less than ideal. You'll get reflections every place that you transition between 50 ohm and 75 ohm -- at least once between the HT and the cable that's built into the PUP, and probably another time or two, depending on what cables and adapters you use between the outside of your PUP and the antenna. (I'm guessing your J-pole is built with a 50 ohm impedance at the feed point).

At VHF and UHF frequencies, cable losses can get bad fairly quickly even with somewhat reasonable cable. If you want top performance and maximum range, use a good cable with low loss at your working frequencies. For example, something like LMR-400 would be nice. If you don't want to drill into your PUP, then feed it out through the bunk ends or something. That's fairly big and stiff, though, so you might want to use a short length of something much more flexible at the HT end, to avoid putting stress on your radio's antenna connector.

Having said that, if you're working FM repeaters, once you get a good signal with full quieting, making the signal better doesn't help much. So using the TV cable may work completely adequately for you, and it will almost certainly work much better than the antenna that came with your HT.

73 de AG6QR

14. TJ80

TJ80 New Member

Just got my Starcraft PUP and would love to do some while camping. Have a dual band and HF in the TV.

15. guidosarduchi

guidosarduchi New Member

KC9ZRP here - just upgraded to general. We use 2 meter HTs in the PUP now and they work well through the canvas [:D]

Have a 2 meter mobile in the truck. The wife has her tech license which is really handy when camping.

73s

Scott

16. R00

R00 Active Member

Im so amateur I only run citizen's band. Mostly for off-road clubs but I do love bs'ing when the skip is rolling, especially when I'm camping in the high Sierras. I run a 4' Firestik on trail rides and switch over to a 102" whip in the mountains.

17. ccarley

ccarley Member

I'm Clay, KJ6KPS, upgraded to General shortly after I got my tech 5 years ago. I usually have my dual-band HT with me while out & about, and have a dual-band Kenwood yet to install in my new to us truck. My wife also has her tech license, KK6PRC. Our repeaters here in Sonoma County are pretty quiet, so it's real easy to have conversations with your buddies. I also carry a repeater book with me, so wherever we go, we should be able to find a repeater (if I didn't research enough ahead of time).

I haven't gotten into HF yet... that's pretty expensive. For anyone who is interested though, those Baofeng radios work well for an HT, and there are classes nearby in Petaluma that are basically study sessions. I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone; it's not hard to get your license anymore! FM quality is way better than AM, comparing to a CB. And if using a repeater, the range is quite excellent for mobile use.

Clay

18. PoppedPaul

PoppedPaul What's this button do?

[ALPU] [TV]

KG6OAZ (extra)

I always have a couple of 440/2M HT's in the popup and have a matching radio in the tow vehicle for point-to-point communications and calling out in an emergency. There's not much cell phone service in the Mojave Desert (and I like it that way) so I want the ability to hit the repeaters if I need in an emergency.

19. stef234237

stef234237 Member

I forgot to add my Call KM4CNY. I've had it a while through moving and all kinds of stuff. Also a less than stellar field day group I haven't even been on the air yet. I am really interested in packet. I have the items to make them work but no luck so far. Now the camper needs a roof redo etc it never ends.

20. dion

dion Member

Attached is a picture of my antenna, which is secured to the trailer for stability, using a bungee cord on the bed's support pole. The antenna is a Buddipole tuned for 40 meters. It's about 19 feet high, and 29 feet end-to-end, with loading coils to make up for the "short" length on 40m. Lately I've been trying to make at least one CW contact a night while camping. Usually it will be someone 500-1000 miles away, but sometimes longer. On our most recent two-night outing I talked to Surrey, British Columbia, and Twin Falls, Idaho, from our campsite in Olema, California (near San Francisco). I run about 35 watts on battery power.

73 de AG6QR

Attached Files: