Amateur Radio Operators?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by rangerover, Jul 28, 2013.

1. cuisinartoh

cuisinartoh Member

KE8CYY here. I just got my license (general) in January and haven't yet set anything up for field use. I don't even have HF at home but that changes soon. My first rig will be the ICOM IC-7300, and I plan to take it with me in the camper. Pretty sure I'll be using an end-fed Zepp (Chameleon EMCOMM II) for a portable antenna.

2. ricko

ricko Member

KM4SNW here - got my technician license a few weeks ago, along with an HT... still trying to figure this thing out but will be bringing it with me in the PUP.

Ricko

3. rustybronco

rustybronco Member

KB8HSD here. Three generations of hams in out family. My father, myself and my second oldest.

I don't know if I'll be taking any equipment along with me when we camp or not as the pup is used for a place to sleep after the craft shows my wife exhibits at.

73 Dale

4. BigRedTruck

BigRedTruck Member

K9CPO. Been a ham for over 35 years. My father in law N4DIT, would not let me marry his daughter until I got my ticket. I love the hobby and have had fun working all states and just under 100 different countries with a wire dipole and 100 watts. I worked some satelites while camping a few years ago but lost interest as the frequencies got jammed up. Anyway, a nice hobby to have. You can put it aside for a few months, or even a few years, and pick it back up without skipping a beat. 73

5. cllowe

cllowe New Member

Hey there, kj4aud here in mid Tennessee .

6. ny_rocking_chairs

ny_rocking_chairs Active Member

KD2DTN here, got mine when I started working for an RF communications company, only have a small HH for now but like listening to the local repeaters and pick up a lot of different states.

7. wray77

wray77 New Member

KG5IIS

William
    2007 Jayco 1006
    Madison,Ms

I haven't setup the pup for ham radio, but thinking about it! [:D]

One question, is a WFCO 30 AMP power supply clean enough to run a dual band radio??

8. Spawndn72

Spawndn72 Member

K2DN

Just got the pup. Have not even thought about ham radio combined with the pup. But know that I have seen this thread...

9. cham5

cham5 Member

KJ4MJW, although I have never been very active. I just carry a HT but mainly for emergencies.

10. idler

idler Member

W9AKA
    I've worked a few local ARES events such as bike rides and marathons, but haven't lately since I bought a house last year. I do have a HT and it's been just long enough for me to forget how to use the complicated Yaesu VX-6 thing.

I got the license (General) and bought the camper before buying a portable rig. :) That's on the list.

Now that I see so many on the forum, I should bring my HT camping and fiddle with it. And then investigate a car/camper setup. Thanks for the inspiration.

11. Photodonn

Photodonn Newbie Popup Owners

W4RAZ
    Extra Class. Operating since 1965

Working QRP. CW & looking for small 12v rig.

12. Kb2yht

Kb2yht New Member

Kb2yht...
    Though I tended to be on air for VHF/UHF contests with the station calls N3EMF or N2SF

Russ had his truck kitted out with a crank up tower for that fun, but we always tented it, never thought about the PUP.

Now i have to

13. paddykern

paddykern Member

Took all three exams the same day a few years ago.
    Got interested because of radios used in auto racing.
    Still concentrate on 2m/70cm and not much HF.

On APRS every day.
    D-Star several times a week.
    D-Star is a blast. Can talk to people all over the world with an HT.

Provide communications for marathons.

AC8ND

14. vbehan

vbehan New Member

Former Navy Radioman, ex commercial op at NBA and WKM in CT.
    I operate mostly CW these days and only HF. I have not yet operated when camping or RVing. New to popups, but I don't foresee any ham ops there either.
    Vic, W4NB extra class. (got it when there was a 25 wpm CW qualification) [:D]

15. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

K9PHT from Bonnie, ILLINOIS here... I got my license back in Mount Vernon Ill High School in the mid 50's. Joined the AIR FORCE in 58 and always kept my original Amateur Radio call sign.

We didn't stop moving around until I got out of the Air Force in the mid 60s but still moved around to several places in Texas, AZ, Calif, and finally took up long term residence here in Virginia in the early 70s... My job continued to keep me on the road alot so Ham Radio was great thing to have...

My love with Ham Radio is setting up back off trail somewhere in the high country so this fits right in with Tent Camping and POPUP Trailer Camping. In recent times here in Virginia you will find me up on the high country on the VA and WVA wooded state border line - love a place up there called FLAGPOLE RIDGE in the George Washington Natl Forest area...

This is my floor plan for my OFF-ROAD Camper...[​IMG]
    Google Image

You can see my Radio OPS layout in the this floor plan version.
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

I also have about the same Ham radio functions in my Ford F150 Truck
    [​IMG]
    Roy's image

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

I use the LIL TARHEEL Screwdriver antenna fo HF and have the ICOM IC706 MKII I can move from the truck and camper. Also have a couple of VHF/UHF Ham Radios as well.

Recently I got a OFF-CENTER Ham Radio all band wire antenna and have an easy fold up 3-inch tripod sections that gets me up to the 25-30 foot height for the wire antenna. Then I throw the ends of this up into the trees... It out performs my LIL Tarheel mobile antenna big time...

I am into emergency comms associated with bad weather thanks to living in North Texas country where you have the green skys every three days during the season hehe...

Logged a many conversations camping back off trail in my OFF-ROAD Starcraft 14RT setup. Also alot of this was with MARS RADIO OPS (Radio Teletype) where computers and large external screens were used. I had all this setup in the unused Tent Bed Area behind the wrap around seating shown above in the floor plan... Using two 22-inch screens worked out great for Ham radio and the Internet ops... My Internet connections for all over the locations was using the VERIZON MIFI units. Where-ever your Verizon worked so did the MIFI account.

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  16. michvhf

michvhf New Member

KA8CSH here. Got my Extra on St Paddy's Day this year, been a ham for about 40 years. We used to camp all the time when the kids were small, but as they got into high school that stopped so we sold the camper (travel trailer). Recently (hmmm, same day I got my Extra) I bought a PUP, 2000 Skamper Sport, and am getting it ready for this camping season. Got a Kenwood TS-140S I'll be using in it and will probably be using a Hamstick for now. I'm usually only on 75M anyway. For the TV I have a Yaesu FT-100D (H/V/U).

Now all I need is for winter to finally end. I think this is the 3rd or 4th winter so far this year!

17. michvhf

michvhf New Member

Need to update my previous post. On a whim I decided to get a vanity call so now I'm K8ZW. After 40 years I never thought I'd change it, but then again 40 years ago I never thought I'd go for extra.

I also have the antenna all set for now. Going cheap I went for a hamstick rotatable dipole for 75M. Rather narrow, I have it tuned for 3920 so I can work 3930 (where I'm usually at) and a bit above and down to around 3905. Like I said, rather narrow. I have a machine shop so I may try making a screwdriver antenna. Might be a fun project.

18. Rich Knack

Rich Knack Member

KC8MWG here! I like to use a Yaesu FT-817ND with a Bioenno 15AH LiFePO4 battery, and a Bioenno 20-watt solar panel and charge regulator to keep it topped off. If I want more RF power, I have a 40-watt HF amp and a 30 watt 2-meter amp. Antenna for HF is a Buddipole, or occasionally an end-fed wire, and an Elecraft auto-tuner. For 2-meters, I have a homebrew copper pipe J-pole (or the magmount that normally sits on my vehicle, which also works on 440), and if I want to do 6 meters (which I rarely do, but on occasion...), I have a Ringo Ranger. I also have a Nue-PSK digital modem if I want to operate digital modes without having a computer handy.

19. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

K6BRW. I've been off the air for a few years but hoping to get back at it. Trying to decide what to do for an antenna on the pup. I've got a G5RV jr in a box from the old QTH. I used to do VHF/UHF contesting, mainly roving (DM06 (QTH), DM05, DM07, CM95, CM96, CM97). Think I have an activation of CM85 (UC Santa Cruz) one year.

Next camping trip is with the radio club (K6ARP) in a couple weekends. I think there's a HF contest that weekend.