Amateur Radio Operators?

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by rangerover, Jul 28, 2013.

1. theseus

theseus Living the Darkside... Silver Supporting Member

I can’t believe I missed this thread originally! KE4AGS

I’m just waiting for the Dayton hamfest to try again for my Extra.

2. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

Where do y'all buy capacitors, resistors etc in one or twos (or 5minimun) these days. I have not done anything electronic in decades, and the marketplace has changed so much. The bits and pieces are for a 1-valve RCA Suitcase record player.

3. ccarley

ccarley Active Member

That's a tough one. We used to have HSC Electronics around but they went away several years ago; I noticed some local hole in the wall computer shops around have some of their old stock. I think most of the radio shops really just carry radios but some of the big ones might be worth a shot.

Clay

4. NMroamer

NMroamer Well-Known Member

Jameco Electronics.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  5. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

If you in CA, Fry's. On the east coast, Micro center does have a bunch, though not at competitive prices. There's a good couple of online sources (digikey, etc). Though sometimes you can get lucky and find the size you need by taking apart old equipment. I try and keep a collection from old LCD/Plasma Tv's- they are a good source for caps (not so much for resistors). Computer power supplies are good for caps as well too. Diodes, its hit and miss. I also have bought a bunch from ebay. They were actually of good quality.
    There was a time where breadboards were common place- but those are harder to get. Regionally there are still places, you have to search online. I found a place locally, (kinda like a maker studio kinda thing).

KD2OKF btw. But the repeaters here are like a "members only" kinda thing, so.. not many people to talk to. I've done the APRS stuff though through a TNC.