Amateur Radio - WRTC 2014

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by BuxCamper, Jul 6, 2014.

1. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

Every four years (or so) the Olympics of amateur radio contesting are held to find out who is the best of the best. This year (July 13 - 14, 2014) it will be held across New England. 59 sites will be set up for two person teams and a referee to see who can make the most two-way amateur radio contacts in 24 hours. More details can be found here: http://www.wrtc2014.org/.

I will be the site manager for one of the sites at Myles Standish State Forrest, specifically the Charge Pond camping area, loop D (this loop has not been in use for several years).

If anyone is in the area, feel free to stop by. I will be there from July 10 - 13 With the odd chance of running an errand,

2. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

Enjoy!!

3. Heady

Heady Active Member

Sounds pretty cool....wish I was closer to come check it out.

4. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Sounds really fun. We've just camped there during the memorial Day weekend (Fearing Pond loop I)
    Just curious. People actually set up their Yagis and dipoles on the camp ground?
    And everyone is running his generator I suppose?

73 from KD2BT

5. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

This is an organized competition with 59 two person teams from around the world. There are about 20 operating sites in Myles Standish State Forrest. Two are at the Charge Pond camping area. One of those is in the group area near the loop's entrance and the other (the site I'm responsible for) is D loop (there are 5 loops in the Charge Pond camping area) which has been closed for several years.

The organizer is providing the same beam antenna, 40 foot tower and dipoles for every team. Also each team gets the same tent, tables, chairs and generator. They have to supply radios limited to 100 Watts and computers for logging.

Most of the MSSF sites are in the middle of nowhere in the park. My instructions to reach one of the sites last year was to drive down the road and turn left on to the trail when you see the ribbon hanging from the tree branch. If I didn't know that I would have never have found the site.

The competitors will not know what site they have until Friday morning before the contest. They will then be driven to the site where to set up their stuff. The contest starts 8:00 AM Saturday morning. They will get their callsign 15 minutes before that. Competitors may not reveal their home callsign during the contest.

Myself and two friends were one of the test stations last year. It was a lot of work but also a lot of fun.

BTW WRTC still needs volunteers. YOU DO NOT HAVE TO BE A LICENSED AMATEUR RADIO OPERATOR! Many of the sites can use a relief person or two to keep an eye on the equipment which will be set up Wednesday and Thursday so the primary people can run an errand, get a shower, etc. I myself could use some relief coverage Wednesday evening so I can attend the official welcome BBQ (July 9th). If you can spare a couple of hours during the event period go to http://www.wrtc2014.org/volunteer/. You will have to sign a waiver/release form at http://www.wrtc2014.org/waiver-and-release-form/. As you will not have been trained on how to install the tower and antennas you will not be responsible for working on that.

If anyone does stop by there will be a WRTC sign by the entrance to the loop though I don't know if I will put it up before Friday. The gate will likely be closed but not locked. Just push it open, drive through and then close it. If anyone from the park asks, just tell them your visiting the amateur radio site. Every employee at the park knew who we were last year which made things easier. (Except when I called a MA Environmental Policeman a Ranger, he didn't like that. Sigh, to many years of living in PA.)

Mark
    AA3K

6. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

URGENT URGENT URGENT
    The staff of one site in Myles Standish State Forrest Massachusetts has withdrawn and another has lost several members. If you can spare the time this week contact K1KI through the WRTC2014.org website.

Again you do NOT need to be a licensed amateur radio operator. Just be able to set up a tent, generator, tables and chairs and keep an eye on things.

7. Mr Zip

Mr Zip Member

AH another contest....That is cool but not for me. CW here

73, W8ZIP

8. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

Good luck - I'll keep an ear out - 73 de AK4BM

9. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

No pictures???? Didn't happen!!!

10. BuxCamper

BuxCamper Member

I've been on the road for work almost continually. I'll post the ones I took. You can find more at wrtc2014.org.

BTW the WRTC contest is within the IARU HF contest. It is both phone and CW. The actual contestants had to qualify and be invited. 59 two person teams.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk