Amber LED Strip light for under the canopy

Discussion in 'Lighting, Interior and Exterior' started by daduruguay1961, Nov 19, 2020 at 3:13 PM.

1. daduruguay1961

daduruguay1961 New Member

I want to install an amber LED strip light on the side of the pup camper's roof right under the canopy bag.
    I am looking online and I see several brands and types, has anyone out here done this and can give me any recommendations on brand and model ?

Thank You

2. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I did on my HTT about 3-4 years ago. Still works well. I used one that was I67 waterproof and stuck it on with 3m outdoor tape. I connected it to a switch that is a dimmer. My led strip is white, I didn’t want the multiple colors you can get. I got it all from Amazon, nothing special about them I highly recommended being able to dim the lights.

Michael J likes this.
  3. nepbug

nepbug New Member

How are you running the wiring to it?

I've got all the parts to do this myself, but haven't come up with a solid plan for the wiring yet.

4. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

I tapped power from the outdoor light. But mine’s an HTT so I don’t have the roof situation of a pup. You can probably steal power from an internal ceiling light.

5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

On my popup there are wires running outside up to my roof. I bought some 12v led strip lights and plan to tap into those wires. The wires are on the hookup side of the camper so Im considering running the strip lights along the back and under the awning. Still debating on whether I want to do the front as well. I just haven't quite gotten around to it yet so can't comment on how well it works. I did buy multi color lights but I would probably only use white or red. It has a dim feature so I'm not lighting up the sky when I don't need to. For me I bought 12v because most of my camping is done off grid and I wanted to be able to use them no matter where I camp.

6. jckele

jckele Member

After my first set of LED strip lights ( 12v) under the canopy failed from water intrusion, and they were listed as IP67, I put my second set in clear heat shrink. I left the end a bit long and filled with silicone before shrinking. Did the same thing at the cable end to seal it. I used a cut from a 50' roll of heat shrink but shorter lengths would work by overlapping. Been at least 4 years with no issues. An added layer of protection.

daduruguay1961 likes this.
  7. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I bought a set of these mini Coleman string lights a couple years ago, I just clip them to the edge of the awning when I set up, & take them down when I roll the awning up. They're battery powered, but a set of batteries lasts us an entire season, & provide just the right amount of light for us.
    https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-LED-String-Lights-Lanterns/dp/B001TSCDBQ

20180825_201945.jpg

Michael J and daduruguay1961 like this.
  8. daduruguay1961

daduruguay1961 New Member

I need lights to be amber, we camp in florida most of the time and the insects swarm up if the lights are white....

gardenheather likes this.
  9. giadiep

giadiep Active Member

Led strip lights can be had in any color, including amber. Many come with a controller that lets you select the color, change colors or patterns, etc.