Amicalola Falls State Park April 2012

Discussion in 'Georgia' started by shaw988, Apr 8, 2012.

1. shaw988

shaw988 New Member

Greetings,
    My wife and son camped at Amicalola State Park this past week. The park's main attraction of course is the falls and they won't disappoint. The park is riddled with hiking and walking trails that will suit every age. We took the 10 mile round trip hike to the Len Foote Inn on the Springer Mountain AT approach trail. This was a prefect 4 hour round trip hike. It was Spring Break for us but the crowds weren't that bad. The Park staff was most pleasant and friendly. The Lodge sells ice for $2 a bag since the closes place to buy ice is a 25 minute ride.
    Check out the old church and Civil War grave yard on the road just off the camp road. Nice 1.5 mile drive.
    Getting to the camp site is a 25% grade climb for about a half mile. My 6 cyl 4Runner had a tough go of it pulling our Fleetwood Sequoia but we made it. The pick your empty site system works just fine. Site 16 was our site and it was a winner. Plenty of room for two cars, Pop Up. Each site has a grill fire ring and table. Our site was big enough for us to erect our 10x10 screen room over the table. The site next to us turned over three times. It appears that campers on their way to the AT spend the night there.
    [:(]Now the not so good. The camp site roads are suffering from some significant erosion so there is allot of crush n run in the road. Not much fun for an evening stroll with your dog. The bath houses are subpar. [:(!] The showers are moldy and the shower curtains look like a science project. In the men's room the first shower the hot and cold knobs turn on the same direction and the water sprays directly on the floor. If it rains you will get muddy walking to the showers from the mud that has eroded into the walkway.
    OK, I'm done venting- otherwise this was a remarkable place to stay. If we go back, I will invest in another grey tank and hook up to my shower in the Pop Up.
    Hope this helps anyone headed up there. If you avoid the bath house it's a definite must see.

2. papachaz

papachaz New Member

thanks for the write up! i like to know in advance how a place is maintained before we go. we have looked at going here, it's just over an hour for us to there. maybe they're planning some work in the near future. you can go to the GA State Parks website and write your review, the times i have, i have gotten responses relatively quickly. I personally think maybe they like to know about the problems, maybe it's time to make some staff changes!

let us know how that comes out

3. carolinacampers

carolinacampers Nights camped: 2008-10, 2009-25, 2010-6.

Thanks for the review!
    I was surprised in your disappointment with the facilities. We have camped at several Ga State Parks and have only had one terrible experience, which was at Magnolia Springs State Park. I did complain both to the park staff and rangers during our visit, and then via online when we returned home. Our return visits to that park have been more pleasant.
    Please take papachaz's advice and let the State Park peeps know about your experience.

Again, thanks for taking the time to write a review. We would like to get up that way to vist Amicalola.

4. shaw988

shaw988 New Member

Glad you found my quick review helpful. I took your advice and dropped the State a quick note. Nothing harsh.
    Watch for more reviews as my family and I begin to travel around the South East.
    Be well. [PU]

5. FW Arcadia

FW Arcadia Member

Just returned from a trip to Amicalola Falls last week end and can say that some of you issues have been addressed. Have added some new paving on the steep part of the loop to fix the run off and met the new Hosts that I really think will change things around. The restrooms are better than described and really think they will get better. The new Hosts just arrived last Sat and are planning on being there for 2 months so think with time, it will improve. Note though, the ice machines at both the Lodge and Visitor Center were overwhelmed and ice was in short supply. Note 2, the 25 degree climb to the CG is not for the overweight anything.
    Other than a thunderstorm Sat nite, we had a good time.