amp/hour needed to power the heater?

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Fred1diver, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

hey everyone I'm thinking about getting a power booster to power the pup for the cold and non power campsites.
    now I don't know what model heater I have in my 1999 viking.
    I'm just looking at a ballpark figure.
    Thanks in advance

2. rabird

rabird Howdy!

likely the atwood everest 7916-II @ 40 watts or ~ 3.4A, if the fan runs 1/3 of the time thats ~ 1 ah for each hr.
    Operate it 10hrs and that's 10 ah, A 20ah battery would get ya thru 10 hrs of operation @ that 1/3 run time.

specs page 4
    http://bryantrv.com/docs2/docs/hflameservice.pdf

BillyMc likes this.
  3. Fred1diver

Fred1diver Active Member

thanks, that was what I was looking for

4. davekro

davekro Active Member

So another way to say it (using your #’s) is one could run your heater for 10 hours (w/no or minimal other use). Thanks for the ballpark piece of mind that running the heater for say an 30-60 mins each night and morning for a 3-4 day trip leave some cushion. And that for a week long boondocks trip, maybe I’ll invest in the $596 Champion 2000/1600 (10% less on propane) dual fuel inverter generator I’m gonna be looking for a Black Friday deal on. I had been keen on awaiting a 10% off sale on the highly rated $500 Harbor Freight Predator 2000, but even for my frugal mind, not having to deal with always draining gas from the carb. bowl between very occasional usage, is a huge plus for me. Not even to mention mot needing to carry a smelly gas can in the pup.

Now in nor. California PG&E Warning too often of possible shut downs, it is cheap insurance to keep the frig. TV and some lights on in the house. This Champion is the only 2000 W dual fuel I have found. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champio...-Portable-Inverter-Generator-100402/309408977

5. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I have the same furnace, those numbers are almost exactly what my battery monitor showed it used to power our PUP over night. I started with 105 AH and running the furnace, charging 4 devices, and very little light usage I had 94 AH when I started the generator to make coffee (forgot to get the percolator from the tent camping stuff). By next spring there will be a percolator dedicated to the PUP.

Atwood also made a version (8012 I think) that had less than 2 amp draw. I wished mine had that one, but at $470 I'll keep what I have. Gave up finding a used one.