Amperage draws for Fleetwood pups

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by P8ntballer, Mar 26, 2018.

1. P8ntballer

P8ntballer New Member

I have a 2006 Fleetwood Sun Valley pup with a domestic 3 way fridge, 16k btu furnace, on demand water pump and a 5 gal hot water heater. I run a primary deep cycle agm rated at 200AH, with an 80AH backup battery and have found that depending on temps that the primary can fail by night two if not charged during the day. The primary is mounted outside on the tongue and the backup is kept inside the heated area.
    I am seeking the amperage draws of the electric components to size a solar set up to charge my batteries as we usually boondock. I have primarily been charging the batteries with a generator but would like to move to solar. We start camping in Canada in early April when temps at night drop down to freezing and need the furnace to operate for 3-4 days on our battery alone.
    Any concerns if I move the batteries into the cord storage bins to keep them warmer? Are there any off gassing issues that I ‘d need to address and how?
    Any help is appreciated!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2018
  2. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Active Member

I measured these last year for my 2010 Niagara:

Battery Monitor 0.03
    LP Detector 0.09
    Fridge 0.06 - constant, spikes to .5 amps when the fans kick on
    Water Pump 1.5
    Furnace 3.5
    Water Heater 0.71 when actually heating water. I turn it off when the burner shuts off.
    Lights- .5 amp per each 2 bulb fixture (LED's)

I run the water pump for about 15 minutes total per day if we use the shower, maybe 5 minutes if not. We usually heat the pup up before bed, then set the thermostat to between 50 and 55 degrees. The furnace typically will cycle on for about 5 minutes every 20 minutes.

In cooler weather, we would typically use between 20 and 25 amps overnight. I have a 100 watt Renogy suitcase to recharge. Depending on where we camp (beach vs mountains), I can be at 100% SOC by early afternoon (beach) or by the end of the solar day (mountains).

The wildcard is going be your furnace usage. You might want to look into heat retention measures (PUGS, reflectix, carpet, etc) to keep in the heat you're generating.

Toolmaker13, PaThacker and MaeKay like this.
  3. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

@MaeKay since you were asking the same questions...

MaeKay likes this.
  4. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

Early April Canada and PA can be frigid at night. I don’t see any alternatives but generators, 1500 watt heater, pugz, reflectex and furnace. Run furnace at night and generator during the day to recharge in these extreme weather conditions. I have heated beds but rarely use them.

5. PaThacker

I debated years ago spending a $1000 on generator or $1,000 on constantly evolving solar industry. Effects all campers not only pups. Final usage area dictates which type of recharge/usage is needed. 4 seasons areas with -15f to 105f it is generator or die!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    theseus likes this.
  6. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Good sleeping bag for -15 F, 105 F won't kill you.

7. PaThacker

Yeah but tossing a grand around for tried and true or evolving techno could