Amps used by heated mattress

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by Jumanji, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Jumanji

Jumanji Beautiful BC

My Rockwood has heated mattressed and I'm wondering if anyone knows how many amps they draw when in use? We want to do some fall camping and we're wondering if it's worth plugging them into an inverter while dry camping. Most of our provincial campsites don't offer power.

2. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

I am not sure and I assume different models use different amount of power... but to find out get one of these:

Kill-a-watt meter (105-125VAC measurement only)

I use it all the time for computer and electrical stuff all the time.... I plan to bring it along on our next trip (or maybe in the driveway) to see what different devices use separately and together to make sure I don't trip any more breakers/fuses

3. Jumanji

Jumanji Beautiful BC

Ooh, I didn't think of that. I've been wanting to try that on home stuff as well so it would be dual purpose.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

This got me curious so I tried to do some research. However, none of the AC mattress pads I found stated their amp draw. I did find a 12vdc pad (single/twin size) that said it drew 4.6 amps. If they mean per hour, then the pad will use 36.8 amps in eight hours. Double that for a partner's pad and you're talking 73.6 amps. If you have an 80-amp battery, one night will kill it.

In general, anything that produces heat requires a lot of electrical power. I would bet that AC mattress pads running on an inverter would kill a battery in a night too. I think the best approach is to get warm standard bedding and use either the camper's furnace (battery and propane) or a Mr. Buddy heater (propane). Pop-Up Gizmos on the bunk ends and Reflectix inserts in the windows will help a great deal too.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I agree with Unstable_Tripod, I think your best bet would be to throw an extra blanket on and some nice wool socks to keep warm!

6. theseus

theseus Centerville, OH

An inverter that would be capable of running your mattress pad, would drain your battery pretty quick. I would imagine that you would need to recharge your battery in the morning. Your best bet is to do as others have suggested and just use extra bedding.

7. hvac1877

hvac1877 Old Dominion Iron Chefs Highland Springs, Va

Put some more covers or use the pup lp Furnace. You could burn up the inverter or kil the battery and maybe a bad cell in the battery.

8. Jumanji

Jumanji Beautiful BC

Thanks for the input. I figured that would be the case but thought it was worth it to at least crunch the numbers to know for sure.

9. moshy

moshy New Member

argh! I was so pumped about running my mattress heaters out in the boonies, i couldn't believe it when the guy at camping world said "just run the generator all night".

would a couple of golf cart batteries do the trick?

10. moshy

moshy New Member

hah i answered my own question. Using my dinky 400w/3.48a inverter out of the jeep I ran a 50' extension cord to inside the PUP and ran one of my bunk heaters which is actually labeled "150w max" on the back. Cranked the control on it to max and it heated up fine.

11. kreich

kreich Member

keep your extension cord as short as possiable. This will help also. The longer the wire feeding something the posability of voltage drop. Could damage equiptment.

12. moshy

moshy New Member

I just noted it for the testing, that the little inverter could push through a long cord and still power the mattress unit.

I'm still amazed that the draw was so little.

13. md-500man

md-500man Member

Jumanji Good ?? I will have the pup up in a couple of days after the rain clears out and will throw the clamp style amp gauge on to find out. I'll try low, med, and high settings.

14. moshy

moshy New Member

sorry for spamming this thread- but I bought a 2nd deep cycle (grp24) just to run the bunk warmer this weekend. I had it set at 2 of 6 all night and according to my 12v meter the battery went from 95% to 92%. toasty warm all night and it got down to the mid-40's.

15. Jumanji

Jumanji Beautiful BC

Thanks for testing that out. I just bought a small inverter for running my tacky LED light but it's only a 200w so maybe I'll look at getting a 400w to test out the heaters.

I'm trying to decide between getting a 2nd battery or saving up for a generator. We dry camp a lot and having extra power would be helpful. Our last trip in October was to an electric site and it was so nice not having to worry about the battery.

16. jmullan99

jmullan99 New Member

Gee, I thought half the fun of dry camping was "surviving". Plan your battery use to stretch it out.

But yes, it's nice to break up the dry camping with welectric site once in a while [;)]

John