An idea...

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by R00, Nov 2, 2014.

1. R00

R00 Active Member

Was looking at my buddy's 30' TT and his recent dropdown spare tire mod when I noticed a steel workbench drawer sitting on the ground. His plan is to bolt it up next to the spare for tire changing tools, etc. This gave me an idea...

When I got home I measured my BAL leveler. Approximately 22" x 22" x 5"

I put my google-fu to use but I came up lacking...doesnt help we dont have a working desktop at home. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to help me find a locking metal drawer and sleeve that will accept these dimensions. It will be bolted under the frame on the utility side forward of the axle. I'm really stoked about this mod, but am having a hard time sourcing a drawer [emoji23]

2. R00

R00 Active Member

I've got this going on but I'm not happy about exposure to the elements.
    [​IMG]

3. Twisty

Twisty New Member

[​IMG]

Craigslist - That one is local to me - $25 - a couple cuts - maybe one fold - seal weld it - roller drawer guides and a lock!!

4. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

I think you are on to something here. My Coleman has a small lock box under the doorway that can only be opened when the door/step is open/down. This is the perfect location for a little bit bigger box. I think your box would be easy to fabricate from a lateral file cabinet.

5. R00

R00 Active Member

Twisty that gives me even more ideas. Argh. That thing could ride on sliders the entire width of the frame. Bit more work than the 1 hour drill/bolt/paint scenario I had envisioned. Also, since I use tapatalk I cant see where "local" is for you.

6. R00

R00 Active Member

jnc mine would have to ride forward of the drivers side tire on the utility side.

[​IMG]

I agree a lateral file cabinet might get it done. Was hoping for a single drawer with a sleeve. Generally more secure it seems

7. R00

R00 Active Member

In case anyone wonders why I don't store it just inside the door it's because the lift system doesn't allow for the lower half to open until the roof is raised.

8. jnc

Oh I was thinking single drawer. a lot of cutting and banging.but basically pull drawers mount with front up under trailer cut new drawer in top. Like I said a lot of cutting and banging. Probably some bleeding & swearing but file cabinets are easy to get free.

9. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

We just carry ours in a padded cooling bag from Sam's (or COSTCO). Since it's the first thing that we want to get to and want it to be clean, it fits in the TV last. Seems to work ok.

10. R00

R00 Active Member

On long hauls, we take the XTerra. Cargo space is a concern. Also, I want to keep the trailer a self-contained unit as much as possible, minimizing the amount of gear being transferred from house to vehicle to other vehicle or house, etc...

11. Twisty

Twisty New Member

Hillsboro, OR
    There is also a free plastic box that is the same shape.

12. aslag

aslag Pacific Northwest

Here's when I keep mine, the wrench, nut and screw are kept in my tool bag.
    [​IMG]

13. rwilliek

rwilliek New Member

I do the same thing...except I built a bracket on the back to hold up the weight and keep it from slipping out into the middle of the camper.

14. R00

R00 Active Member

My step only 19" wide. No joy. I was on board with the idea though!

15. jnc

Keep you eyes & mind open with any luck you will find something that will work for you.

16. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Option 1. Use a pizza bag, water proof it to keep the Bal nice and toasty behind the tire. Store the screw and nut elsewhere.
    Option 2. Build a Square wood box (with a hinged door) for a perfect fit, water-proof it, bolted to the under frame as you envisioned.

17. R00

R00 Active Member

Option 1 is out, this pic was a quick shot of the first time I dropped it in there. For travel 4 heavy duty velcro straps hold it in place thru the wheel spokes and aroumd tthe BAL.

Option 2 is in development. Ill have enlist the resources and skills (and tools, mostly the tools) of my recently retired father-in-law...