An oldie

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Byrd_Huntr, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Byrd_Huntr

Byrd_Huntr Well-Known Member

Here's a picture of an old camper that I stumbled across on the Internet

Attached Files:

2. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

I saw one similar to that at a campground earlier this year. Was a mid 60's nimrod. Talked to the guy for a few minutes, he said he picked it up in almost mint condition and he and his family had been using it for about a year and loved it. Was pretty much the basic tent on wheels setup with one cabinet and no electric or water. I looked at a couple when I was hunting for a pup but most of the owners thought they were classics demanding big money no matter what condition they were in.

3. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

In the mid 60's I was 10, and thought the Nimrods were so great. We [five of us] camped for two weeks every summer. Our tent was canvas and relied on wooden stakes and hemp guy lines to keep it up. It filled the entire footwell of the back seat, making it less than comfortable for us three boys, to ride to wherever we are headed. I wanted a pop-up, but between not having a place for one of the kids, and not having a place to store it, we never did.

Fast forward to the mid 80's. Tents were nylon, and went up easily, so it didn't matter that, when our sixth child arrived in the 90's, we moved the two oldest to their own tent. Pop-ups had gotten to where they could easily fit a family of 5, but we were a family of 8, besides we lived in a townhouse and had nowhere to store it.

In 2008, after a number of years in our single family home, on a corner lot, with a driveway out back. We go a pop-up. Some of the kids still had to sleep in an auxilliary tent, but by then the oldest ones were going less and less. This year it has been just DW and myself on our four trips. We could fit in the Nimrod, but I'm blessed with a Niagara, and wouldn't trade. Enjoy it to the max.

4. flat_twin

flat_twin Member

The camper in the Dodge Dart ad is a mid 60's Apache Eagle. It's the big brother to my 65' Apache Raven.

5. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

I also thought that it looked like an Apache, in the middle 60s my wife and I both worked for Vesley the Apache manufacturer in Lapeer, MI. We each earned $1.00 an hour. She ran a sewing machine, I a press. Not much money, but a good place to work, and always loved the trailers. The buildings are still there, the last time I noticed it was still sitting empty.

6. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

As nice as the camper is, I want the Dart! [:D]

7. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I run a Vintage Pop-up Campers (pre-1980) Facebook group and see some pretty awesome pups come through!!!