Anastasia S.P. -- June 2017 ??

Discussion in 'Past Rallies' started by SHFL, Nov 19, 2016.

When would you be interested in camping at Anastasia S.P. ?

1. 6/1/17 - 6/4/17

75.0%
  2. 6/8/17 - 6/11/17

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 6/15/17 - 6/18/17

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 6/22/17 - 6/25/17

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 6/29/17 - 7/2/17 (or thru 7/5/17)

50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Some of us were posting about Anastasia State Park in/near St. Augustine, FL and were considering having a Ralky there in 2017.

I checked, and there are LOTS of tent sites available in June.

A little background info...

We camped on a tent site at Anastasia in June 2015, and her is what I remember the ranger saying.

1. The tent site are for tents, vans, and pop-ups only because,
    The loop roads have tight turns and are narrow. A long camper might not be able to make the turns.

2. I remember asking about the 10ft maximum vehicle length, even though som of the sites are 30+ feet long. This length limit has to do with the road width and the orientation of the site. With a long tow vehicle and a long camper, it is nearly impossible to back the camper into the site with the TV. We didn't have a problem with this because it was our first trip with the pup, and we hadn't mastered backing in. We just unhitched and used a dolley to push the pup into the site. Then we backed our van into the site in front of the pup.

3. Some sites have low-hanging branches at the entrance to the site. A car, truck, or pup can clear the branches, and then opened up once in he site.

With all of the, it is important or read the notes on the site, look at the site length, width, and site pictures (with a special eye out for trees in the middle of the site). Most of us should be able to maneuver our pups into all but a few of the tent sites.

After saying all of that, there are tent sites every weekend in June. Considering weekends Thursday-Sunday the following sites are available in June, (sorry, no graphs tonight).

6/1-6/4/17 38 tent, 9 RV/tent sites
    6/8-6/11/17 42 tent, 11 RV/tent sites
    6/15-6/18/17 41 tent, 16 RV/tent sites
    6/22-6/25/17 44 tent, 34 RV/tent sites
    6/29-6/2/17 42 tent, 6 RV/tent sites
    6/29-7/5/17 42 tent, 0 RV/tent sites

Let's think about dates. 6/22-6/25/17 has the greatest availability, But 6/29-7/5/17 makes good use of the holiday..

Post your thoughts, and I'll figure out how to set up a poll.

2. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

I just spoke with one of the park rangers, and he said that with our 17 foot camper (travel length) that we should only select tent sites that have a maximum vehicle length of 20 ft.

HOWEVER, when we stayed last year we got a last minute reservation for a 10ft site (that is the maximum vehicle length; the site was actually 24 ft long, and 14 ft wide) and we had no trouble pushing our camper into the site.

I'll be posting a table with tent site availability, max vehicle length, site length and width, and and any site specific peculiarities in about an hour. Stay tuned...

3. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

I have created a table with the dimensions for all of the tent sites at Anastasia S.P. The maximum vehicle length, site length, and site width are indicated for each site. I have also included notes/comments that were listed on the reservation page. All of the tent sites have the note "Tent, Van, or Pop-up ONLY." BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR RESERVATION, please verify the site information; I am not responsible for ant typos.

I have listed the availability for each site for each of the weekends in June 2017. I have also listed the total number of available 10-ft and 20-ft tent sites. On several of the weekends RV sites are also available--but it would take me until after Thanksgiving to get all of that information together!

As I typed above, the ranger said that with our 17-ft Cheyenne, we should not consider sites with a 10-ft maximum vehicle length. HOWEVER, we were able to get our camper into site #18 using a dolly in June 2015. The ranger is correct -- for many of the 10-ft sites it is impossible for all but the BEST drivers to back their campers in if they are more than 10-ft long, but a dolly eliminates that problem.

In the spirit of full disclosure, we just booked site #4 for July 4th, but we will also plan to join you on whichever weekend is selected. We couldn't pass up this opportunity for an awesome camping weekend!

For reservation information,
    http://floridastateparks.reserveamerica.com/camping/anastasia-sp/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=FL&parkId=281003

For pictures of the campsites,
    http://www.campsitephotos.com/campground/Anastasia-State-Park
    Several of the 10ft site photos have pups on them!

Campground map,
    https://mobilerving.com/assets/uploads/23104/1451405596.pdf
    or
    http://www.floridarambler.com/florida-best-beaches/anastasia-state-park/
    or
    https://mobilerving.com/assets/uploads/23104/1451405596.pdf

Attached Files:

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Girlfriend, you are AMAZING! [CP] I love your attention to detail, thorough research, and willingness to go the extra mile to make everything easier for others. Thank you for all you do!

Also, I think the 4th sounds amazing and probably reserve then, just as you have, regardless rally dates. St. Augustine is nice enough to visit twice in a month. [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.