Anastasia State Park -- Tent Camping -- 6/29-7/2

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by SHFL, Jul 3, 2017.

1. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

We booked 6 nights at Anastasia State Park (June 29-July 5) and we were looking forward to spending the holiday in St. Augustine.

The stock mattress in our pup was awful, and putting air mattresses under it was only marginally better. So, we broke down and purchased a Lucid 5" mattress from Walmart. On Saturday 6/24 I cut the mattress to size and stitched the cover closed. We pulled the pup out of the garage, excited to be putting the new mattress in the camper, leveled the camper, unmatched the roof, and began to crank. About 2 inches up we hear a POP and then the crank turned easily -- but the ratchet wasn't clicking. A metal cylinder came out from where we were cranking. With great sadness, we pushed our wounded pup back in to the garage. Fortunately, we love each other, so there was no yelling..

After searching the internet we found that our Drive Hub Extension had broken. We were happy to find the part and videos on how to fix it, but there was to way we could fix the pup before our trip. We decided not to camp.

Sunday, 6/25, we thought about how disappointed our kids would be NOT camping for the holiday, and we decided we'd TENT CAMP. I put this in caps because it was tent camping that led us to buy the pup (hot humid weather and biting yellow flies). We're not crazy; we changed our plan to camp only 3 nights (6/29-7/2), and come back early to recover.

OUR TRIP-
    1. We learned that the pup holds a lot of gear. Our minivan was stuffed for this trip.
    2. WE LOVE OUR PUP! Setting up the tent was actually faster than setting up the pup. BUT, hauling gear into the tent takes longer. Blowing up 3 air mattresses took some time (but is lighter than dragging in the cots). Sleeping on the ground bites. We DID bring our potty, so we were happy with that.
    3. Fans can cool, but do NOTHING to reduce the humidity.
    4. WE LOVE OUR PUP! We love the beds, we love the AC, we love the refrigerator, we love the dinette, we love the simplicity of one electrical cord, we love not being on the ground when it is raining, we love the awing. WE MISS OUR PUP.
    5. Rain was forecast for every day, and it rained every day -- at some point. But the trip was not a total wash out.
    6. We explored St. Augustine, ate great food, met interesting people, and went on an exciting sailing trip.
    7. We also learned that WE LOVE OUR PUP. The kids commented that they don't mind cranking or the care that we must take to fold the canvas, and they miss the pup too..
    Our goal is to fix the pup by the end of the summer (we have no other summer trips planned). We'll also clean and grease the whiffle tree.

I've attached a picture of our tent -- the solar blankets worked like Gizmos for the tent (but we didn't put them on until the second morning).

We'll update when we finally fix the pup! Enjoy your holiday!
    IMG_1472.JPG

Redbird934 likes this.
  2. Grizzly_Wayne

Grizzly_Wayne Member

Sounds like you made the best of it. Growing up in Florida in scouts, we camped in all kinds of weather. Usually, hot, muggy rainy weather. I don't miss that part. Hope you get the pup fixed quickly!

3. RollTideRick

RollTideRick Member

I'm sorry to hear about your PUP, St Augustine is an awesome place. We have a son that lives there and we love going every chance we get. I hope you enjoy the Fireworks Show, it is awesome! ( I'm sure the PUP has missed you too!) Happy 4th of July!

4. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We still get out some with our tent setup... Its good to swap modes every now and then...

Our tent bed is two of those raised off the floor beds with air mattress insert in them. tie wrap together to make a full queen size bed...

My truck has extra batteries setup in the truck bed and Power Converter if we need one... Just plug an extension cord into the truck and you're good to go ...

[​IMG]
    Roy's image

It does take alittle longer to get setup up but worth the effort when you are all done and enjoying the creekside setting...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

5. BrianD

BrianD New Member

We just got our pop up and have it planned like this... We like to camp at Silver Lake Sand Dunes. They have a beautiful lake that we like to jet ski on. We are going to alternate every other trip tent camping and pop up camping. This will allow us to bring my jet skis every other time.

6. jumpoff

jumpoff I'm in a camping state of mind

St Augustine is 30 min south of me and Anastasia is my "go to" campground. Congrats for gutting it out without your pup. I spent many a summer night in St Augustine when I was a kid without a/c... I don't think I could still do it. But you made memories for your kids, what could be better ?

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Nothing like going back to tents to appreciate the things you have better. I still occasionally tent camp every now and again. Nothing can beat the simplicity of tent camping in some aspects. In others, so glad I have my popup.

8. 1stpopup

1stpopup Member

Spent a few days in a tent 3 years ago. That trip prompted the pup purchase.

9. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

We had a good time, but if we tent camp again, it will be during the cooler and drier months (November-March).

Although the nights were hot and sticky, as someone else said on the portal, "Any day camping beats a day working (or not camping)!"

10. Fasttimes7

Fasttimes7 Member

Love Anastasia but usually try to hit it up in spring and winter. How were the bugs treating you?

11. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

We spent most of the days away from the park. The only bugs we encountered at our site were a few mosquitoes in beginning at dusk. And there were a few spiders...

All in all, the bugs were not a big problem.