Andrew Jackson State Park

Discussion in 'South Carolina' started by mai_lin, Apr 7, 2021.

1. mai_lin

mai_lin Member

We took our camper down to Lancaster, SC for a long weekend at Andrew Jackson State Park. Our goal was actually to stay closer to Columbia (where we were picking up our camper from getting some roof work done) but all the other state parks in the ENTIRE state were booked this weekend.

Andrew Jackson is a small state park with 27 RV slots with full hookups. They have a fulltime park ambassador that lives there and he was very helpful. Area stores/shopping isn't too far up Rt. 521 and Charlotte, NC is about 45 min. away.

Took me a while to figure out the water hook up as its those old fashioned pump style water spigots which I've only seen as community water "stations" in state parks in the area before. The lots are paved and flat and with the exception of #25 and #1 (of course what we stayed in) are very easy to back in to but even ours wasn't bad. At the center of the loop is the bath house so its very easy to get to and clean!

At the far end of the loop is access to the pond that you can fish and boat in (they do check for SC fishing license which you can purchase online) and its a pretty darn large pond with easy access. I wish I had known about it as I would have brought our kayaks!

There is a really nice walking trail that goes from the campground to the historical areas of the park and around the lake and the playground - just watch out for the ABUNDANT tree roots that my 3 year old had trouble with.

The road noise from rt 521 (?) was louder than I anticipated at night and my 3 and 5 year old used it as excuses to not go to sleep at first (they search for excuses!) but by the second night it was a non issue.

We were unable to take out our awning due to the proximity of the table/fire ring but all the other, much larger rigs, had theirs out without any problems. We enjoyed all the trees - my teenagers set up their hammocks and we all enjoyed sitting outside with the fire and eating outside.

Overall very pleased with the experience here and would definitely return! It was 3 hours from my home and great for a long weekend!

Doughboy43, BillyMc and kcsa75 like this.
  2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

This one got put on our maybe list about a month ago.
    There are at least two state parks closed in SC for renovations. That coupled with Covid Campers is making sites hard to find.

3. Doughboy43

Doughboy43 Member

We have visited the park before we bought our camper on our quest to get stamps from all of the parks. We did drive through the campground and thought it would be a nice place to stay(we were looking to purchase a camper). Thanks for sharing your experience.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

We stayed there a couple of months ago. Small campground, which we like. It's small enough we could watch the grandson ride his bike around the loop. Lots of kids playing and riding bikes, nice to hear that.