Anniversary trip to Holly Point Campground, Falls Lake Rec. Area Wake Forest NC

speckhunter80

Super Active Member
Jul 26, 2012
Shell Rock Landing, Hubert NC
Left out Monday morning from here at the coast about 11:00 from my Mom's after visiting with her for a half hour or so. Two hours and forty-five minutes later I backed into site 73 loop 2. Was by myself as DW was working. Had the camper all set up and chairs out by 4:00 when my wife got there with exception of putting in the canvas supports. Even had her kayak unloaded. Helped a neighbor with an RV way to big for his site get backed in and situated. Turned out they were from St. Louis where the DW is from

First evening she did some kayaking as the lake was only about 15 yards from our camper and then I fixed our usual first night spaghetti dinner consisting of hamburger/sausage that I had pre-cooked at home, warming the meat mixture and marinara sauce and boiling water for noodles. Spent the remainder of the evening sitting around the fire, watching the air planes fly over on way to RDU and trying to follow the Cards unsuccessfully. Of course they lost that game. DW not happy.

Tuesday was our anniversary and after sleeping in until 8:30 or so breakfast/showers we drove around the whole Holly Point Campground complex which consists of 5 separate camping loop areas. Took notes for review to come. Back to campsite and hanging out until lunch then the DW went kayaking. Fought the traffic to eat at a chain restaurant I had vowed 10 years ago to never eat at again but the DW wanted to go there, so we did. Back to campsite to find neighbors close by on other side with several very young children. Tried once again to follow Cards but can not get them on radio again. They lost. Cubs advance. Between closeness of neighbors and Cards losing there was no Happy [;)], happening on this Happy Anniversary.

Wednesday the DW goes off to work about 15 minutes away while I hang out around campsite some then head out to gather maps and info on the whole Falls Lake Recreation Area. Meet wife for lunch at her office and had lunch with her and a few co-workers from a pretty nice Mobile Food Truck called The Wandering Moose in Raleigh NC . While sitting around talking after eating I look across the parking lot and there is a former coworker of mine who is now the County Health Director for my County. We chat and I find out that a coworker had passed unexpectantly. Back to campsite. DW gets there about 5:20 and goes kayaking for an hour while I get dinner prepared to cook. Light camp fire and get coals right and then we roast Italian Sausage on skewers with peppers and onions in foil pack. Chilly tonight and so we finish off all the wood. Used the A/C heater for only second time and the camper was comfortable. Oh, forgot to mention the close neighbors were gone so....HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY happened. [:D]

This morning(Thursday) we were up at 7:30 and had the camper packed up, top down, hitched up, DW got a shower and was at work at 8:45 only 45 minutes late and 9:00 I was on the road back to the Coast. 11:47 in the yard. Used all the hot water taking a shower when I got home... [LOL] All ready started replenishing the firewood and other supplies as we are going back next Monday for 4 nights as Tuesday is my birthday.

Quick notes, this is very convenient to Raleigh, Wake Forest and Durham. Expect lots of planes flying overhead. Kind of fun watching the lights reflecting on the lake. Recommend this campground but as I said I will be writing a full review for the NC Review file.

fallsrider

Super Active Member
Nov 16, 2006
NC
It sounds like you guys had a great time. Thanks for the write up. We only live 20 minutes from Holly Point, so we camp there often. We love Loop 3, and that is always where we go, staying on sites in the 98 to 106 range. We like that quiet loop. It is not that those sites are that much better, it is that our DS has autism, and he is dangerously drawn to water. We need to stay where the lake is not in view. And with a TT, we don't need to be near the bath house.

As you found out, Loop 2 is definitely the choice for lake views. The non-electric sites get the best views, but there are a few good ones with W/E also.

Loop 1 is an overflow loop that they only open when needed, mostly holidays.

I take DS on multiple one-night trips during the winter, and Rolling View is where we go since, as you said, Holly Point shuts down for the winter.

We love having so many good campsites so close to home.

Thanks again for sharing your experience.

thethird152

Feb 1, 2015
Mt Pleasant, MI
If you came in on 98 you passed a little gas station on your left right before you turned north on HWY 50 - I live right down that road (10 mins from the campground). If you find you've forgotten anything or need to use any creature comforts just let me know!

It is a great campground - DW and I did a one-nighter there this summer, with lots more planned for the fall and spring.

speckhunter80

Super Active Member
Jul 26, 2012
thethird152 said:
If you came in on 98 you passed a little gas station on your left right before you turned north on HWY 50 - I live right down that road (10 mins from the campground). If you find you've forgotten anything or need to use any creature comforts just let me know!

It is a great campground - DW and I did a one-nighter there this summer, with lots more planned for the fall and spring.

On Wednesday I drove over to the Main Info headquarters for the park on 50/Creedmoor and on the way back I stopped at a gas station on the right headed back on 98 to Holly Point just after getting off 50. Bought a bag of ice and gas. Believe it was on the corner of Peed Rd. and 98

speckhunter80

Super Active Member
Jul 26, 2012
Supposed to be back there right now but about 1:00 yesterday started feeling like crap and by 9:00 had a fever of 100 and today been having "other" intestinal issues. Had to cancel our 4 nights of reservations.

SqueaknMCrack

Air Force Brat. Army Mom
Feb 23, 2012
We camp there all the time. Live 9 miles away in Youngsville. Love loop 2 we usually park our boat off our site when we go primitive.

Latest posts