Anode rod from a camper "used 3-4 times"

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by teksavy, Oct 18, 2021.

1. teksavy

teksavy New Member

So as I was winterizing my 2014 Rockwood 2560G tent trailer, I removed the anode rod from the hot water heater. Needless to say I was surprised...

20211016_174412.jpg

The seller said that it was only used 3-4 times. Hmm.. not so sure about that.

Your thoughts? Does the anode rod deteriorate over time regardless of use?

Replacement already ordered.

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Anodes decay at different rates depending on the water.. this one has dine its job and should be replaced.. Before replacing it, use a garden hose and back flush the tank to remove as much sediment as possible..

kcsa75, Sjm9911, LilRed and 3 others like this.
  3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Could also be the prior owner never emptied the hot water tank between those uses. Let's hope they at least winterized.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

May be still good for a season or two. [LOL]

Susan Premo and Allen R Glass like this.
  5. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

If there is water in the heater, the anode is being used. Doesn't matter if the water heater is turned on or not.

kitphantom likes this.
  6. teksavy

teksavy New Member

Ahh, that explains it. I don't think they drained the unit as it was from the valley in California and it doesn't freeze there. I didn't know if the rod continued to get consumed or not just sitting there in the water. Thanks for the info.

7. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

Be sure to sanitize the water system before using. I always sanitized each trailer I bought as the second owner, beginning of each season. I also add a small capful of bleach when filling my tank. I change my anode Rod before each camping season. And drained the WH & fresh water tank after each trip. It helps prevent the water inside your tanks from building up bacteria, from smelling, the insides from rusting (steel WH) and keeps up the maintenance of your water system. Check your anode rod mid season to monitor if you need to change it again.

We do everything to keep up the health and maintenance of our water system on KODI. KODI has an aluminum WH and no anode rod to change out. We have to maintain our WH, fresh water, grey and black tanks. It’s a whole new ball game.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. McFlyfi

McFlyfi Well-Known Member

This is the anode rod's job...it corrodes instead of the tank itself. Working 24/7.