Another back side awning mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by shelmily, Aug 7, 2013.

1. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

I have been thinking about doing a backside awning for a while, so I thought I would give it a try. I didn't want anything real complicated, or hard to assemble/disassemble, and I wanted to keep the cost down as much as possible. I also didn't want it to stick out like a sore thumb. I have seen a few others on here that have done one, took some cues from theirs, and came up with my own.

[​IMG]

Several years ago a very heavy rain caved in a 10x14 canopy I had. The frame was all bent up, but the top was fine. As luck would have it I kept the tarp thinking I might use it later, plus it was tan and looked nice against the pup, first problem solved. I took the original canopy, cut the middle out and seemed it back together so I could keep the edges intact. The original piping on the edges sets it off I think. I added velcro along the entire top to attach it to the inside of the roof. It's easy, strong, and no hole in the roof. The nice thing is it can stay in place, and fold up with the camper.

[​IMG]

Next I had to figure out how to hold it up there. I liked the idea of using the PVC pipes and fittings, but have a little different configuration than the ones I've seen on here, so I made a modified version of another. On the top, I used several elbows and made a fork that goes around the lift posts, and up under the roof lip, to keep it from pulling away.

[​IMG]

The bottom is similar but hangs on the edge of the wall and goes around the lift post as well.

[​IMG]

I decided to go the bungee route, that I had seen someone use before, for simplicity. The only problem was, I had nothing to grab on to under the bunk with a hook. I found these really nice low profile brackets at my local ACE hardware, and mounted them underneath. They hold the hook end of the bungee nicely.

[​IMG]

The other end of the bungee is attached through a hole drilled into the inside top of the support pole. I couldn't put it in the elbow fitting because of the overhang of the awning, so I had to drop it down a few inches, but it works fine there.

[​IMG]

You can also see in that picture how I attached the awning to the poles. I sewed three velcro loops down the length of the awning, that wrap around the pole. You can't see it in the picture, but at the elbow at the end, opposite side of the hole for the hook, there is a strip of velcro there too, to hold the awning from sliding up on the poles.

To finish it up, I seam sealed everything, and gave it a good waterproofing.

All in all, I am real happy with how it came out. If you are sitting in the pup at the dinette, it hangs just right so you can still look out unobstructed. It really is easy to put up and down, The only thing I need to store is the poles, which come apart in the middle at the elbow, so they can lay flat, and the bungees. It got a good testing too, as I had it up yesterday, and it was very windy out all day. It never moved an inch. The only thing I would worry about is severe storms, I would take it down for them I believe.

John2006, Tracy D., Maycat and 2 others like this.
  2. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

The fact that it's steep and short without the restriction of a header bar across the front will prevent water from pooling when it rains. Yep, looks like that'll do nicely! [8D]

3. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Excellent! Idea stolen... [:D]

John2006 and mrkrag like this.
  4. dak2

dak2 Member

My "04" UTAH has an awning rail on back side and Fleetwood had an optional sunshade awning for it. But I didn't get it

Don [8]

5. JeepMama

JeepMama New Member

That is awesome! Great job shemily!

6. Darn

Darn Pup to Hybrid

Impressive!

7. bondebond

bondebond New Member

I really like that you have a minimum of support poles, especially the horizontal support from one leg to the other leg at the edge. I too kept an old canopy after the frame was severely bent during a surprise storm. Unfortunately, now that I've seen this, I can't find it. I like the innovation of your design and will see about adapting it for my specific set up in the future - hopefully.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Very nice!

9. 4Powells

4Powells New Member

Very good job! Looks like it came with the PUP.

10. shelmily

Thanks everyone. I did try to make it look as if it belonged. I think it will make a big difference on the PUP with cooling too, as it has a UV rated material underneath. and now I can leave the windows open a bit and not worry about rain getting in.

Dubbya, That was one of my main concerns. I didn't want water to pool up either. That is what happened to the original canopy in the first place. I guess we will see, we are leaving tonight for a long weekend trip. Of course they are calling for rain.

11. Carlosrod

Carlosrod New Member

Shelmily

That is Awesome!! and by the way, STOLEN. [}:)]
    My only question is how did you attach the velcro to the top?
    Did you use the peel-off type or did you do anything else?

I've been thinking about doing something similar do to the sun. This is something I will definetly consider.

Thanks again and Enjoy.

12. shelmily

The velcro is sewn on to the awning, and I used sticky back on the roof. I did go back and staple the velcro to the roof every 6" or so just for insurance.

13. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Well, have a great time anyway!

14. billangiep

billangiep Member

Nice job....Very Handsome !!

15. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Looks good, great job.

16. Ductape

Ductape Well-Known Member

That's fantastic ! Very nice job.

17. jackk

jackk Member

Nicely done, going to steal the PVC config, very slick.

18. shelmily

Happy to report that I just got back from a 5 day camping trip, which included downpours, windy conditions, and sun too. The awning held up great. We had the windows open the whole time, and loved it. Definitely worth the effort to make.

Tracy D. likes this.
  19. Carlosrod

Carlosrod New Member

That's Awesome!!
    Glad to hear it worked and you are satisfied with it.

I want to do same, but having trouble locating canvass for it.
    Like you, I want it to look like it belongs and not like a half a-- job.

Anyway. We will continue to search.

20. Blue2

Blue2 I teach them how to light fires, safely.

Nice job and great documentation. I would do this of my pup didn't have a slide out dinette. I still may do it over the part that doesn't slide out to help my kitchen half breathe a little more. Just need to find time to mod after I fix my leaky deck box.