Another couple of PUGs questions

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by gerryrobinson, Apr 30, 2014.

1. gerryrobinson

gerryrobinson New Member

Hello all PUGs owners. I have a few questions about the Super High Wind model of the PUGS. The paracord that goes through the black nylon straps on top, does it move back and forth through the black nylon strapping. I would think that if the cord was allowed to move back and forth within the nylon, this would allow the whole blanket to move across from one side to the other (or at least bunch up). It would also cause friction and wear to the blanket if allowed to move. Does it look like the cord is sewn to the blanket where it exits the nylon strap to come down to the bottom of the bunk end. Or does it look like the cord is glued inside the nylon strapping all the way across? That leads me to my second question.

I didn't see any stitching along the sides of the nylon strapping to attach it to the blanket in the pictures I've come across. Does it look like it is stitched or glued together? I would think that if it was stitched, that would allow water through (although the PUGs are really there to keep the heat out/in and not the water. But if it is glued together, what type of adhesive would be used that would be water/uv/heat proof and not separate over time. Especially the amount of heat generated on the top side of the blanket in the blistering sun.

And one last question, what specific purpose do the black toggles serve just as the paracord exits the nylon strapping?

Just wondering from those who own and have experience with these PUGs, specifically the SHW model. Thanks in advance for all responses.

2. jmcclung11

jmcclung11 Active Member

The black toggles make it so the pugs don't slide back and forth. I guess that answers 2 of your questions! I love mine and highly recommend them.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3!

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

The PUGs are stitched, including the casing for the shock cord (not paracord), made by the webbing.

The black toggles adjust the tension on the shock cords. Depending on where each of the cords is attached, they may need to be longer or shorter. It isn't very clear in this photo, but you might be able to tell that the distance to the A-frame changes as it narrows toward the front.

The shock cord can move in the webbing channel, but the tension of the shock cord keeps the PUGs from see-sawing back and forth. In really high winds, the PUGs can lift a bit off of the bunk end, but they do stay in place. The optional addition of Velcro, which we have, at the roof edge helps to stabilize the PUG even more.

We just got back from a weekend at Chaco NHP. Our best estimate of the sustained winds is in the 40-50 mph range, with higher gusts (it was snowing horizontally at one point. While the PUGs did lift a bit at the ends, and are a little worse for wear, but they stayed in place; DH did tighten up the shock cords a bit. We had the high wind version on our previous pup, and had the clamps, used instead of the shock cords, pop off of the side edges.
    We have done a ring mod on ours, with each side's set of 5 clips is attached to one ring, which is hooked on a lash hook under the bunk. It is easier for me to deal with 4 rings than with the 20 clips, but YMMV.

If you have other concerns, contact Bob at PUGs, he is very helpful.

We use them in all weather conditions, and accept that ours will probably wear out in less time than most PUGs - high altitude, lots of sun and UV, lots of wind, lengthy use each year. The horrendous weather this weekend added sand blasting, ice pellet blasting and lots of flexing in the wind (at times, the wind got under the PUGs, so they were stretched pretty tight).[​IMG]PUGs using rings by kitphantom, on Flickr

4. gerryrobinson

gerryrobinson New Member

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. It was exactly the info I was looking for.