Another Loose dogs in camp annoyance

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Leyster, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Leyster

Leyster Revelstoke, B.C.

This weekend we were camping at our favorite campground and this group was there before us and had been there a few days already, we brought our dog with us as always. This group of about 12 had 4 sites and 4 dogs that were running loose thru the campground including coming to our table to check what we were eating, our dog in the camper going ballistic barking. She stays in camper while we are there as she is old and sleeps most of the time. She will play with other dogs if we let her but her back goes out and she suffers for days if we allow her to play rough. While 6 of the people stood on the road by our site talking all 4 dogs came to us, then one decided to leave a calling card. We looked at the people, no one moved so we picked up and threw in garbage. A few hours later, wanting to have a snack, went to the table and luckily I smelt the calling card before stepping in it so bag it up again and took to their site and left it by their trailer, they were away. Later we noticed a second bag there not from us. Today as they were packing up we walked our dog and picked up 2 more piles from them, they had to hear us complain loudly but no one came to help or apologize. One couple had a 4 yr old in barefeet running around, do they not think what he steps in, do they not pick up at home??????My rant. Thank you. The camp hosts had spoke to them about it before we got there but the hosts didn't have the authority to ask them to leave.

2. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Yup...they call me the bag lady. Always have in FL, WI, and now here in VA. We walk away from home with dogs on leashes, come home with dogs on leashes and a few WM bags swinging in the breeze. So I understand you totally.

At campgrounds, I've been known to witness such an event as yours, bag it up, and lay in on the offender's picnic table. People are SO freakin anal about their picnic tables...as if they're sterile with a cheap table cloth on them...it hits them just as good as hitting 'em in the pocket book! [LOL] [LOL] If I weren't already well versed, I'd have learned a few new words from those folks when they returned to camp. [;)] [}:)]

I have no pity for lazy folks. NONE. So beware!! Don't stomp that flaming bag on your front porch! [LOL] [LOL] Actually, with pups, hanging the bag from the door knob is a GREAT way for about a half hour of cheap entertainment. "No! You take it off! No Mom, YOU take it off........" [LOL] [LOL]

[:D]

3. skysummit

skysummit Member

Some people just seem to live in their own little world with no concern for others. Being new to the pop up camping scene, I don't know if I'll be able to be as reserved as some of you when I come upon situations like this.

4. Loraura

Loraura New Member

I guess they assume if the deer and racoons poop all over, their dog should, too.

5. froggie

froggie New Member

Our dogs are leashed or in the pup. If they poop, we scoop. Really pisses me off when people don't take responsibility for their dogs or kids.

6. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Guess I've been lucky. Never had a dog eliminate on our site. If that happened, I'd likely take our lab over to their site and let her go to it. When the shoes on the other foot, maybe their lightbulb will go on.

7. JulesCamper

JulesCamper Indianapolis, IN

My dogs stay on our site so we can pick up after them. I would not want other dogs on our site because it is not fair that dogs can run free when ours have to be leashed. They usually just curl up at my feet.

8. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

I enjoy being able to let Fang run around. He does, too! He doesn't go far, though. (Terrier/chicken mix)

9. BratsMuttsNFish

BratsMuttsNFish New Member

That's terrible, some people are so inconsiderate. I had a run in with a loose dog a few years ago. I was walking our late American Pit Bull Terrier and my Yorkshire Terrier when we passed by one camper and a group of adults sitting outside and their English Bulldog ran after and started attacking my Pit Bull. I was screaming at their dog, trying to pull him off of my dog, they immediately ran for their dog and grabbed him and started to apologize. Luckily none of the dogs were injured and it was all over very quickly, but I was furious b/c I always keep my dogs either on a leash or in the crate while camping.

10. joet

joet Well-Known Member

You were a lot more polite than I am. I would have empted the bagged "card" on their table. Instead of hanging the bag on the door. Am just being a good neighbor by returning whats theirs!

11. kmh1596

kmh1596 Wilbraham, MA

It's unfortunate that you had to camp next to these people. Did you say anything to the campground management or park ranger? We had this same experience on a previous trip, knew that management cannot change something that they were not notified of.

If not, I wouldn't expect their behavior to change.

Hopefully, you won't let this experience ruin this park for you.

12. RhinoDave

RhinoDave Active Member

Years ago, I had a neighbor behind us that just let their Husky out the back door. It would promptly head over into our yard to make his daily deposit. After asking numerous times to prevent this from happening (I had small kids then), I bagged up several deposits and left the bags on their back porch. Even this failed to stop the problem so I developed the process of just picking up the pile with my shovel and flinging it as close the their back porch as possible. This last measure finally stopped the problem and I added a fence to make sure shortly after. When camping, I usually drop uninvited piles off at the owners car door or in the vicinity of their picnic table. After spending about four hours in an urgent care facility last June with a dog bite that required stitches, I also carry a very large walking stick now when walking around a campground. Even leashed, untrained dogs are dangerous.

13. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Haha.. I'd keep packs of fire crackers near my door.. One day I caught them doing it while my wife's parents were over, I threw a pack right under the dogs butt as it started exploding. The neighbor yelled at me saying I was crazy, I yelled back and told her to keep her f'ing dogs of my lawn.. My father-in law is a Baptist minister and Totally approved

CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM.

2000 Land Rover Discovery, loaded with ARB and ready for the end of the world.
    2008 Fleetwood Evolution E3, loaded and ready for the end of the world.
    1967 Heckaman Manufacturing, "Phoenix" 18FT travel trailer.. Beginning of Mobile Man-Cave process.