Another Minnesotan joins the list

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Strikeouthhh, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Strikeouthhh

Strikeouthhh Member

New adventures ahead ... Eventually.

Just picked up a mousy 1991 Viking SP175, towed it home with a '10 Jetta TDI stick - and got 40mpg in heavy Metro traffic for an hour and a half!

Grew up envious of the cousins and grands at the family get togethers as we set up tents and they hopped in their pop ups. finally have my own!

Plenty to do with canvas and cushions, but mechanically it seems pretty sound.

Wish me luck!

2. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Congrats, soon no more sleeping on the ground !!

3. Back2Basics

Back2Basics Member

Congrats on your ntu pup,good luck and happy camping from CNY.

4. Strikeouthhh

Strikeouthhh Member

Thanks for the welcome!

A little more info:
    Just "bought" a 1991 Viking SP175 for $1 with mice issues - some staining and more than a few holes. Hoping DW will let us take it out before the canvas is replaced - not only the cash but the estimated 10 week lead time!

In deference to the PO, they admited they hadn't done any research before listing it on Craigslist, and got 7 offers after mine. A man of integrity, he honored the deal.

I'll replace the mattresses with futons (plenty around the metro area on craigslist)

I've gotten it cleaned out and so far it's mechanically sound. Checking the fridge tonight and picking up an extra LP tank.

5. drosengrant

drosengrant One Day at a Time

Welcome and good luck from Northern New Jersey.

6. Keith Hawkins

Keith Hawkins Active Member

Welcome to the portal, you will find a lot of good advice and great people on here.

7. jbirdt2001@yahoo.com

jbirdt2001@yahoo.com Active Member

Welcome to the portal from North Dakota enjoy the wealth of information on this site

8. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Welcome, always glad to see another fellow Minnesotan on board! Sounds like you have a decent amount of work ahead of you with the popup project, but hard to go wrong with the price. It is nice to hear that the deal worked out, you don't hear stories like that every day, so often he with the higher offer walks away with the prize.

We got ours quite cheap as well, and had some cleaning to do before it was camping-worthy. But I patched the canvas with Tear-Aid and figured that if we were into it enough, may consider new canvas down the road some.

So you really towed with a Jetta? That is not something I've seen before, but what can you say if it works, sure hard to beat that mileage. One of the benefits of the smaller popups.

9. vmswilliamson

vmswilliamson Member

Congratulations on your NTU pup. You and your DW should check out pinterest. There are a lot of ideas for storage and also decorating. You can take that $1 pup and make it a show stopper! Have fun with the repairs.

10. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Greetings from a fellow Minnesotan. Hope you get lots of enjoyment from your PUP. Happy Camping.