another newbie (to batteries) question

Discussion in 'Power - Site Power/Batteries/Generators/Solar' started by kitphantom, Aug 30, 2011.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

We just bought a 2010 Coleman Cobalt. The dealer told us the battery is an Interstate deep-cycle marine battery, but I have not gotten into the case to see the rest of the details.
    How long will this run the 2 LED lights? I installed 2.52 watt bulbs to replace the original incandescent ones. We have a battery powered LED lantern that runs 2-3 weeks (or more) on one set of batteries, so am I correct in assuming we can use the ceiling lights for 3-4 hours a night for several nights on the pup's battery? We will not have hook-ups over the weekend, and can use the lantern if need be; I doubt we will be using the furnace.

How do I figure out how long the furnace can be used, for future trips? We don't want to get into using a generator, so will plan on coping with the cold as we have done for 2 decades, unless we have hook-ups [plus there's the whole question of LP use, but we can add a second bottle at some point.]

2. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Kit-
    Nice move on the LED's. You should get a week easily from the battery if you are only using it to power the LED's. Less if you breakdown and decide that warmth from the furnace is good. If you want both heat and light, and to save the battery, check into a Mr Buddy heater and a hose and an extra propane bottle. Refletix and Gizmos of course.

If you are not using the inside stove, the propane bottle will give several nights of continuous warmth. If you use the furnace just to take the chill off in the morning the bottle will last about forever. 5-10 minutes of furnace use daily will not deplete your battery to any great extent. Just make sure it's fully charged before you go.

I won't use the G word, but have you thought of looking into a solar charging panel? Ogeer and14erfam use them.
    MR

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The Gizmos are on the way, may not have them for this weekend.

We briefly looked at the solar panels at the dealership, but DH isn't convinced "we" need one. I don't know enough, at least yet, about what size we would need, and how to protect them from wind, etc. We'll see how the LED lights works on this trip.

The furnace is probably going to be used less on non-hook up trips with DH than if I go with friends. For the trips he and I took over the last year in colder weather, we aimed for hook-up sites if we could. The friend who goes camping with me the most has Raynauld's syndrome, so now that we have the furnace, it will get used if it get chilly. We usually only camp about 5 nights on one of the "ladies' trips", so I hope the battery would last if we use the furnace judiciously. If we get to going more in cold weather, I may consider an auxiliary heater, definitely another LP tank.

4. ogeer3

ogeer3 New Member

At 2.5W / LED bulb and 2 Bulbs you should be able to go for a couple of weeks with no problems.
    The heater is another problem. On the heater the problem is the blower motor and how much time it runs. You need to know how much current the motor draws, 2.5A, 5A, or what ever. The next thing you need to know is how much time the blower runs over night. It may only run 15 minutes at a time but if it runs 15 min on and 15 off for a total of 8 hours that would be 30 min / hour X 8 hrs or a total of 4 hrs. For simplicity lets say the motor draws 5A X 4 hrs you will use 20 Amp Hours of 12V power from the battery/night. If you have a 100AH battery and you do not run it below 50% you can go 2 1/2 nights.
    You can use an amp meter to measure the current when the motor is on and check the battery for what it's amp hour rating is. Or check with the dealer for those specs.
    If you consider solar panels in the future remember what ever you use over night has to be replaced during the day. Shade from the trees and clouds don't count toward charging time.