Another off leash dog gripe

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by kudzu, Feb 21, 2017.

1. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

"Sometimes you have to let the big dog eat"

myride likes this.
  2. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Haha ... She is 85 lb and very strong. She usually ignores people till they corner want to hug her....Wtf is wrong with people she ONLY lets us and our immediate family hug and pet her. She is a chocolate lab but she is more if rhe Shepard she is a mix of...

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I honestly can't imagine what people are thinking by approaching other people's dogs. Kids should even be taught not to ever do this.

Still can't wrap my head around people who let their dogs roam, either. Aside from other people, anything could happen to the dog. Someone may feel intimated and shoot it. Could be bit by a snake, tangle with a raccoon, or any number of things.

Both of our dogs stay on a leash full time. Prior to fixing my bunk elastic, they even stayed on long leashes at night. I was afraid they would push out a bunk end, so had them on long leads inside, so they couldn't hang themselves, but couldn't get far. With the new elastic, they would have to make enough commotion to wake me up, so they don't have to have them on at night.

Our pit bull would never leave the campsite, leash or not. She is very, very trustworthy. However, it would freak people out and it's against the rules at all the places we go. Our GSD may try to leave, but would respond to voice commands. But, .. rules are rules and, even in the absence of rules, I feel it would make people uncomfortable to see them loose on our site. They are NOT aggressive, even if approached, but look intimidating.

Jorja likes this.
  4. Orchid

Just to show how looks can be deceiving, and why you should always teach your children to not approach dogs -

We used to own a pair of miniature dachshund sisters that would rip your face off. We had to re-home them, as they were a danger to our grandchildren. We now own a pit bull and GSD that are perfectly child friendly. (both came to us by accident. Didn't intend to get any more dogs at all) Here is a photos of offenders. I'm not joking. This is a true story.

[​IMG]

tombiasi likes this.
  5. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

If I saw those two coming my way I would get the bear spray ready.

6. Orchid

:D And you should! They were CRAZY. LOL They were blood thirsty little beasts in disguise.

They are one person dogs, and if you were not that one person, they felt you were better off dead. Now they live with a single older lady, and I can guarantee you they are better protection than our Pitbull and German Shepherd! Those dogs would jump on an intruder and rip their throat out. I am so not exaggerating.

7. Mom26mimzi21

Mom26mimzi21 New Member

We are planning on taking our 5 month old puppy with us. Already plan on keeping him on lead. He doesn't bark at home, but will only know how he'll react in campground once we're there. Any word of advice are welcomed!

8. myride

myride Well-Known Member

Have a muzzle handy.....[:D]

f5moab and Mom26mimzi21 like this.
  9. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

[​IMG]

myride likes this.
  10. Orchid

I would make his first trip close to home, just in case it doesn't go well. This is what we do with all of our dogs. We have a state park about 15 minutes away, and we take them "test camping" there.

11. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

This is so true. My two boys, especially my youngest, is a huge dog lover and wants to pet everyone's dog. But we taught him from the earliest age that he has to ASK first. And he always does. The vast majority of the time the owner is happy to oblige.

Orchid likes this.
  12. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

We owned a male mini .He bit a few people and started to get aggressive with my son. which made no sense as they grew up together and slept together too.
    We ended up rehoming him. He still bit a few people in the new place. He cannot be boarded so he does return to us and spends 3 to 4 weeks when the new owners travel.
    Now my son is 7 and bigger. He seems mellow to him. But also my 85 lb lab gsd mix watches him like a hawk .

Orchid likes this.
  13. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

That's really nice of you to dogsit your ex-dog, Silverfz. People who take in difficult dogs have a really hard time with boarding and things like that. I think a lot of the dogs get dumped at the shelter because of it and the cycle continues until the dog is put down (although I assume in this case, the new owners knew what they were getting into!).

Orchid likes this.
  14. Orchid

That is really is awesome! Makes it nice for all involved and definitely saved the dog.

As cute as they are these are the only dogs we ever had to re-home. It never dawned on me to volunteer to babysit the dogs, if needed, but I should have.

We did insist that they go to a one adult household with no children, even visiting ones. We visited the home, spent lots of time with the lady that took them and did quite a few introductory sessions at her home before they stayed for good. They also came with a lifetime return offer, no questions asked.

These were very much one person dogs and would bite anyone else, including family members who lived with them. They needed someone who was alone and needed companions. That's exactly where they went and I can assure you nobody would have a chance to ever get near this woman with those two around.

15. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

The new owners knew what they were getting into. He did bite the older daughters boy friend. It has taken years but he has calmed down a bit. We camp alot with kids and he was a constant threat to bite. Now they do not camp and he lives with another doxie, a golden retrieve and a terrier. He is fine now as per them. Now my son has gotten older so if he ever needs a home he can always come back. Also he is plump and content. When with me he would hike and hike and was all muscle and attitude.

Orchid likes this.
  16. TRR

TRR Active Member

Her father may have considered that a point in the dog's favor. :D

Orchid likes this.
  17. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

Confessing my ignorance. i do not know which of the 2 women is the dad . They are good friends on facebook and we do see them a few times in some parties and when they drop and pickup bear.

18. PointyCamper

PointyCamper Active Member

Not a gripe- we had a very nice experience at our last camping trip.
    2 very young girls, accompanied by their mom, came over to ask if they could pet our dogs, were they friendly? We explained the little one was not but the big one loves people. They both were petting our dog and hugging her. When told that the dog liked to eat grass, they were feeding the dog handfuls of grass and just enjoying dog company.
    The girls and their mom could not have been nicer. Enjoy talking with nice people with nice kids:) Good camping day :)

19. TRR

TRR Active Member

They sound like tough women.
    [​IMG]

tfischer likes this.
  20. 12bar

12bar New Member

I just don't understand why people think it's OK to let their dog run free.