Another question about mattresses

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by BikerGeek, Nov 13, 2020.

1. BikerGeek

BikerGeek New Member

I've seen a few discussions about mattresses however none really answered the questions I have. My 2002 Coleman Taos's, that I just purchased a month or so ago, mattresses are toast. I was thinking of just purchasing 3-4 inch memory foam toppers. Anyone had any luck with these or are there other ideas?

grandpa mikey likes this.
  2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We used a 3 inch topper on top of our stock mattresses. It was quite comfortable and we had enough room to close it up with the topper on.

I don't think a topper by itself would work well. You'd end up hitting the wood. I've heard of someone who did interlocking mats (like those from Harbor Freight) under a topper.

BikerGeek likes this.
  3. BikerGeek

BikerGeek New Member

Thanks. I figured that'd be the case. I had even thought of getting air mattresses and then deflating them when I put it down though I don't think you could get too thick of one in there without it being impossible to get in lol.

4. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

There are several folks here that use air mattresses. I don't like them because they always seem to deflate in the middle of the night, probably due to falling temperatures reducing the air pressure inside.

wusthof and jmkay1 like this.
  5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

It depends on the foam topper. With many foams rated as "toppers", you will be hitting the wood if that's all you're using. With our first pup, we replaced all the foam with firmer foam (we have a local foam and fabric places that has a dozen or more choices). We ended up adding a 1" memory foam topper to the bunk, because foam firm enough not to sit out for seats was too firm even for us to sleep on. 1" was all we could use and close the roof.
    In the second popup, we added memory foam to the original mattresses, we could use 2"there, as long as we removed bedding. If we had kept that pop up, our place was to use Therm-A-Rest mattresses to replace the original foam, topped with memory foam. The Therm-A-rests are combination foam and air, so can be adjusted for firmness, warmer than air only mattresses, and deflated for travel.

6. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

Our hybrid mattresses are foam and only 3 or 4 inches thick and I sink straight to the wood when on my side. We added a 3 inch memory foam topper and that makes it so my hips and shoulders don't hurt in the morning.

I don't think just the topper would be enough.

7. BikerGeek

BikerGeek New Member

Thanks for all the replies. I guess we're going to have to do some testing lol. Since it's going to be only my wife and I using it initially I think we'll purchase some of the anti fatigue mats from Harbor Freight and some regular foam (if it can be found) followed by a memory foam topper and go from there.

8. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Before you acquire too many things, make sure you do the tissue box test, so you know how much room you have to work with when the camper is closed. Put an empty tissue box (or a box of similar weight) on top of the bed platform. Close the popup up fully. Open it again, and the height of the now-squished box is how much you have to work with.
    While foam does compress, you don't want to do it too much, it's not great for the foam and it creates upward pressure on the roof, etc. In our Cobalt, the 2" memory foam had an outline of the door handle (it stored on the ceiling) in it when we opened it up. We also found we needed a bit of patience to close the roof in cold weather, since the memory foam is stiffer when cold.

Toni Ricks and Susan Premo like this.
  9. drocks

drocks Member

https://colemanpopupparts.com/

These guys have replacement mattresses using a higher density foam than the originals. They are a bit pricey though.