Another trip to Brown County State Park

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by bluegrassfan76, Sep 29, 2019.

1. bluegrassfan76

bluegrassfan76 Member

brown county camping 2019.jpg Last weekend my wife and I went back to Brown County State Park in central Indiana. We live in central Illinois but head that way once in a while so we can check out the shops in Nashville and more importantly go a few miles up the road to the little town of Bean Blossom where the Bill Monroe Music Park is located. We have been to the Bean Blossom bluegrass festival a couple times in June and this time we chose to spend a day at the Uncle Pen Days festival. Brown County State Park is a beautiful park with multiple hiking trails, a lodge, horseback riding and magnificent views. The park is always clean and well maintained. The only complaint we have is that each time we have camped there the showers have been lukewarm to cool. Hard to shower in cool water. I suppose they do that to save money but they shouldn't be hurting for cash as you pay an entrance fee to get into the state park and while we were there all 420 sites were full at $35/night!! If you don't mind cool water in your shower it is a great place to camp with much to see and do in the area.

Byrd_Huntr, hq308 and Arlyn Aronson like this.
  2. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We've tried to get down to Brown C for a mountain bike and blue grass festival but we couldn't ever make it. Thanks for posting a picture.

bluegrassfan76 likes this.
  3. bluegrassfan76

bluegrassfan76 Member

Yes, I forgot to mention the mountain bike trails. There was quite a large group of bikers there while we were camping last weekend.

4. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

What time are you trying to shower? How many sites per bath house? I have found three decent shots for hot water in a crowded CG. My favorite is very early in the morning, because I'm awake way before sunrise everyday. I put on the coffee when leaving and it's ready when I get back so I can enjoy some reading in the quiet before everyone gets up. Second choice is noon to mid afternoon while most are busy playing, but it isn't as reliable as the first. Even if the water isn't the warmest, it's not as bad in the heat of the day. Last choice is very late. I'm up early, so I'd rather not be up late. Sometimes you get hot, sweaty, and dirty. Those days I suck it up and wait until the showers have been empty for a while and go for it.

5. bluegrassfan76

bluegrassfan76 Member

Usually fairly late after the bluegrass festival ends for the night or we are done with our campfire time and are ready for bed. Most of the times we have showered there we have been about the only ones in the shower house and we have used a couple different houses as they have several due to the size of the campground.

6. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Nice! I have some friends who live adjacent to the park. If you saw an elderly couple with dogs, the woman carrying a camera, it was probably them. ;) We usually hop off that exit on the way to Michigan, so maybe I should spend a couple days there some time.

bluegrassfan76 likes this.
  7. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

It’s a great area, we haven’t camped there in quite some time. The deer used to be all over the park. Would come right up to the campsites looking for handouts. My mother loved seeing the deer.

8. bluegrassfan76

bluegrassfan76 Member

We have been there three or four times over the past few years and I don't think I have seen a deer.

9. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

I have been camping there since 1990. We like the SP. Nice CG.

In the early 90's the deer were not afraid of humans because the SP had not allowed hunting since the 1930's. The deer would come right into your CS while you were sitting around. Somewhere in the late 90's they re-introduced hunting in the park because it was not natural for deer to come that close to humans.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2019
  10. Pommom70

Pommom70 Member

Both times we were in the park was November. I do know the rangers were going to allow hunters because there was a high amount of deer.

11. Camper054

Camper054 Active Member

I wish we could see a deer. We just camped there last weekend - our first camping, but we have been to the park many times before. It was a good experience and definitely we will go again next year - it is getting too cold now and kids have plans for next couple of weekends - band competition etc.! Otherwise, I would have tried there one more time as the fall colors will peak in a week or two.
    IMG_20191020_114645.jpg
    IMG_20191020_085031.jpg

Pommom70 and Rik Peery like this.