Another window AC install. How I did it...

Discussion in 'Heating / Cooling Systems' started by hsr, Jun 13, 2013.

1. hsr

hsr Member

Ever since I saw the thread by 3pillions on how he did his window AC install, I wanted something similar. Problem for me is, I don't have that/enough space between either of my bunk ends and main windows AND was not about to cut through my canvas, windows or screens.

I also wanted something a little more attractive than the ones that set the air conditioner on a plastic shelving unit and use a solar blanket to cover the window. NO OFFENSE is meant by that statement (just a matter of personal preference). I wish I could remember who was the originator of that idea, because it's what actually got me thinking about where I've ended up. So thank you.

Here's how I did mine:

First, I found a nearly new Kenmore 8000btu remote control unit on Craigslist. Using the dimensions of the air conditioner itself, I made this bracket out of some old/reused angle iron.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pivot points are a couple of 1/4" bolts that I just welded the inside to the angle itself. That allows it to fold for less space in transport/stowage. [​IMG]

The frame gets attached to the pup box with three 1/4"-20 x 1" stainless screws set in rivnuts.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

And supported by a piece of 1/2" EMT conduit that mimics a bunk end support. I simply added another cutout slot in the trailer frame to accommodate the lower end of the support.
    [​IMG]

I found some 50mil thick heavy clear vinyl in the fabric department at Walmart (Jo-Anne fabrics has it also, but it was much more expensive there) for about $6 a yard. I cut this piece to match with width of my window/canvas between the top supports and tall enough to tuck in under the top between the canvas and the top itself. On the ends, I sandwiched the vinyl between a length of 1 x 3 and 1 x 2 that matches the height of the vinyl. You can see this in the following pictures.

I installed the bracket, set the AC unit on it and put the full piece of clear vinyl against the outside of the screen. I traced the outline of the AC unit onto the vinyl, then reduced that opening by 3" to give me material for an outward facing flange or collar.
    [​IMG]

I cut a 3" wide strip of the vinyl a couple of inches longer than the perimeter of the AC unit and using Gorilla tape, attached it to the flange/collar. Here is that from the outside.
    [​IMG] and from the inside [​IMG]
    I would have preferred to use some heavy nylon here with a sewn in draw string, but I don't have a sewing machine, so this is as good as it gets for now. I also still need to paint the boards white.

Set the AC unit back on the bracket
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and added a ratchet strap to cinch down the flange/collar around the AC unit. This is done for airflow, not to hold anything in place.

Run the electric cord inside and roll down the factory window.
    [​IMG]

At night, I can pull the right side curtain over to the unit. The left side one I can pin up above the unit.

Again the AC is remote, so I can still adjust the settings from inside the camper.

Thanks again for the inspirations. We're going camping tomorrow for the weekend, so I'll let you know how it works out next week.

2. heckufaguy

heckufaguy New Member

Looks good! You might have a business in the a/c bracket industry! :)

3. Starcraft Away

Starcraft Away New Member

well done , I can see other members emulating your design. I no longer have a pup but if I did ,I would be considering this for sure. [:D] [HY]

4. hsr

hsr Member

Thank you guys!

Forgot to add, the window part rolls up for storage.
    [​IMG]

5. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

Is it just me, or do these pictures take forever to down load?

6. 3sons

3sons Only good at Drinking Beer

Man thats a sweet design!! i love the way it folds up for stroage and no cutting of the canvas. I will be using this design for sure. Thanks for sharing it will save a lot of money from the roof top a/c unit i was looking at yesterday.Thanks.

7. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Well thought out and nicely done!

What do you do when you don't need A/C? How do you close up the hole in the window?

8. hsr

hsr Member

Dub,

Actually I don't need ac here right now. Having the other windows open is enough. The factory screen and window are both still in place and fully functional. I can and think I will roll the left side towards the ac unit if I need a breeze in that spot.

9. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

I see it all now... Great idea!

10. candleems

candleems Member

I would love to have a bracket like yours. Would even pay to have one made (hint, hint). I use the shelf and the gizmo. It works and was relatively cheap. But, I agree, not very attractive. And a pain to put at the window.

11. turborich

turborich Active Member

I am not easily impressed but I must say that you did a fine job with this A/C set up. It's very neat and clean, There is no permanent damage to your pop up and you even used the riv-nuts. My only change would to possibly use velcro around where the A/C unit goes into the opening.

Might want to look into a patent or at least offer this for sale to fellow pup owners. [2C]

Awesome job!!!

12. George Rose

George Rose Member

I suppose this does look better than the aluminum walker I used to use as a stand for our A/C! Good job .

13. hsr

hsr Member

I had a request to repost my pictures to this thread. Here they are:

14. hsr

hsr Member

Post to replace picture:

15. Glamping Pup

Glamping Pup New Member

Thanks for including all the photos and how you did it. I've watched a youtube video and seen some photos but nothing as detailed as yours.